Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here familiar with DVD burners? Like which ones are good/bad etc? I'm looking to get one, but what's the difference between a $100 and a $300 one? I assume there's some sort of quality in the parts and how long it'll last, but will I ever notice any difference in DVD burn quality? :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
_G_ said:
Anyone here familiar with DVD burners? Like which ones are good/bad etc? I'm looking to get one, but what's the difference between a $100 and a $300 one? I assume there's some sort of quality in the parts and how long it'll last, but will I ever notice any difference in DVD burn quality? :dontknow:
You won't notice any diff. in DVD quality, they are all just burning 1s and 0s like the rest. Usaully the biggest diff. besides what you already mentioned is SPEED and better software to go along with the unit and compatibility with differant DVD media types. I use some lower quality burners but they haven't failed yet and I already have good software.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
software and computer speed. burner doesn't matter very much cause the encoding process takes an ass long time anyway

·
Registered
536 Posts
Are you looking for a drive to add to your computer or a standalone device to hook to your TV? I bought a Cyberhome DVD recorder from Brandsmart, but it locks up after an hour or two of recording. I lost a lot of good races that way. I sent it back to them under warranty, but the hassle factor is not even worth it. Another piece of Chinese garbage. :rant:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I use Pioneer and Sony

depending on how you will use it (home videos, copying movies, backing up data etc) consider a dual layer burner with at least 16X or above write speeds. Dual layer DVD's are more expensive right now, but hold a lot more data (8.5 GB's and up). They are great for burning todays long ass movies and backing up tons of data. Even if you plan to only burn standard DVD's, you'll have more flexibility in the future with dual layer.
Make sure it covers the whole gammet of formats.
Dual layer and Dual formats DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, CD-R, CD-RW. I think I have them all.
Like others mentioned, make sure the software bundle is what you like.
Sony I think comes with NERO
Pioneer comes with Movie Factory
I like them both

BTW- You can get these under a 100 bucks
good luck

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
they all basically use the same internals, its the software that makes the difference. I sat at best buy and looked at a plextor, pionner, sony, hp, and memorex. Prices ranged from $60 with rebate - $179. I will pay for quality if the price deems it, but the real big difference, hp can use light scribe to etch b/w labels on a disc, big whoop it takes forever, article just done on this in pc magaizine i believe. They all came with nero 6, not sure if hp did. Anyways, as i narrow it down, this computer looking dork comes over, not a best buy guy, they dont know jack, we chat, he asks which i am considering, he then goes, your wasting your money, i have the memorex and its great. DONE, i bought the cheapest one there, a memorex for $60, came with nero 6, and it works like a champ.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so its sounding like the price difference is mainly software related. Cool, so a cheapy it is =)

BTW - I am mainly looking at external USB drives. That's why my cost listed above is so high...

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
well, nero 6 is from what i heard the best and easiest to use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts