Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunlop has set a pretty high standard already around track paddocks in the U.S. with their 208 GP-A series, which has become highly popular among the ranks of some of the top riders in the AMA, CCS, WERA, AFM, and WSMC racing organizations.

One of the problems though that a lot of riders who didn't have immediate access to a suspension guru in-between track sessions was the need to setup your suspension around the dunlops. Bridgestone, Pirelli, and Michelin have been labeled as "bolt-on and go" tires, making it much easier on privateer riders and track day riders who don't have a big grasp on suspension setup.

Dunlops answer is the D208GP-JLB. Dunlop points out a few advantages to their JLB (Jointless Band) construction, one of them being "rider-friendly set-up". They also claim the tires to give "top-level traction and exceptionally responsive turning characteristics."

Will they ? Well you guys are in luck because I'll be testing these bad boys out on monday at WSIR, and i'll get to see first hand how they'll react to a somewhat basic suspension setup, with no changes to fit the dunlops...

Features include...

- Race compound and track profile for unparalleled grip, excellent exit drive, steering response, and superior on-track handling.

- The new construction allows improved bump absorption, and a more forgiving nature for racers who need to change lines in corners.

- Developed in the USA to specifically meet the needs of racers and sport bike riders in the United States..

I'm actually excited to test these tires out. If in fact they can pull off the "bolt-on" performance with minimal bike set up, I'd be very tempted to run Dunlop's for the complete race season...

I'll keep you posted after monday...

cheers... brian - mri

...If you guys are interested in these tires now and are interested in trying them out yourself, we have them available for a great price, so PM me if you're interested...

·
OG Post Whore
10,400 Posts
i cant wait as well, dont forget pics

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I am confused a little. I know Dunlop has been touting JLB technology for a couple of years now. Were the old 208GPs not JLB? I am pretty sure the street 208's were JLB tires, as were the 207's.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Zeta,

They have had the JLB in their street tires for a while but for whatever reason never brought it to their DOT race tires. The GP-A tire they currently use has a tendancy to be brutal without setting the bike up to the needs of the tire. Dunlop says the JLB technology in the GP-A tire will yield bolt-on performance right off the bat...

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I have not been impressed with the 208GP's previously for exactly the reason you were talking about. It was not a friendly tire at all, IMHO. I even tried a lot of tweeks to get the bike where it was comfortable but with no success. I am interested to see what you find.

I know a lot of guys who think the Dunlops are the best and fastest tire around due to the success they see in AMA Pro Racing. But for some reason, I just have the feeling that the Dunlops we can buy are a long way from the 17" tires the pros get and even further away from the tires Mat Mladin gets.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Zeta,

The GP-A tire they currently use has a tendancy to be brutal without setting the bike up to the needs of the tire.
I can vouch for that!:angryfire

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hillcountry10r said:
I can vouch for that!:angryfire
So can I...

I was out as WSIR on race weekend last month. Prior to that weekend I had been circulating between Pirelli, Michelin, and Bridgestone on both the Big track and streets of willow. I ran out of tire on my BT-002's in the morning and switched over to the GP-A.

So I come over T6 and I'm wide open heading through T7 doing well over 140. Well the profile of the Dunlop didnt like something and I got a wobble that had me tempted to ride off the track into the porta-poddy and empty my pants. So I get through T8 and T9 onto the straightaway and adjust my damper on the fly, lol, 160mph down the front straight making adjustments to my damper before T1. I set it to full hard and couldn't make it through the infield, lol, but I got through to T6 again hoping I would have killed the wobble but sure enough it was there. after some front end adjustments the wobble went away, but man did that first stint suck. I talked to the Dunlop guy and he confirmed my theory about setting up for dunlop.

I'll let you know what happens with the JLB...

cheers... brian - mri

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
TOP SHELF has been helping me for over a month now, trying to get my crap sorted out. Im new to all this suspension crap, but hes getting it straightened out over the internet. Pretty cool I think! I went from the 218s to the 190/60 gpa's and talk about head shake:eyecrazy: Dont get me started! I dont even want to get into it. It will be fixed soon I hope, and Im gonna try to post our month long conversation for someone else who perhaps has had the same problem I've been having...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts