Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunlop Testing Part 2…

Well a few days ago I started a thread on the new Dunlop 208GP-A / JLB tires. The JLB (Jointless Band) construction technology has been around in Dunlop’s street tires for quite sometime but just recently Dunlop decided to bring the JLB construction to their DOT race tires. The JLB construction version of the very popular 208GP-A is claimed to yield “bolt-on” performance off the shelf, with minimal bike set up. (The standard GP-A Dunlop often requires a decent change in suspension for optimal feel, and with no adjustments can be quite a rough ride)

Yesterday I was at WSIR testing these tires on my relatively stock ’04 GSX-R 750 “B” race bike. My “A” bike has the forks off it right now getting re-valved, so I was finally able to add to the 4 miles on the odometer and get some shakedown miles logged in. The “B” bike has the identical setup (other than gearing) that my “A” bike had two weeks ago when I was riding the standard 208GP-A tires, so making a comparison was going to be relatively accurate for my own calculating.

To be honest these tires had a lot of things against them right off the bat. I was on a bike I wasn’t familiar with (even though it’s the same bike, the gearing was off by two teeth, the full power potential wasn’t there yet, the braking was comparably weaker, and there is always that 50% mental issue knowing you’re on a new bike), I was going to be giving the bike a shakedown and knew I wouldn’t be 100% on the bike. So needless today heading out onto the track for the first session was a little funny, I didn’t know what to expect from these tires.

I decided to give myself three/four good laps before I start to bring my pace up to speed. Although I was running tire warmers, it was about 35 degrees at the track, and the track had been sitting in the middle of a frozen desert all night long, not to mention rain…so track conditions were much less than optimal. After four laps of shifting at 8K, braking at brake marker #1, and barely tapping my knees in the 4a/4b section I started to bring up the pace…and boy was I happy I was on those Dunlop’s.

I starting bringing up my pace and began to notice the immediate difference in these tires. Some could argue it was all in my head, but by lunch time, I was running a pace on these tires, with less than optimal suspension settings, with less than 100 miles on the bike, with WORSE gearing on this bike…FASTER than the last race weekend on my “A” bike. The rear tire felt 100% in the corners, and unlike the usual characteristics, wasn’t sliding around.

T2 at willow is about a 110-120mph turn, long right hander with less than a perfect surface. The surface changes and the bumps make the turn very intimidating to riders and you’ll notice that most people get a knee down In the beginning of the turn, and at the end of the turn. The middle gets a little hairy and if you don’t feel confident in your tires, you won’t keep her leaned over far enough to drag through the whole corner. The fast guys do it, but most of the novice guys just keep it hovering. My point here being, on these tires, by the third session, in cold weather, I was keeping my knee planted from entrance to exit, and not once did my tires slip, slide, shake, stutter, chatter, or give out.

I came into the pits between sessions and planted a thumb onto the rear tire. My thumb came off with rubber stuck to it. The tires were getting super hot and very sticky. The wear on the tires was very consistent as well and although I was beginning to get that ugly lopsided look in the rear from the T8/9 area, the tires felt 100% till the end of our day. Although sticky, and being run at a pretty high pace, the tires lasted great and will probably be usable for another full track day…which I’ll be doing tomorrow…in the rain. W00t!

Final review: On a one to ten scale I’d give these tires a 9.5 from personal experience. Excellent grip feel, Excellent life, Excellent mid-corner feel, and most of all, they really were a bolt-on and go tire. Two weeks ago on the “A” bike I was spitting blood about the standard GP-A being terrible, confused over what suspension/height adjustments I should make so they’d work, but today, I’m not spitting anything really…just amazed at how good these tires were…2 thumbs up, 5 stars, 9.5 outta 10.

Cheers… brian – mri

P.S. Sorry about the lack of pictures. It was a busy day out there. I was pretty much working on my bike in-between every session and didn’t have a lot of time to do anything else before getting back on track. Like I said the bike was going through its shakedown, so I was constantly tightening or re-rigging something before the next session. LOL, and at around 2:30 I was a little confused as to why my bike was running at 227 degrees when Ara’s ZX-10R wouldn’t pass 175 degrees……until I realized I was very low on water/water-wetter mix….heh…oops.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
So, the question is...

If you had the choice b/w the old GPA's and the new, which would it be?

Would they be a good choice for street tires as well?

And what is the price difference?

BTW Great write-up! Thanks and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well considering I was spitting blood at the old ones....and lapping faster on these...the JLBs...

Price difference isn't too big but it's there.

For street tires I wouldn't recommend the GP-A's. The compound is soft, and there isn't a lot of tread, so under real-world road conditions they may not be the best idea...

cheers...brian - mri

...thanks for the compliment on the write-up, i'll be sure to include pictures next week of this coming monday's track day...

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
For street tires I wouldn't recommend the GP-A's. The compound is soft, and there isn't a lot of tread, so under real-world road conditions they may not be the best idea...

cheers...brian - mri
Just FYI
Im no expert, and I agree the GPA's are not very good street tires, as far as the compound goes,
I've got 3000mi on mine, including burnouts at 1/4 mi track and runs down it, nasty burn out at whataburger afterwards in front of some chicks (That ironically my wife video taped...LOL), gnarly ~45second burn out for the camera, nose to nose with my buddy and his GSXR750(that was fun) several rolling burnouts and lots of pathetic wheelies.

The front is a soft and the rear is a med.

My biggest problem with the tires I have now is the fact that my suspension is feels significantly less confident inspiring now. I am getting closer though...

So I said all of that to say this I guess,

If you think these new tires could whoop the old ones I bet they're really good tires.

EDIT------I just re-read what you wrote and I think now you may be talking about "not much tread" like a slick or something, hence not good on the street/rain blablabla....If that is the case then this whole loooong post was a waste of time and space on the server...lol

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Frankyoz said:
What.....
:dontknow: :eyecrazy: :1848: :mrgreen: :laugh:

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
Were you saying it was a waste of a thread because they werent street tires? You were a little confusing there at the end.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Frankyoz said:
Were you saying it was a waste of a thread because they werent street tires? You were a little confusing there at the end.
I think Hill meant his own post was a waste of time. Not 100% sure though, that's just the way I took it.

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
Just to clear things up, the tread pattern is pretty much identical to the pattern on the GP-A's. They would make a good hi performance street tire, however, as with the GP-A's, the Supercorsa's, the BT002's and the Michelin H2's, they will wear quicker than a "regular" street tire.

later...Ara-mri

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I think he was trying to clarify what Brian meant by "not much tread". Whether it was the depth of the rubber on the tire or the quantity of tread grooves (for rain dispersion?).

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
zeta xray said:
I think he was trying to clarify what Brian meant by "not much tread". Whether it was the depth of the rubber on the tire or the quantity of tread grooves (for rain dispersion?).
Thats what I meant but I'm still retarted.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
We all are a little retarded, its a side effect of owning a zx-10, trying to comprehend what people say and think about riding the zx-10 all at the same time makes it hard on us

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just purchased a set of 208 GPA's with the rear being the new 190 60 series tire. Is this the same tire you're talking about? If so, the tire is 33mm taller than the stock tire and I when I ran the tire at speed, scary is an understatement. I've taken out the shock washer and I'm in the process of installing Ohlin forks and shock and will lower the rear end. I can't image the tire I'm running being anything like your experience.

From various club guys I've spoken to and Dan Kyle, the 190/60 series tire takes a lot of work to get working well. I'm still trying, but I may change to another brand.

I've run the Bridgestone BT002's in soft / medium with a lot of success as well as the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa in SC1/SC2 combination.

Bruce aka realestateguy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts