Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to buy new tires. Was wanting a tire with longer life than the Pilot Power 2CT's and the Q2's ive been running, was looking at the Dunlop Roadsmarts, I def know they will last longer but will they hold up with agressive riding in the canyons??? Anyone used them???

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Am looking to buy new tires. Was wanting a tire with longer life than the Pilot Power 2CT's and the Q2's ive been running, was looking at the Dunlop Roadsmarts, I def know they will last longer but will they hold up with agressive riding in the canyons??? Anyone used them???
I am currently using the Pilot Road 2 (PR2) as a rear tire on my 05' zx10. It is an awesome tire, warms up quickly, center life will be long and the sides are good to get it all the way down to the edge of the tire. I put it on right before my Deals Gap trip in September, did 750 miles in 2 1/2 days. That was through Deals gap 30-40 times, 2 trips to the Blue Ridge Parkway and other roads. Awesome tire so far.. It should last well over 5000-6000 miles easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
One thing I have learnt about tires (and that too the hard way), is the Tyre Rule. Always upgrade or atleast stick to tires that give the same level of grip. Never go from a tire that offers higher level of grip to one that offers a lower level of grip. Once you are used to a level of grip, anything less will at the least give you a scary experience.
But if you have no other option, the pilot road 2s are a good choice. I have run a set of Metzeller M3s and they lasted around 7000kms till I got a puncture. Would have lasted another 1000kms. Very aggressive riding. My corsas lasted only around 3000kms. The new Metzeller m5 might be a good option as well.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My commuter bike is a ZZR-1200 which weighs about 600lbs. with fuel and makes 145hp, 90lb-ft and eats tires like you wouldn’t believe. Since I’ve been running Roadsmarts on the ZZR I’ve seen at least a 30% increase in tire life. And if you’re looking for tirewear make sure you’re tire pressure is up (42psi). I definitely recommend the Roadsmart if you’re looking for increased tire milage.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I just read a review in a rag about these tires on a R6. IIRC they Rode across France and then flogged the bike at a track. They took before and after depths of the tread and wet testing. They sounded pretty good. Sorry I know that isn't very definitive but I will see if I can find the rag for you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
And if you’re looking for tirewear make sure you’re tire pressure is up (42psi).
:+1: 36psi front, 42 psi rear for extended tire life on most road tires. Running low pressures on road tires accelerates wear with very little increase in grip. On the track, its a different story.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Motorrad magazine tested the popular sport touring articles. First chart is the overall ranking, the 2nd is the ranking based on tire life.

P.S. - If you want to strike a balance between tire life and grip, trust me you cannot get a better tire than the Metzeller M3 (or the M5 which is the M3s replacement). It lasts almost like a sport touring tire, but performs like a sport tire. Just have to run higher tire pressures to get them to last. It almost matched the Q2s in lap times - http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=96313&page=2

Attachments

·
Registered
610 Posts
In the first chart : The 1st column stands for performance when new, the 2nd tire life, the 3rd - performance in wet, the 4th - performance after 4500kms.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks for the input im closing the deal on the Roadsmarts, I ordered a set today

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well just got home with my new shoes. They def have less feel than the PP 2CT's, and dont have nearly as steep of a profile. Other than that I have no complaints, they warmed up quickly and I took the long way home, about 25miles and scrubbed them in. Grip was good and they turn in just about the same as the 2CT's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts