Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you guy who tried those two tires think about it.

Road use on a zx-10r is that going to give good mileage, which one the best I don't know.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Never had a sport touring on a super bike so I cannot comment on wear and cornering performance. But I have used the PR4 extensively on touring bikes. Awesome tire for wet/freeway commuting. They also offer surprising amount of dry drip on the edges of the tire. However, I would go for the Angel GT. In my experience much better tire than the other two.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
10r not for tour tires. Rear on our bike needs the Metzerler rr and the front takes the bridgestone rs10. 55 rr size works perfect. All other 55 spins so much that the tire is not used. Thr rs10 holds side shape better than all other fronts with extreme wear; I mean right down to the steel belt. Only front I've used that does that.

summary: Metzlar rr rear and Bridgestone rs10 battlax or whatever for the front. rr last me 3300 miles until the steel shows and rs10 about 4000 miles till the steel shows.

edit: I have not confirmed this yet but the met rr grips (resists spin) so much that I think it wears out the rear sprocket. I went to met rr exclusively on rear awhile back and noticed a fast wear on race driven sproc within 1400 miles, 43t. JT 43t are now showing wear around 5k miles. Think it's the rr but slight possibility it's the chain dealer gave me. One that everyone here uses. If you ride this is good info. If you don't ride much this info not needed. Ride a lot is defined as between 35k to 50k miles of good twists and good fast twist slabs per year. What I do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
if you want to ride the street like your on a race track then yes super sticky tiers would be needed , but if you want to ride the roads like there roads then try road 4's I've got them on my gen 5 and they are great. 17.000klm's with no issues, even in the rain and as its tropical over here so when it rains it really rains,

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Geezer is correct...

seen guys knee draguin with PRs on the track.. plenty for spirited riding, on the street...

I do a lot of top end shit... and have T30evo

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No one tried Dunlop Roadsmart III. I saw some test on it and seem a bit better then the PR4 Michelin, but who know ?

·
Registered
112 Posts
weight consideration

I have PR3’s... on my ZX14. The tires are great for what they are and as your intended purpose is street riding I’m betting the ones you mention would do fine. One thing I would be thinking about is whether the tire is targeted at a super heavy barco-lounger on wheels. This might not translate well to a liter bike. Although I have no scientific or tangible proof of this, I will say that it is my impression that my ZX14 is a little easier to spin up in the wet, particularly from a start. It’s not like riding on ice or super serious, it’s just that I perceive the bike in the wet takes a little more discipline on the throttle from take offs. The center of the PR3 is reputed to be a bit on the hard side. BUT... In the rain they rock. Whether it’s just pissing down with rain or a 10 on the Irish rain scale, you’re biggest problem is brain dead cagers who for some reason consider non-frozen precipitation to be a life altering cataclysm.

Now, to be fair, my old Duc had Supercorsas on it and taking off in the rain was an exercise in throttle discipline for sure. Harder than the ZX14 with the PR3’s. Gee... I wonder why...

Good luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had Sport touring on my r1 once. Probably the last time I would do it. I had pilot power in the front and pr2 in the rear. I was hoping to get more life in the rear. I got 5k in the rear. I had regular pilot power for turn in..

I normally get 3-3,300 in the rear on regular pilot powers for the street so I just stick with that..

The roads grip fine.. but you do feel a squish to them and heaviness..

With all the new tire technology... Im still fine with the regular pilot power and spirited riding.

Now I would prefer dunlop. q3 and even tried them on track on a hot day.. They grip fine. but only get 1500 on the rear. I only buy them when there is a sale and rebate.

·
The Pace
7,048 Posts
if you want to ride the street like your on a race track then yes super sticky tiers would be needed , but if you want to ride the roads like there roads then try road 4's I've got them on my gen 5 and they are great. 17.000klm's with no issues, even in the rain and as its tropical over here so when it rains it really rains,
what bike you ride?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Pirelli angles? tour tires hard as a rock. Saw them and a dork sales guy told me that they are the latest thing. I felt the surface hard.
I have no idea what any of that means. It is English, I assume.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
10r not for tour tires. Rear on our bike needs the Metzerler rr and the front takes the bridgestone rs10. 55 rr size works perfect. All other 55 spins so much that the tire is not used. Thr rs10 holds side shape better than all other fronts with extreme wear; I mean right down to the steel belt. Only front I've used that does that.

summary: Metzlar rr rear and Bridgestone rs10 battlax or whatever for the front. rr last me 3300 miles until the steel shows and rs10 about 4000 miles till the steel shows.
Touring tires aren't a real good choice for a sport bike. Even my FZ8, which really is a kind of sport bike, hated the PR3's and Roadsmart II's. Front end would shake at about 110 mph, not good. They stuck reasonably well but didn't provide much feedback and the ride was so-so. Switched to Q3's, shake was completely gone, grip fantastic, road feel fantastic. I'll never use a touring tire on a sport-oriented bike again.

I like the Q3's which work very well on the street and are a very good track day tire as well.

The construction of the tire is matched to the mission. Everything about the PR4, RSIII, and so one is designed to support a lot of weight over long, long rides at moderately high speeds. Those tires need a lot of weight to work correctly and even when they do they don't feel like a sportbike tire.

Some guys just cannot notice differences in tires and just want to go for the mileage. I tried this "mileage" approach and it took all the fun out of the ride.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Touring tires aren't a real good choice for a sport bike. Even my FZ8, which really is a kind of sport bike, hated the PR3's and Roadsmart II's. Front end would shake at about 110 mph, not good. They stuck reasonably well but didn't provide much feedback and the ride was so-so. Switched to Q3's, shake was completely gone, grip fantastic, road feel fantastic. I'll never use a touring tire on a sport-oriented bike again.

I like the Q3's which work very well on the street and are a very good track day tire as well.

The construction of the tire is matched to the mission. Everything about the PR4, RSIII, and so one is designed to support a lot of weight over long, long rides at moderately high speeds. Those tires need a lot of weight to work correctly and even when they do they don't feel like a sportbike tire.

Some guys just cannot notice differences in tires and just want to go for the mileage. I tried this "mileage" approach and it took all the fun out of the ride.

Yep.. Im surprised the q3 held up so well on the track.. personally i think it all depends on how you ride the bike.. some use a zx10 for straight freeway/ commute.. I would imagine that would be fine.
I read some get 12k on pilot road. I was ready to toss them at 5k. Just did not like the feel.. So vague.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was about to go for the PR4s for the Gen5 for road use and then spoke to a few chaps who cited similar reasons as few folks here - Sport touring tyres arent really the happiest on a supersport. Went ahead and put on a pair of Metz M7RRs. Impressed with them so far.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts