Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Almost low sided twice on the stock 218s with just over 1900 miles on them. Just about down to the wear bars on the sides and these things have become DANGEROUS!
One was a low speed cold tire at night moment, the second was a 65+ mph tight corner on fully warmed up tires. I run 34 psi up front and 36 out back. These things stuck like glue up until now. They went away real quick and now let go without warning!

Anyone have anything negative to say about Michelin Pilot Powers?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dunlop 218 are only good if you "runin in" your bike as the book says.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I never felt the 218's "stick like glue" on my 10... As for the Powers, I have nothing but good to say about them. Great tires. The BT-014's that came on the 636 ain't bad either. MUCH better than D218's...

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a said:
Dunlop 218 are only good if you "runin in" your bike as the book says.
Are you talking about the manual's air pressure call outs? Of, I think 36 and 42 psi.
It doesn't matter now, after the second close call. I won't ride it again with those tires.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Thats funny. I took my 218's to a track day with more than twice the number of miles that you had on yours. And the let me run some pretty quick times. I had 38XX miles on my bike when I took it to the track. And the 218 took a while to warm up. But they held up, and stuck just fine.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
zx-7rking said:
Thats funny. I took my 218's to a track day with more than twice the number of miles that you had on yours. And the let me run some pretty quick times. I had 38XX miles on my bike when I took it to the track. And the 218 took a while to warm up. But they held up, and stuck just fine.

yea I never felt like I had no confidence in the 218s and I got 3900 miles out of them before I changed them out to the pilot powers.. The powers are a better tire no doubt but the 218's but the 218's are still competent IMO.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Dunlop 218 are my first tires in last 10 years that have "chicken strips" on them, and first tires that i was so unsecured on them. They really scared me. And its funny couse Dunlop was produce this tires for the 10. But my guess was that this tire end relationship btw Kawasaki and Dunlop.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Mine seemed OK. Then there was that low-speed lowside that put me out of action.
Can't say 100% it was the tires, but they were cold and I'm seeing an awful lot of similar incidents.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
CJ. They do take awhile to warm up. But as far as the low side accidents going on around here. I'd be more interesting in seeing how many of the riders who lowsided their 10's actually set the SAG on the suspension. I cannot believe how stiff this bike came from the factory. I hear more bitching and moaning about the 218's. But the suspension (rear shock in particular) is far more dangerous than the 218's IMHO..YMMV

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
zx-7rking said:
CJ. They do take awhile to warm up. But as far as the low side accidents going on around here. I'd be more interesting in seeing how many of the riders who lowsided their 10's actually set the SAG on the suspension. I cannot believe how stiff this bike came from the factory. I hear more bitching and moaning about the 218's. But the suspension (rear shock in particular) is far more dangerous than the 218's IMHO..YMMV

couldn't agree more.. my bike was more nervous then a wanted convict in a police station until I set the sag by removing a turn of preload out of the front and rear..

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
zx-7rking said:

That's a good point. I think the 10R is stiff even for my fat ass. I think it's probably closer to right for someone my weight, but it simply HAS to be set too stiff from the factory for anyone closer to Kawi's "average" 150 lbs weight. That was one thing that stood out to me immediately when I was comparing the 10R and K5 Gixx the other day side by side.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think the suspension settings had anything to do with my two moments. The pavement was nice and smooth not requiring much from the suspension. I'd gone over that same section of road that morning about ten times and only had it get loose on me that last time. I think it was just the tires going away.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I've ran D208ZR's before and they were a really great tire.....I think I might go that route after my 218's are gone....

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Bad MO4 said:
I don't think the suspension settings had anything to do with my two moments. The pavement was nice and smooth not requiring much from the suspension. I'd gone over that same section of road that morning about ten times and only had it get loose on me that last time. I think it was just the tires going away.
when i went down it was over a section of road on Palomar Mountain that i had rode over hundreds of times....it wasn't the tire or suspension's fault but my dumb ass for going to fast for the conditions...:mrgreen:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
pongo said:
when i went down it was over a section of road on Palomar Mountain that i had rode over hundreds of times....it wasn't the tire or suspension's fault but my dumb ass for going to fast for the conditions...:mrgreen:
Certainly can't rule out the Dumb Ass factor in my case! Going fast is... well...COOL!

·
Registered
803 Posts
zx-7rking said:
What's sag got to do with the rear shock? Damping adjustments do not affect sag.
:heyyou:

When I went down, I wasn't using enough suspension to be able to blame spring rates, preload, top out springs, bottoming cones, high speed damping, or whatever.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts