Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2004 zx10r and changed and subsequently overfilled the oil with the recommended castrol race oil. The bike has about 5000 miles and ran like a champ prior to my mishap. I removed the approximately 500cc of "extra oil" after a 30 mile ride. Now I have a low rpm hesitation. I then replaced the air filter with a knn filter (the old one wasn't in terrible shape) and replaced the two inner spark plugs (they were not fouled). It has a lot more power in the top end but still hesitates under 2000 rpm. I talked to the local kawi dealer and they suggested sea foam and a good long ride "to clean it out." No change so far from previous description. It smells a little rich but no odor of gas and no leaks of any kind. Is there anything I can do prior to a major shop charge to go through the engine?

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Did you have the issue before changing the filter and plugs? What other mods are on the bike? I'd start by putting the stock filter back in and see if you still have low rpm issues. Also, why did you replace the 2 spark plugs and did you check the gapping?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I just purchased a 2004 zx10r and changed and subsequently overfilled the oil with the recommended castrol race oil. The bike has about 5000 miles and ran like a champ prior to my mishap. I removed the approximately 500cc of "extra oil" after a 30 mile ride. Now I have a low rpm hesitation. I then replaced the air filter with a knn filter (the old one wasn't in terrible shape) and replaced the two inner spark plugs (they were not fouled). It has a lot more power in the top end but still hesitates under 2000 rpm. I talked to the local kawi dealer and they suggested sea foam and a good long ride "to clean it out." No change so far from previous description. It smells a little rich but no odor of gas and no leaks of any kind. Is there anything I can do prior to a major shop charge to go through the engine?
Unusual the extra oil would cause a low-end issue. Normally excess oil in the crank causes over-pressure in the crankcase at high rpm and sluggish performance at high R's. Also can cause seals to blow out, for example, valve cover gaskets, resulting in oil spewing everywhere. Extreme case, yes, it'll come up through the crankcase vent but you changed the air filter.

Possibly messed things up by blowing oil past the rings and fouling the plugs, but you said you replaced two of them and just to be sure, replaced the air filter. Sounds like you did it right.

You may want to replace all four plugs and then do as was suggested, ride the bike a few hundred miles. Oil will eventually dissolve in the presence of gasoline.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yeah I don't know mine would run below 2k rpm. On a serious note I wouldn't expect it to run smooth under 2k and I've used seafoam in my old gixxer and fouled my plugs out right away

·
Registered
946 Posts
depending on what your last bike was......160+km/h in first gear makes for choppy throttle at 2000rpms and less.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You didn't say what gear this is happening in if your in and upper gear at 2000 rpm then yes its gonna hesitate. If its in first gear then perhaps there's a problem

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No issues prior to my work, bike ran great. I was just trying to do routine maintenance. The factory filter was filthy and moderately oily. The plugs were not gapped as it was recommended not to ( the are iridium). I only replaced the two inner plugs because the motor has to be dropped to get to the two outer plugs and I'm worried about making things worse. The old plugs looked good. These change increased higher performance at higher revs but just stumbles at lower. Thanks for your help

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I am gonna say it was certainly not the oil. 500cc is half a quart. I used to run a half a quart to a quart over in mine always just to prevent starvation on long wheelies. Never blew a gasket or had an issue. Change the outer plugs, there is a writeup here somewhere on how to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it "blew a seal" wouldnt i have leaking oil or gas? I surely couldnt have the powerband this thing has.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it seems like any gear with low RPM's. If i downshift to drop speed it backfires a little, just noticed it today

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will but its kind of embarassing to take off from a stoplight and have the bike spit and sputter until rpms rise.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
As stated before, you do not need to drop the motor...I've done mine without even removing the upper mounts. I would change the other two, double check your oil level, and take it out for a good ride!
And yes, overfilling will most definitely cause a bike to bog down and run like shit especially at lower rpms

Seafoam wouldn't hurt and it's cheap enough that if it does nothing you're only out a few bucks...I use seafoam in everything I own that has a motor from my chainsaw to my bike...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts