Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so hey how can I lift the front end so I can remove the wheel to go get powder coated? The rear is basic but i can really find a good spot to rest the front end on. please dont tell me to go buy a stand for this one time thing. i dont have a welder right now either so fab is limited to hand made. please help cause i gotta pull this thing off soon.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Do you have a rafter to attach something to? I used to have a rafter in my garage that I reinforced with a 2x6 and used a ratcheting hoist. A fence stretcher type ratcheting device would work also. They aren't that heavy and, if you have to, you can lower the forks onto a milk crate after the wheel is off. I have a front stand now, but I used to work on the 12 that way all the time. And the 12 was alot heavier than the 10. As usual, the idea is to be smart enough to know the load capacity of whatever lifting set up you use.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you know what I cant belive I didnt think of that. and I have all that stuff here. I have a stronger post in my backyard that a 4x8 i will do that and then set is on something and tie it down for a few days while its at the PC. thanks man that was a hugh help.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
If you got a couple buddies to help you can always have them lift the bike and then set some bricks or wood blocks under each fork leg.

If you do dangle your bike, make sure you untorque all the bolts before you go and dangle it or you will be moving your bike all over in the air.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
As a last resort you can pull the bike over on the sidestand while a buddy removes the wheel , as I said...last resort.

·
Hillbillie Mod
20,155 Posts
Jack stands on the forks.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Buy a stand, :mrgreen:

Hang it from a rafter, swingset, or whatever you have

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I use to do the rafter thing on my previous bikes before I took my cheap ass down to get a stand....

It worked good...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have used a stepladder and rachet straps before.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Why not just buy a set of stands? Handy makes a set of very inexpensive front and rear stands for about $90 http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=167&D=1&S=4

I use both front and rear stands quite often for cleaning, changing tires, etc. The local shop that does my tires charges me less if I bring in the wheels instead of the whole bike.

We have two sets of these (the rear uses spools), and I'm thinking of picking up a third pair for my old zx9r in our basement.

Just a thought. :thumbsup:

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
treyzx10r said:
I've used the grandkids swing before I bought stands , I hear tale that BD made one outa brontosaurus bones back in the day:mrgreen:
tis true:eyecrazy: :lol:

oh and by a stand PLEASE!!!! But Hill had a good idea with the floor stands

·
Registered
198 Posts
or you could use a cherry picker if you have one. worked great on my old f4i before i bought a stand. i just doubled up a rope and wrapped it under where the forks clamp into between the clip-ons :mrgreen:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts