Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a stretched bike should I adjust my chain the same as I would with no stretch or should I go a little tighter ? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I just want to be safe not sorry .
Thanks guys !!

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Yep, stretching it will lower hp readings as well, and from what I've read before if u gear a bike down, like a car it will also read lower numbers. what stretch u working with?

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
the other reason not to overtighten a chain is because if its too tight, it can start to restrict suspension travel of the swingarm by not allowing it to move properly.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I run my chain pretty tight on my zx10. Im 12 inches over and run -2 front sprocket. My bike just seems to like my chain tight. With it adjusted to "normal" slack, the chain beats up my $1000 swingarm and will jump teeth on the front sprocket at the drag strip. I run about 1/2in of slack in my chain with me seated on the bike. Still runs 5.70's in the 1/8th and haven't had any issues.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
I run my chain pretty tight on my zx10. Im 12 inches over and run -2 front sprocket. My bike just seems to like my chain tight. With it adjusted to "normal" slack, the chain beats up my $1000 swingarm and will jump teeth on the front sprocket at the drag strip. I run about 1/2in of slack in my chain with me seated on the bike. Still runs 5.70's in the 1/8th and haven't had any issues.
dont ya hate how the arms dont come with a guide? Shit pisses me off!

Half inch while seated is abt how i set mine

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bro that is the problem im running into and thats why I asked . Every time
I hit a bump it's hitting my arm . It makes the bike sound like shit . Im going to try that thanks for that info .

·
Registered
356 Posts
The bike was never designed to be drag raced. It is a road race bike. You will just have to live with it since you screwed up the suspension. Streaching it out
drains horsepower at the rear wheel since adding a longer chain ads more rotational weight and mass to turn and the longer swingarm adds more weight (both of which slows you down and makes the bike handle like a turd) You should have bought a ZX14 it was designed for straightline runs.

The steering geometry is now screwed up and the longer chain will always either hit the swing arm (if adjusted to proper slack.) Or you can run it tight and lose suspension travel and even more horsepower at the rear wheel.:headshake

To each his own. But I personally think you spent a lot of money to screw up your bike... Why not go all the way and install a 300 tire on the rear so you can look cool cruising? Maybe some neon also LOL. :crackup:

Just my opinion... Other may vary

Speedy

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
butthurt a lil? we can hug it out and resolve ur pent up tension

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm not going to get into a big thing over why I stretched "my" bike but I like to drag race and I don't like busas or 14s . If I want to hit the road and lean it I'll ride my 750 if I want to go cruising ill ride my Harley but I like my 1000 for drag racing . That's why I bought it . It's kinda like going to a car show and telling the guy with blown 69 ss camaro that he should have left it stock . It's all about what you want to do with your stuff .

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
The bike was never designed to be drag raced. It is a road race bike. You will just have to live with it since you screwed up the suspension. Streaching it out
drains horsepower at the rear wheel since adding a longer chain ads more rotational weight and mass to turn and the longer swingarm adds more weight (both of which slows you down and makes the bike handle like a turd) You should have bought a ZX14 it was designed for straightline runs.

The steering geometry is now screwed up and the longer chain will always either hit the swing arm (if adjusted to proper slack.) Or you can run it tight and lose suspension travel and even more horsepower at the rear wheel.:headshake

To each his own. But I personally think you spent a lot of money to screw up your bike... Why not go all the way and install a 300 tire on the rear so you can look cool cruising? Maybe some neon also LOL. :crackup:

Just my opinion... Other may vary

Speedy
you could add all the stickers like on your bike (if its yours in the avatar) and get all the hp back no biggie :crackup:. You race in circles, we race in a line. We want to drag 1ks, simple as that.

butthurt a lil? we can hug it out and resolve ur pent up tension
:spit: :+1:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep! I thought would get a rise out of all you drag race types! I was just jacking with you...:crackup: I ran at the drags too on my Zx14 but it just wasn't my bag... :
I also ran the Texas Mile six times. Got boring waiting and waiting in the hot sun to be able to run in a straight line for a few seconds. It was fun for a while. However. The first time I did a track day I was hooked.

It is not for everyone. Those turns come up fast..but it does make you a better street rider.. It is the safest place to go fast and learn the right way to ride. For me it is much more exciting. Requires much more attention( for much longer period of time). I just like the road race track better because there is much more to it.

Most anyone that rides on the street can go fast in a straight line. It is probably best for them not to push it on the street in the corners anyway
since there is usually not much room for mistakes or any runoff like the track has. You don't have to worry abbot caters on cell phones etc and the surface is more consistent.

I still stand by what I said about losing rear wheel horsepower by adding more chain. I guess with the increased wheelbase it is easier to get off the lone without wheelying but you will lose power and add weight by streaching it out.

BTW. The stickers are on the race body. I don't run them on the street.

Speedy

No hard feelings

Speedy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts