Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just had to tell you all this. so i am driving my son around on the back of my 05 10r. he is 5yearsold and rides with me all the time he wears a helmet chest gaurd with elbow forarm gaurds and gloves. also he has his dirtbike shoes with knee and shin gaurds under his jeans.
so we are just rolling around when i hear a honk then yelling from behind us. and then it happend another zx-10r rider pulled up and started to tell me how crazy i am for leting him ride with me. i almost hit the guy with the hellmet that was strapped to his seat instead of his head also he is riding around in a t shirt shorts and sandels.
really i mean WTF is wrong with ppl. so i kind of want to know if anyone elss takes there kids for rides?

·
Registered
250 Posts
When I was 5 I used to go for rides with my grandfather on his Goldwing. I wore an open face helmet jeans sneakers and a jacket. That was different times and a different bike. You've got him well protected, and as long as his feet can reach the pegs and his arms can get a good hold I don't see a problem IMHO

·
Of course you are faster
2,062 Posts
That's the same kind of stupidity that is seen when someone is on camera bitching about the nuclear power plant 10 miles away, while smoking unfiltered Camels.

I actually had one of those old "biker" jackets with the belt around the waist. I flipped the belt around backwards and buckled it in the back...

basically made a strap my kids could hold onto.

Plus they really seemed to like the TLR because the pillion seat us higher then the pilots seat. They could actually see over the top of me and get a real feel for the ride as opposed to looking at my back.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
My daughter starting riding with me at 3 1/2 my son started riding with me at 5.

My son is probably the best passenger you have ever seen - anticipates corners and hangs his ass off the bike (he was 14 the last time we rode together) and gets his body in position. My kids have always worn full gear.

When my little girl was 4-5 we would take her and she would sit in fron to of me against the tank - she always brought some sort of little toy and would play with them on the tank while we rode - we also talked quite a bit - she would rest her feet on top of mine. Many times she would just fall alseep and wake up 1/2 an hour later.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Hey before the western world became safety obsessed, i am sure we all were on the back of bikes at a young age with only a small amount of gear on.....reason being it either belonged to our older brothers or dads and was always too big.

If you have a kid on the back your going to ride careful and not put them at risk.
Sure there is the factor of being hit by another vehicle but most situations can be totally avoided if you have any road sense what so ever.
When my little girl is old enough i know i will be taking her in to town on the bike...what little kid wouldn't want to go for a ride?

As for the people that don't like it...well they can just fuck right off.

Oh and get this a couple of months back, i was on a road trip with the wife and kid, my girl is 18 months. I was on my bike, fully geared up and a back pack. The wife was driving the car with the baby and stuff for the trip.
We stop in a country town for a bite to eat and a rest. I got my full leathers on sitting at a bench with the kid. The wife went off down the road to get something from the store.
While i'm holding the baby some Harleys pull up and take their gear off. One of the guys and his wife are looking at me and come over and ask how i am managing to ride and have the baby as a passenger.
I couldn't believe they thought i was carrying the kid with me, so i just told them that the baby is small enough to sit in the backpack and doesn't move around too much once the zips are done up....
The dude says "wow, that's amazing..his wife gave me a look of utter disgust.
They both left and sat on another bench. Every once in a while i would catch them looking at me, so i put the kid on the table and opened up my back pack and just sat her in it.
Then the wife turned up and i told her what was going on. She was laughing and i saw the couple realize they had been had....made me laugh i telll ya.

·
Registered
969 Posts
PJD- Thats a funny story......
I too remember riding on the back of my dad's CB750 back when I was around 6.....

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
People suck. They have to get into everyone's business these days and tell them how to act. Yet, if you put him on a nice, safe horsey for a ride that would be fine. Just ask Christopher Reed...

Isn't one of the things we used to make fun of communism for was everyone being in everyone elses's business waiting to tell on them for something to gain favor with those in control?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I ride my 5 and 7 year old on the Harley Ultra but not on the 10 because they have started to fall asleep before and on the 10 there is nothing to help hold them on like the dresser.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
My daughter has rode with me either in front on the tank or on the rear seat since she was around 5ish. I don't take her out on the main streets yet cause momma would have a stroke BUT my daughter loves the hell out of it and i can always hear her squeel if i goose it even just a little bit or pick up a little speed quickly, I started riding dirtbikes when i was about 7 or so and would have rode 3 wheelers first but my stubby ass couldn't reach all the controls at the same time.my uncles would take me out for hours at a time and let me tear loose out in the fields and woods (until i hit a tree) and as Nick said.....keep making memories and FU$K those people!! i can still rmember like it was yesterday riding around with mud in my eyes,mouth,ears,etc.....and knowing i was riding like the big boys (my uncles) and thought i couldn't be any cooler!!those were some of the best days when i was a kid and IF some schmuck would have told them something about me riding with them or them letting me ride.........nothing good would've came from that scenario i assure you!!:lol::lol: I've never had anyone say anything to me about my little girl riding with me BUT i've kinda always been expecting it. she is ready for the day where i can take her out on the streets, she's got one more year to wait and she's already got her "first ride" helmet picked out of her little collection!! nothing better than making the kids happy and keeping them happy!!!

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I picked my wife and newborn up from the hospital on my 10R. Money is tight with the economy and I needed to save money on gas.

Ok I really didn't do that. People are stupid though. It's a lot easier to point a finger at someone else than it is to point at yourself. One of many of problems with society today in my opinion.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I would never ride my children on any kind of motorcycle at any speed but I don't knock those that do. Depending on the type of the accident, gear will only provide so much protection. A friend of mine who is a very good rider had a freak accident with gear on at 30 mph and ended up with rash and broken ribs

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
just had to tell you all this. so i am driving my son around on the back of my 05 10r. he is 5yearsold and rides with me all the time he wears a helmet chest gaurd with elbow forarm gaurds and gloves. also he has his dirtbike shoes with knee and shin gaurds under his jeans.
so we are just rolling around when i hear a honk then yelling from behind us. and then it happend another zx-10r rider pulled up and started to tell me how crazy i am for leting him ride with me. i almost hit the guy with the hellmet that was strapped to his seat instead of his head also he is riding around in a t shirt shorts and sandels.
really i mean WTF is wrong with ppl. so i kind of want to know if anyone elss takes there kids for rides?

First off, who better to trust or let a 5 year old on the back of a sport bike than YOU (the father).

Second, this is something he will NEVER EVER forget through out his life.

If we all walk through life with soooo much saftey, no playing in dirt, no doing that, or this or drinking soda, coffee, skateboarding and breaking a bone or two, visiting family across country via an airline cause it can malfunction and fall out of the sky......

Then Hmmmm. Why are we here?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I think its great as well.

Dont get me wrong, if i see you with your son on the back, passing me at 130mph on one wheel, your son in just a pair of shorts and duck taped to the seat, yea im getting your license #, looking you up, and beating some sense into you lol.

However 99% of the people i have seen riding with kids are smart and protective as can be, and like stated the memories and time shared with them is sooo worth it.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I have taken my 2 yr old son on the tank of the bike up and down the street

same with my daughet who is now 6, she sits on the tank of my dads honda shadow, she holds the handlebars and gives it throttle and we are off

she giggles and squeels when we hit 30+mph and she knows she is giving it throttle

she says she cant wait to get a bike like dad and go ride with me

I cant ever start my 10r without my 2yr old son running outside and squeezing the throttle to redline lol
all other kids his age strat running away or crying from the noise, not him man, that boy just sits there and revs revs, he could do it all day

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow thanks for all the storys. my sons are not safty freaks but i am. both my kids are in MMA class's and do gymnastics. we all ride bikes but i was just blown away by this guy.

·
Registered
534 Posts
My son was riding between me and the gas tank (up and down the driveway and about half a block down the street) since he was a few months old, he is 3 yo now and still rides like that, only now we ride all the way around the block idling in first with my feet dragging and in the parking lane. My daughter is 5 and she has been riding with me since she was a few months old, started same way as my son and now rides around on the back of my bike, helmet, jacket, jeans, hiking boots, gloves and this http://little-riders.com/ it works AWESOME. She can hang onto the handle and not worry about falling off and I can control her lean with my lean.....it does take some getting used to but it works and we go for drives around town now. Our state has a law against someone between you and the tank so I limit my son to around the block. I say screw those who want to preach about taking kids on bikes. I am passing my passion for motorcycles onto my kids and they LOVE bikes. My daughter will probably be the only kid getting picked up from kindergarten on a motorcycle......lol

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Guys a dick no doubt! My father used to throw me on the back all the time when I was 5-6 years old on his vmax!

You should of stuck that guy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts