Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I conducted a search but was not able to find anything on this topic. Does anyone have an easy way to reinstall the ducts? Items 14073 b & C

Attachments

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I don't know of an easier way other than fighting with them and swearing at those damn things.

In all seriousness, maybe a little heat will soften them and make them easier to work with, other than that I twist and push those fuckers in there and somehow make it work every time lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I conducted a search but was not able to find anything on this topic. Does anyone have an easy way to reinstall the ducts? Items 14073 b & C
Wiggle wiggle??? hair dryer to soften up???

Install in frame first line up the bottom creases first and the sides and top fall into place when you wiggle it. Use your hand into the duct to push and grab the edge with thumb to pull. Push pull wiggle and it will fall into place again line up bottom first and work your way in a line up the sides and top. Once they are lined up put the airbox in no bolts yet and same thing line up the bottom first in the air box and work your way up the sides and top same way and can be persuaded into place with wiggling push pull and yea I haven't been successful without cursing and swearing ever.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wiggle wiggle??? hair dryer to soften up???

Install in frame first line up the bottom creases first and the sides and top fall into place when you wiggle it. Use your hand into the duct to push and grab the edge with thumb to pull. Push pull wiggle and it will fall into place again line up bottom first and work your way in a line up the sides and top. Once they are lined up put the airbox in no bolts yet and same thing line up the bottom first in the air box and work your way up the sides and top same way and can be persuaded into place with wiggling push pull and yea I haven't been successful without cursing and swearing ever.
I don't know of an easier way other than fighting with them and swearing at those damn things.

In all seriousness, maybe a little heat will soften them and make them easier to work with, other than that I twist and push those fuckers in there and somehow make it work every time lol.

Thanks guys, will try your suggestions but so far the swearing and cursing hasn't worked out; if it had, they'd be in perfectly... :)

·
Registered
641 Posts
Silicon grease wiped around the edges.

Or.... Dielectric grease, petroleum jelly, etc.

I also use Dry Silicon spray on fairing tabs etc.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Ballsack. Need more ballsack. And seriously, if this is tough, you might not wanna take the bike apart any further lol.

Edit - just so im slightly supportive - i use a trick for stuff like this, usually made out of rubber, like my grips for example. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol around for cleaning and things like this. Drip some inside the grips and they slide right on and ive never had trouble with em not sticking. It evaporates in seconds when its all over. Same with getting grips off as long as no glue is used. Cram some inside the grip and start twisting - off in seconds.

Reactions: evilaugust

·
Registered
1,457 Posts

I thought about this route in the past but didn't know how well the rubber would hold up to the grease, I doubt the grease has any ill effects on the rubber but I didn't wanna take that chance.

I'm assuming you've tried the silicon/dielectric/petroleum? No issues with it like eating up the rubber or anything?

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I thought about this route in the past but didn't know how well the rubber would hold up to the grease, I doubt the grease has any ill effects on the rubber but I didn't wanna take that chance.

I'm assuming you've tried the silicon/dielectric/petroleum? No issues with it like eating up the rubber or anything?
Its okay, as long as you use Elbow Grease! :helmet:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ballsack. Need more ballsack. And seriously, if this is tough, you might not wanna take the bike apart any further lol.

Edit - just so im slightly supportive - i use a trick for stuff like this, usually made out of rubber, like my grips for example. I keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol around for cleaning and things like this. Drip some inside the grips and they slide right on and ive never had trouble with em not sticking. It evaporates in seconds when its all over. Same with getting grips off as long as no glue is used. Cram some inside the grip and start twisting - off in seconds.
LOL!!!

Taking the bike apart isn't the issue, it's putting it back together... She's been collecting dust for quite some time now, I almost sold it but decided to get her up and running again. Move to Texas killed my riding motivation. I'll use your slightly supportive suggestion and see how that goes at this point I don't think my ballsack can grow anymore...

If that doesn't work I'll bust out the Petroleum Jelly...

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts

The thing I don't like about that is grease sticks around and catches dust and that turns into emery plus it can be a dirty shit show next time you have to get at it and can make it easier to pop out as well which can be good or bad depending I guess.

I never needed to do the ducts this way but for other stubborn rubber parts I have had luck with boiling a pot of water and then letting it sit for a minute too cool off just a tad around 90 c degrees I guess and then dunk the rubber part in it for around half a minute or so until it softens up enough to be able to work with it, don't burn yourself, and same idea as hair dryer I guess. Even leave it out in the sun for a bit and they will be more cooperative I find.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
LOL!!!

Taking the bike apart isn't the issue, it's putting it back together... She's been collecting dust for quite some time now, I almost sold it but decided to get her up and running again. Move to Texas killed my riding motivation. I'll use your slightly supportive suggestion and see how that goes at this point I don't think my ballsack can grow anymore...

If that doesn't work I'll bust out the Petroleum Jelly...

Thanks!
THATS WHAT I WANNA HEAR!!! MOAR SACK SOLVES EVERYTHING!! Just fyi ive had a couple drinks at this point! But yea, we can also help with riding motivation around here!
They are always a pain and i usually have to say a couple Fuck-you's and have a couple Evan Williams shots and get pissed at it and they go right in. Gotta get intimidating with em and if that fails, sprinkle some rubbing alcohol on em and work fast befor e it evaporates. Rubbing alcohol works wonders on rubber parts that dont wanna go. Makes everthing like wet poontang! Petro jelly always slows my entry :dontknow: ...KY FTW??

Reactions: evilaugust

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
When I did my frame swap I was worried about these and the airbox itself as I had read they were a real pain. I did not find that to be the case though. I found that it was easy to squash them/fold them in on themselves and then manipulate them to their appropriate position. Orient them correctly and push them into the frame right up to/just past the frame seal/lip and then fold them into themselves out of the way. Then get the box in the frame and them unfold them and work your way around the frame / airbox seals getting all in place and lined up. I personally think adding lubricants would actually make the job harder (and messier). Use the friction of the material to hold it where you want it. I have been successful this way multiple times. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
214 Posts
I keep them clean and spray the outside with dry silicone spray. Slips right in. If it's cold outside i warm them up to room temp before installation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts