Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did you see the article from Honda on retractable winglets, I read The winglet is good for lower speeds but at higher speed causes unwanted drag so they will be retractable, along with other things like vibrating body work. Strange concepts that may work,

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I have the Puig winglets on my 2018 se, I like how they look but with the electronic suspension it makes the bike feel funny, I think it interprets the downforce as me weighing more and adjusts the suspension which makes the ride way more uncomfortable. They are just sitting in my garage now.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Yes, yes they were, have the black and the transparent green winglets tips for them too but like j said they mess with how my suspension adjusts itself while I'm riding and it bugs the fuck out of me. I should sell them for like 150 or something, take a loss but at least not have them get destroyed in my garage
Those are expensive

·
The Pace
6,962 Posts
Be interesting to see pro with this mod on their bikes WITH admin standing by with stop watch once they dial into a wing configuration.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Be interesting to see pro with this mod on their bikes WITH admin standing by with stop watch once they dial into a wing configuration.
Hmm, pretty sure they all use this shit now in wsbk but could be wrong, don't really watch it. For sure it makes a difference, can tell just from the front tire wear when I had them on and the stability at higher speeds. Not sure bout much else except wind from the side fucked with the bike a ton more when I had them on. It prevents the air from just slipping around the bike if it isn't coming from the front. Or at least messes with how easily it slips around it

·
Registered
Gen 5 ZX10R
211 Posts
For street bikes, I think the winglets look dumb af..and no way they are of any use unless you are pushing the bike to the very limits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
You know, I liked how they looked from the sides. From the front it was idk. I do tend to push my bike but not to a point where I think those things would make shit for difference. I took them off cause it messed with my electronic suspension. Made it either think j weighed more or idk but made it act really strange and I didn't like that.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I really hope they don't add self adjusting wings to street bikes. Electronics already added a ton of money to the base price of bikes on the showroom floor. I feel that ABS and TC are worth paying for but adjustable wings? Nope.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I really hope they don't add self adjusting wings to street bikes. Electronics already added a ton of money to the base price of bikes on the showroom floor. I feel that ABS and TC are worth paying for but adjustable wings? Nope.
Self adjusting wings would be cool. Bikes are 3x the price they were 10 years ago. Would be nice to get more for the money. As of now I didn't know anyone had self adjusting winglets

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not quite 3x...

1990 New 600 was $5k
2000 New 600 was $8k
2010 New 600 $11,500
2020 New 600 $11,300

But I agree, the extra weight and price of electronics that provide marginal improvement are not necessary. Hell the BMW XR has a powered windscreen to adjust for height. SRYLSY?

·
Registered
668 Posts
Bikes are 3x the price they were 10 years ago. Would be nice to get more for the money.
I agree that new street bikes are a really poor value for what you're getting. Adding any more tech like self adjusting wings and self adjusting suspension just pumps up the price even more. It doesn't make a ton of sense for a street rider. There's value in a ZX10R SE suspension since it allows for a comfortable ride 90% of the time until you hit the twisties hard, but that tech doesn't even carry over to the track rider since they'd ditch that stuff for tailored suspension. An SE buyer is only paying extra for comfort.

Manufacturers need to keep the prices as low as possible to ensure the future of this industry rather than evolving into a space where even a Japanese sportbike becomes a luxury toy.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I agree that new street bikes are a really poor value for what you're getting. Adding any more tech like self adjusting wings and self adjusting suspension just pumps up the price even more. It doesn't make a ton of sense for a street rider. There's value in a ZX10R SE suspension since it allows for a comfortable ride 90% of the time until you hit the twisties hard, but that tech doesn't even carry over to the track rider since they'd ditch that stuff for tailored suspension. An SE buyer is only paying extra for comfort.

Manufacturers need to keep the prices as low as possible to ensure the future of this industry rather than evolving into a space where even a Japanese sportbike becomes a luxury toy.
That is exactly why I got the SE, the metal holding my spine together made paying the extra for the suspension make perfect sense vs not bring able to ride a liter bike anymore. And yeah on Street mode the suspension lacks a bit for the canyon carving days but toss it in track or manual and it does just fine, actually probably better than the normal showa suspension does in that situation. There fact that it only takes about 15 seconds to completely change suspension setup is pretty damn nice. Still was unaware that any bike has electronically adjusting winglets. That would be excessive but then again, may have been better than the static ones I had on my bike. For the amount of power they have it's not like it would be so much weight you could even notice

·
Registered
Gen 5 ZX10R
211 Posts
If you look at the science of why the wings were developed for MotoGP bikes you will realize they have no practical aspect for a street bike and even majority of track riders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
I understand the reasoning behind them. And really why wouldn't any aerodynamic improvement be it downforce or stability not be helpful. Just most street riders don't ever go fast enough but with that same logic, why would anyone want a liter bike because 600s can more than double the speed limit and no one does that right. Who needs that kind of power and acceleration cause 99% of riders will never ride a liter bike to its full potential so why would anyone own one aside from a pro racer right lol. You follow my line of thought here don't you. Like quick shift. Why when u can blip the throttle. Why when u have a clutch, why carbon wheels when the difference is not going to actually make shit for difference except for the top racers. Maybe it feels better to a street rider but really is it making them noticably faster. Probably not. That's not the point of all of these mods now is it. Titanium hardware. Etc, it all adds up to a sum that is greater than all the individual parts and ultimately makes a difference, how much is dependent on the rider and track or road and the bike as well. Why run anything ever besides sc0 and sc1 tires...nothing else sticks as well right...lol I know you get where I'm coming from. 90 plus % of the time I don't need the slicks on my bike and won't come close to even warming them half way up. But for that 10% that I do and can, why the fuck not

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
633 Posts
Digging through my garage for my oem levers and I found this, it's what came with the Puig winglets. I don't know how where or with what they did the testing but this is what they are supposed to do. At lower speeds it pretty obvious that they won't really do jack shit. Still best info I have on them

1 - 19 of 19 Posts