Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen a literbike comparison between the Japanese literbikes and the Ducati Desmosedeci? I know it cost like 75K or somewhere around that , but even more so the reason you would think the magazines would run a comparison yet it is always absent . Im thinking of getting an exotic bike for the garage and the MV Agusta although a beautiful bike is losing its appeal . If im going to spend alot of money on an exotic I want it to have at least one outstanding performance factor in its class. The Aprillia RV4 is a good choise but its better to buy a bike the second year out so they get the bugs ironed out .

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sport Rider(?) had a comparison between the desmo and the 1098R and said that the 1098R was nearly equal to the Desmo in a more user friendly package.

But are you really asking a internet forum about whether you should buy a desmosedici?

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
It's the closest thing to a motogp bike one can buy from a dealer(without having to drop loads on aftermarket stuff). It's a pretty sweet bike

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
the fact is that no matter what else is faster, quicker, lighter, or better in any way nothing is a desmonsedeci. that is THE exotic of exotics and if you can afford it then dont hesitate. its like a nice watch, yea a casio will hold perfect time almost always but at the end of the day its still just a casio.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jcw Im asking if anyones ever seen any comparisons . Yes i might buy one but .. I already had a ZX10 which was a GREAT bike and traded it in for a ZX14 which I like even bettrer !! ( im 6-4 250lbs and son is 6-8 280lbs the bigger bike just fit better lol) I am A bit of a bike nut and have 6 Bikes . All have a strong point in there respective classes ..... it would be a bit rediculos asking about the duc if i didnt have a kawasaki already

·
Registered
798 Posts
desmo cost 75k - ninja tuned about 40k.think
again who is better?
zx rules

ever ride a duc ?

a srt-4 neon cost like 20k
with another 10k you could prolly get a stupid amount of power out of it .. enough to beat alot of cars that cost 3-4 times as much

but at the end of the day your still driving a neon

you can put a bunch of diamonds on a piece of shit .. but now you have an expensive piece of shit ...

im not trying to rip on the 10r .. i loved my 10r to death but the ducs are just totally different ...

if i had that kind of disposable income i would rock the desmo in a heart beat .. just remember everything for its is 20X more expensive .. the exhaust is like 10k hahaha:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
desmo cost 75k - ninja tuned about 40k.think
again who is better?
zx rules

I dont think you need $40K on a ninja for it to kick the desmo's ass.
Ninja $8500
Ninja tuning maybe $10k including ohlins suspention.

To be honest, about a year ago I ran into some money and thought about a Desmo, found one for $44,000 with 400 miles on it, but at the end of the day, felt it was just a huge wast of money. I actually think I would rather have all 4 jap bikes sitting in my garage instead of the 1 desmo.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't see why there is even a decision to be made between a ZX and the Desmo.

To me it's like comparing a Corvette to a Ferrari F430. Which one is faster? With a few mods to the corvette, you could probably have a ferrari beater. But at the end of the day, if you're really a Ferrari fan, there is no way you would be caught dead in the vette....even if it was faster, for 1/4 of the money.

Looking for the most performance per dollar? the ZX is tough to beat.

Want something special? get a desmo. the fastest ZX10R in the world will never turn heads like a desmo will.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Sure, if you are looking to turn heads, nothing will beat the Desmo... for me there is no heads to turn, because when I jump on my bike, I don’t head "down town" instead, I head for some quiet northern twisties with a couple good riding buddies and spend the day carving it up.

I do have 2 Ducati riding buddies 1 848 & one 1098. They don’t know each other, but they BOTH act the same way with their matching Ducati helmets, red Ducati jacket, Ducati boots, even a red Ducati T-shirt under the Jacket :rolleyes:
On the weekends on a nice warm day, instead of wanting to hit up some nice twisties, they want to head to the beach or cruise the strip:headshake
Needless to say, we don’t ride together very much.

Anyway, as I said, I have the chance to buy one for $44,000 and had the cash, but decided against it because the performance is not Significant, and I decided not to spend that kind of money just to pose.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In truth, most people who buy a Desmo have it end up on some static display to look at. Motorcycle art!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I agree with those saying the Duc is just something different and special. I just bought a "lowly" Duc 848. I still have my 10 and took out the 10 for a ride a couple of weeks ago after spending a lot of seat time on my new 848. The 10 sure does things differently than the 848 in just general handling. Power delivery to me was smoother and more linear on the 10 than the 848. But I wasn't really railing hard or pushing the 10 at the time nor have I been doing much of it on the 848 since I'm still breaking it in.

But the 848 just has a totally different feel. The way it tracks through the corners where I find myself just paying attention more to where I'll be than on my 10 where I find myself making slight corrections. Even with the smaller displacement engine, the 848 just has something more raw and brutal about it from the engine sounds. There's no mistaking you're on a Duc.

If you're into being an attention whore, the Duc has it in spades. I have had my 10 new since they were released in 04. I got a lot of initial attention from fellow riders who knew what it was and how much the 04 10 was going to change the game with the liter bike battles. After the initial wow was over, it just slipped into another one of the other Japanese sport bikes out there. With my Duc, I've only owned it for just over a month. I haven't had the chance to ride it constantly. But for the about the 7 days or so of riding time I've had, I've never seen a bike garner so much attention. I get people constantly staring at the bike at every stop light. I was almost hit by a car who was along side me on the highway. He was staring at my bike and drifted into my lane. A couple of guys stopped walking into a restaraunt staring at my bike at a stop light and waited till I pulled away so they could just hear the exhaust of my Duc before going into the restaruant. I caught a young guy and what I assume is his girlfriend admiring my Duc in the parking lot while he was taking pictures of my bike with his iPhone.

Will I still get rid of my 10? Nope. I still love my 10 for what it is and its differences with the Duc. But I have to say for people who say the Duc is just over priced for the performance on paper, all I can say is you've just never had the experience of being on one.

·
Registered
764 Posts
In truth, most people who buy a Desmo have it end up on some static display to look at. Motorcycle art!
I don't know how many in total. But in the Duc forums, there seems to be plenty of guys who track their Desmos. A funny thing is the Desmos might be more safe on the track than on the street. Someone on the Duc forums posted up his parking lot incident. He had his Desmo parked in a space where it wasn't real obvious it was there. Some lady backed her car up and didn't check to see if something was there. Ended up hitting the Desmo and knocking it over. Fortunately for the guy he was able to get her insurance info. The final bill from just a simple parking lot tip over charged to her insurance was around $17k.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts