Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yesterday was an interesting one for me.

Usually bike shops are not open on Sundays here in my country. On Moto GP weekends however, the local Italian motorcycle shop opens for the Moto GP.

Not wanting to run the risk of potentially missing the GP due to dodgy internet connectivity, I thought a ride out to this shop would be a good idea.

Having owned a 1098s before, I would be kind of used to the mindset of the 'ducatisti'. I was so wrong.

Arriving I realised there was a lot of high dollar builds around. Very few alternate brands, but I parked next to an S1000R and a Gen 2 Hayabusa. Walking in there were some sideways glances already and general mutterings whilst looking in the direction of my bike.

It's not just the bikes, parts and gear that's inflated, it's also the food and egos as well.

I casually noted some of them walk over to my bike and start pointing and looking closer.

They don't watch the racing like us normal folk. I'm used to watching Moto 3 and 2 with sound. I'm also used to listening to the commentators whilst the grid is lined up before the warm up lap and start of the race.

Not to mention the one man band they had playing in the background that knew nothing about the racing and sounded more like a bad karaoke night than a professional.

Eventually I was called by a mate in the area and asked if I rather wanted to hang out at their place to watch the GP. I promptly paid my tab and pulled out their in a hurry with the SC projects pipe letting them know I was in a hurry.

In short. The 'ducatisti' have become even more weird than I remember.

How would I rate this experience? One star. Would not recommend.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sure lots have seen/heard stories like this… but I was at a track day years ago & Ducati club was there with most awesome bikes I’ve ever seen in one place (lots of tasteful bling, retro models, custom paint, etc.,). I had new GSXR 1000 & felt like I’d driven a Honda Accord to a classic car show.

Realized that day I may never be cool but what I did see was those bikes breaking down & my out-of-the-box Zuk owning the straights… but ya they looked way cooler than me 🤓
From experience, I know that a jap bike can go at least two weeks without starting and not have any issues at all.

A ducati? Can't even stay idling whilst warming up after standing for 4 days in a garage - I had the Ducati race ecu and power commander 5 on my 1098s.......and it still stalled at stupid times.

Apparently the newer Ducati's don't require as much maintenance and attention as the older models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts