Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there is a guy locally selling an 09 848 for a pretty decent price, I'm looking at it hard now that I'm getting my insurance back from totalling my 08 10. What's everyone's opinions on these bikes? It has the basic suspension and everything (I assume it is the lowest model). How are these bikes as far as maintainance? How long can I expect the bike to hold together? Is it worth the buy? I'm sure it's slower than the 10 by a decent margin, but does the handling and "holy shit a Ducati" factor make up for it? There are very very few Ducatis around here so at least I wouldn't have to worry about someone else having it... of course then again I've only seen one 3rd gen 10 around here other than mine... decisions decisions.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You buy it and tell us. If it's what you want and can afford it then go for it. Asking a bunch of Kawi guys if you should buy a ducati isnt going to get you the best advice. I've never riden one but I have a 1098 and I really liked it, but I like the motor and price tag of my 10 better.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know there's at least one member here with an 848 (can't remember his screenname though), and plenty of Duc owners. I could afford the bike, but I don't want to drop that kind of money on a gamble without at least asking some people. I would assume the people who own the 10 and a Ducati (even if not the 848) could give some pretty good comparison points.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I know there's at least one member here with an 848 (can't remember his screenname though), and plenty of Duc owners. I could afford the bike, but I don't want to drop that kind of money on a gamble without at least asking some people. I would assume the people who own the 10 and a Ducati (even if not the 848) could give some pretty good comparison points.
Very true:badteeth:

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
^^^mr_honez has an 848 and can give you some insight. also try the ducati forum @ http://www.ducati-superbikes.com/forum/ for additional info. i personally didn't care for the 848 very much. took one for a 30 minute test drive and found it not very exciting compared to my 10. see if you can test drive one first and see for yourself. i'd personally get a 999r or 1198 if you're headed in that direction. good luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I race one and have a zx10r. what are your plans with it? If you want similar power... better look towards an 1198. if you want to race it, it will cost you some coin to get it worthy. what extras does the one you are looking at have? they don't come with a damper or mount for that matter but the 1098/1198's do. My 848 makes 126hp on pump fuel with no engine mods and is middleweight supersport legal. my bike weighs about 360lbs wet so it is a TON of fun to ride but it took some money to get it to those points. what else do you want to know?

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I have one and love it. Great street bike with the right mods. If it's outright power though you may want to look elsewhere, like the 1098/1198. The 10R will blow by it like it's screwed into the ground on the straights, but the Duc can do twisties like no other. Not to say that it doesnt have power, I can wheelie mine all day long if I wanted, it just doesn't rip up the pavement like my 10R can. It's more like a 750 I4 in power I would guess, like my ZX-7. The 848 has a planted feel in corners, and you can get on the power a lot sooner in a corner than the 10 (or any other big bore bike for that matter) without fear of it spitting you off. The Duc stock is a little more cramped than the 10, with a concrete plank for a seat, so getting a aftermarket seat is a must if you do street riding longer than a city block. I personally love the sound she makes, especially with the aftermarket Termignoni's. It's a wonderful bike overall, but know what you are expecting when you get it. But as I said, if outright power is what you want, and a Ducati fits the bill, then a 1098 or 1198 is for you instead of the 848. A friend of mine tracks his and says it's great in stock trim, though he upgraded the suspension on it to Ohlin's units later. Another great thing about it is that almost anything made for the bigger bikes fit the 848, and now there's a big bore kit for it if you decide to make it more powerful. You can later even put a 1098 motor in it. :mrgreen:

Hope I helped.

Cj

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It would be a mostly street/sunday rider. I would really like to ride one first, my biggest fear would be getting it and being dissapointed (naturally)

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
It would be a mostly street/sunday rider. I would really like to ride one first, my biggest fear would be getting it and being dissapointed (naturally)
It's a different beast to be sure, so that would be wise to do. Some dealers will let you ride the demo bike, so that may be an option for you to try. The Dealer here in Austin does that. I would let you ride mine if you were closer. But I will say that my girl is lots of fun, and that I always have a smile after riding her.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I would look towards a newer 1098/1198 used.. you can pick one up with some nice mods for a reasonable price. street wise.. look for one with an aftermarket damper, ride height adjuster, gearing changes, rearsets, exhaust.. if you can get one with 30mm triple clamps, aftermarket suspension and race link that will make it even better! they handle soooo much better with the right setup. good luck.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'll say this...I had a 748 before my 10, and I love my 10 and it's a keeper for sure but I'll be buying another Ducati before long. The feel, the sound, the thought of owning something a little different, the corner power...well it all makes up for the lack a gazillion horsepower in my opinion. I can't see the 848 being a disappointment but if you're able, I agree with above and shoot for a 1098.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Why don't you just get another 10? or do you just want something different? I just know that you're probably not going to be happy with the decrease in power. I recently hopped on my buddies gsxr 750 just to see what it feels like and honestly I was not impressed. If you're going to be using it as a track bike then go for it but I would stick with a 1000.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'll chime in on my thoughts after selling my 06' zx10 for a 09' 1198s.

Ducati Pros- looks better than anything out there, I can stare at it for hours. More comforatable to ride for me than my zx 10. There are probably more aftermarket options for this bike than the zx10. Holy shit, just the carbon fiber...geez. Handles like a dream. Cuts into the corners so much better than my zx10 did. I get comments everytime I take it out from fellow riders, old ladies, etc etc. The other day someone told me they liked it cause brad pitt had one..lol. Insurance was actually cheaper than my zx.

Ducati Cons- it sucks for commuting in heavy traffic or a lot of lights. Gets hot fast. Does not like to go less than 15mph without feathering the clutch. No easy neutral finder like on the zx. Expensive to buy and service. If you want part (esp oem) it is hard to find what you want on many on line places like bikebandit. Gas mileage absolutely sucks ass. Not as reliable (from other people's experience, knock on wood mine has been fine so far). I've had 3 recall notices already, none of which needed to be fixed.

Overall opinion.....you need one of each! I don't track here, I just ride on the street. I do miss my zx 10. The power and smoothness were better for in town. Would I sell the duc...probably not. I am looking into getting another zx 10 though once this thing is paid off.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
^^agree. One day my garage will have an Italian v-twin added to the collection. I like the 999s tho, so I will be on the watch for a good deal s or r model. Love the sound of the dry clutch and deep rumble exhaust. Sounds like the damn thing is coming apart. Lol...

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
MR_Honez, correct me if Im wrong, but doesnt Ducati honor its warranty even if you use aftermarket Termigoni exhaust?
The warranty is unaffected by the aftermarket Termignoni exhaust. Though with dealers you never know what they want to cover. I've heard of certain dealers saying no and others saying yes. It's who you deal with. DNA officially warranties them with the exhaust.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I ride 2008 ZX-10R with BST wheels & Ohlins F&R, comparing the two bikes totally different class of machines , I love everything about my 08 Kaw ZX10-R & I would not trade it for any other bike PERIOD !

this is really like comparing a watermelon to an apple however... Re: The 848 I have a riding buddie who rides a 2008 848 ducati in pearl white ... we have switched bikes a number of times

IMHO... the 848 is a very fun bike to ride ! in fact the 848 left a very positive lasting impression !

I still smile every time I think about my test rides on the 848 & would not mind having 848 as my second bike, but would need more power

first thing that comes to mind is the twin power in a great handling chassis with a lot's of italian Sex appeal......... the ducati 848 is a gorgeous machine

the little 848 duc loves the turns & gives lot's of confidence in the front end while cornering & sticks like glue ! the 848 ducati loves the tight stuff .......... OH Yeah !

I agree with the others here as far as the overall power my buddies 848 has stock gearing with just termo slip ons w/no mapping just stock & to me the power feels soft & I was bouncing off the rev limiter

you could spend more $ on upgrading the power of the 848 & adding a slipper clutch , but then you are probably in 1198 standard ducati price territory ?

seating position & stock pegs I thought was quite good , & I did not find the seat to be too bad ?

quality of the bike seemed quite good

did not like the position of the bars & not sure if it was the bend or height etc ?

the mirrors suck if you need them...even after working on the adjustment still can't see sh** but who needs to be looking in the mirrors anyway !

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I had a 2000 996 SB for a few years and loved it. ALWAYS exciting to ride NEVER boring! My '04 ZX10r plenty of fun. I found the Duck to be better in fast sweepers than tight switch backs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts