Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I was wondering if you actually have to have the Kawi tool for removing the engine bolt or if there is another way.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

·
Registered
678 Posts
My friend picked it up for me but yea we got the motor pretty much ready to fall out and realized we needed the tool. Maybe someone has a secret but I had to get the tool

·
Registered
678 Posts
I'm not sure my buddy bought it. I think he just bought a huge allen wrench from a shop for like 20 dollars

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help so far guys. I've gotten all the mount bolts off the left side. But if you take a look at the picture I've uploaded, I'm having issues with the three bolts that the green arrows are pointing at. The one on the far right is the one that has the castle nut on it...and from my understanding, I don't have to touch the castle nut, just the female hex bolt inside it? next one to the left is a 8mm female and so is the bottom left. I've tried like hell, put a pole on the end of the allen wrench and have not been able to budge the top one a full turn and can't move the bottom one at all. All I've managed to do is twist the hell out of two allen wrenches. Any wisdom and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

- Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Make your own with a socket and an angle grinder.
That is what we did (my roommate for his ZX9) and it worked great. Find a socket that fits over it (buy a cheap one to cut up) and use a dremel to cut it out to make the tool.

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I dropped the motor out of an '05 I just used a hammer and screwdriver... but then you have to replace the bolt. Theres no allen head inside the screw? From what I remember (did this 3 years ago), there was also an allen head inside...

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
When I dropped the motor out of an '05 I just used a hammer and screwdriver... but then you have to replace the bolt. Theres no allen head inside the screw? From what I remember (did this 3 years ago), there was also an allen head inside...
Your right, I looked closer at the pic. Forget what I said.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I got the middle one out...the top one is a 12mm and I got it sort of loose before the inside of it (hex) stripped out...and the one on the bottom is an 8mm and I have ruined 2 allen wrenches and shatter a socketed bit trying to get it out and it has only budged may 1/10 of a turn. Surely this can't be this difficult.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
137 Posts
sounds to me as though you have a little bit of tourquing going on with the motor and frame, support both inependently and ensure they are sitting level across the bolt hole. take the weight of the motor off the frame entirely, but not so much that the motor is hanging the frame. when we change motors on the plane, we sometimes run into a similar problem. if all of this doesn't work, try some pb blaster or heat it up, BUT NOT AT THE SAME TIME!!!!! pb blaster is flamable.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yea I agree above. At this point the motor is just kind of hanging there. You may have to pull back on the top of the motor and then have a buddy try and loosen the mounts. I just had to do that saturday

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I make alot of my own tools. Take a socket and some stock key way. Find which socket fits closest to the o.d. of the castle nuts. Then cut the key way to length wantes for each slot. Mark it on the socket, then weld on the key ways.
For the allens find a bolt then see which of the bolt heads fit best. Then put a nut on the thread side (two nuts are better. Then weld it in a socket...

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts

the front one, if you stick the allen in there you should be able to back this screw out counterclockwise and loosen up the threaded spacer.

the other back motor mounts you have to remove the 14mm nut thats on the other side of the bolt and then you SCREW IN the bolt (clockwise) so that you screw the threaded spacer into the motor.... if your trying to turn those bolts out counterclockwise they will never come out..... you have to spin them in first and than you can take a punch or long screwdriver and mallet and tap them out to the right side of the bike. having the jack under the motor will help....

hope that helps.

p.s. is the front castle nut wont come off taking a punch to it will help drive it counterclockwise

1 - 20 of 27 Posts