Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT Edition
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I’m new to the forums but have visited many times before as a guest. I live in the DFW area and own a couple of bikes but my pride and joy is also the newest, 2020 ZX-10R KRT. With that being said, something happened today that I can’t figure out, was hoping maybe someone could give some insight.

I bought an Acra carbon slip on with a link pipe to delete the cat and planned to get it tuned and flashed anyway so I decided to let the local shop install the parts for me as well before they put it on the dyno. They installed everything, tuned and did the flash on the bike a couple of weeks ago, it has been running beautifully until today. They did not need to install a servo buddy, they said they were able to take care of that with the flash.

Recently, I ordered an R&G racing tail tidy kit which I installed today myself. Done these a couple of times before and pretty straight forward. Everything went together smoothly but when I started the bike after I was done, the darn check engine light came on. I did disconnect the ECU to get a little bit of clearance to feed the new wires back through so I was thinking maybe something happened there? Other than that, there is one other clip that needed to be disconnected to remove the plastic cover on the ECU which I checked as well. Took the bike for a quick spin and everything seems to be running fine but only rode it for about a mile. Went back in and double checked to make sure all of the clips were snapped in tightly. There are a couple of clips from the harness that are capped off, probably for the servo, but other than that, everything seems to be as it was before I started.

Is it possible that disconnecting the ECU may have undone something the shop did with the flash or maybe something happened to the ECU when I unplugged it? Thinking back, I probably could’ve done without disconnecting it but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. I still have the servo buddy so I was thinking maybe that’s all I needed to do is install it but was also worried I might have jacked something else up so I figured it would be better to investigate further before doing anything. Any insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you taken a look at the service manual for the Gen 5? There's a way to access the error code; which you can cross reference with a list of codes for what the fault is. There are ways to clear it too, either take it to the dealer that can plug it into a computer to clear it, or you can run it in a specific way (I think its 5 min idle and 20 mins higher than 40kph, assuming you can actually ride it). Chapter 17-10 in the service manual under Self-Diagnosis system which you can find on this forum too. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The good news unplugging the ECU will not effect its settings, so relax a little, its possible you dislodged pin in the block though, but the RG kit does it have LED light or lights, or did you not connect a light of any type after removing the OE one? And as above if you can read the code that will likely be the issue in it's entirety.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I’ll take a look at the manual and see if I can identify the fault code this afternoon when I can get into the garage, I’ll report back.

The R&G kit I installed reuses the turn signals but It did come with an LED license plate light which I installed. Is it possible that the new LED light could be causing a problem? I didn’t think about it but now that you mention it, I’ve installed LED headlight conversions on a couple of my cars, sometimes they cause goofy stuff to happen and ultimately need special resistors to function properly.

All lights are functioning correctly and bike seems to be running normally, although I’ve only ran it for a short time and distance, is it safe to ride with the light on?

Thanks a bunch for the replies and troubleshooting help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I checked the manual and all it says for troubleshooting the engine light is to take it to a certified dealer. Can’t really find anything anywhere that explains how to get the fault code so worst case, I’ll have to take it back to the shop to have it scanned but that will have to wait until Tuesday.

In the meantime, I opened everything back up to make sure none of the ECU pins were bent and that all clips are snapped in, everything was fine. I also plugged the old LED license plate light back in to see if maybe that caused the issue but engine light stayed on. Checked to make sure none of the fuses were blown, all fine. I rode it for about 10 miles to see if maybe it would reset itself but of course it wouldn’t be that easy.

For kicks and giggles, I plugged the servo buddy in as well and fired it up, that did not help either so something else is happening.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
Ok, so I checked the manual and all it says for troubleshooting the engine light is to take it to a certified dealer. Can’t really find anything anywhere that explains how to get the fault code so worst case, I’ll have to take it back to the shop to have it scanned but that will have to wait until Tuesday.

In the meantime, I opened everything back up to make sure none of the ECU pins were bent and that all clips are snapped in, everything was fine. I also plugged the old LED license plate light back in to see if maybe that caused the issue but engine light stayed on. Checked to make sure none of the fuses were blown, all fine. I rode it for about 10 miles to see if maybe it would reset itself but of course it wouldn’t be that easy.

For kicks and giggles, I plugged the servo buddy in as well and fired it up, that did not help either so something else is happening.
Um, welcome?

You didn't read the manual very well if you couldn't figure out how to pull the service code yourself. But here, this may help with that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sky. I just flipped through the entire manual and it does not have a self diagnostics section that I can see. There is a table in the general information section that shows the different indicator lights which is number 4 in this case. In the recommended actions, it just says there is a malfunction and to take it to a certified Kawasaki dealer. Maybe I am missing something but I just don’t see it anywhere. There is also a troubleshooting section towards the end of the manual that pretty much says the same thing.

Regardless, the info you gave was helpful, thank you. I followed the instructions in the post, Error code is 31.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
Thanks Sky. I just flipped through the entire manual and it does not have a self diagnostics section that I can see. There is a table in the general information section that shows the different indicator lights which is number 4 in this case. In the recommended actions, it just says there is a malfunction and to take it to a certified Kawasaki dealer. Maybe I am missing something but I just don’t see it anywhere. There is also a troubleshooting section towards the end of the manual that pretty much says the same thing.

Regardless, the info you gave was helpful, thank you. I followed the instructions in the post, Error code is 31.
Uh, the self-diagnosis section is chapter 17. Starts on page 615. You are clearly not looking at the Service Manual which is completely different than the Owner's Manual.

You didn't plug in the tip-over sensor properly or it's not orientated properly.

Reactions: mte78

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I just realized that I am probably not looking at the same manual as you are. I have been looking in the owners manual this whole time, sorry for the confusion on my part.

Anyway, although I did have to unplug the sensor to remove the plastic cover, it’s plugged in firmly and and appears to be in the right position. I had to step away from it for a bit but I’ll get back to it shortly.

Thanks for being patient with me and my ignorance, spent a lot of time under the hood of my cars over the years but I never really had the need to work on bikes much.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
So I just realized that I am probably not looking at the same manual as you are. I have been looking in the owners manual this whole time, sorry for the confusion on my part.

Anyway, although I did have to unplug the sensor to remove the plastic cover, it’s plugged in firmly and and appears to be in the right position. I had to step away from it for a bit but I’ll get back to it shortly.

Thanks for being patient with me and my ignorance, spent a lot of time under the hood of my cars over the years but I never really had the need to work on bikes much.
No worries. Glad we're on the same page now. [pun intended]

You don't have to unplug the sensor at all to remove the plastic tailsection. If it was unplugged and you turned the ignition on while it was unplugged, then you found your problem. Either that or you damaged the wiring going to it. You need to follow the code clearing procedure in the link I posted before. Since you don't have access to the KDS, or the Woolich software to the ECU, or an ODBII interface, that's what you have to do to clear it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It’s very possible that I turned it on to test the lights before I put everything back together, not 100% sure where I was at in reassembly when I did that but I would venture to say the sensor was probably unplugged. Rode it for about 45 minutes a little while ago and the bike is running fine.

I’ll run the reset sequence tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
ZX10RR
169 Posts
If you plugged it correctly and its in the right place just ride a couple times and it should clear itself with no issue.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,876 Posts
If you plugged it correctly and its in the right place just ride a couple times and it should clear itself with no issue.
^^^^This. It will clear itself over several rides if nothing else is wrong. Follow the clearing procedure as close as you can and you'll be fine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Perfect, I’m pretty confident the sensor was unplugged when I turned it on to verify the lights were working. I’ve inspected everything several times over to make sure all wires and pins are intact and that all plugs are snapped in properly. I really didn’t do much in there other than take out a few screws and fish through a couple of wires. The install kit is pretty straight forward. The only two things I did that have anything to do with this is unplug the ECU and unplug the tip over sensor, both disconnected and reconnected very easily. This was done just to give me a little extra room to fish the wires through from under the bracket but in hind sight, it really didn’t give me any added advantage so I could’ve done without it for sure.

I really appreciate everyone’s help on this, hopefully I can return the favor some day. I’ll post an update once the light turns off. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Modern bikes in many ways are seriously over complicated, but the flip side is they often give great big clues in the form of a code as self diagnosis, this is a perfect example where in truth we were guessing as something un-related was mistakenly meddled with. Credit to Fastrak for providing detailed and punctually replies and information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick update: finally had a chance to run the bike a few times, light is now off. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts