Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was planning on doing the major service soon and was looking for a writeup on how to do the valve adjustment. I know there's the drainfade writeup, but his website seems to be offline. Does anyone have it saved somewhere that they could share? Or are there any other good writeups out there?

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's mostly the same for any inline 4 sportbike. The most important thing is to take your time and not force anything. Steps for everything are in the service manual. This includes measuring clearance, removing and installing camshafts, and everything else you'll do before and after that. Print out the relative pages and reference them as you work.

Leave the engine for at least 24 hours to make sure it's at ambient temperature before measuring clearance.

Cover/plug any holes you reveal as you work. You don't want dirt, tools, or parts falling into the engine Use a torque wrench, especially on the camshaft cap bolts.

Measuring clearance takes some practice. If you can get someone with experience to check your measurements it might save you buying shims a second time. Double check your math before you buy any new shims.

Make sure the engine is timed right when you're reinstalling everything. Triple check your work. Turn the engine over by hand before starting it up again to make sure the timing is right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, the link for that writeup is broken, so I was hoping someone had it downloaded. I've done valves before, but I heard the first gen ZX10s are a real pain to get clearance for the valve cover to come off - my mechanic said I might need to remove the radiator and engine mounts so I can swing the engine forward. If anyone has any tips on this front, it'd be much appreciated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts