Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
draggin knee, easier for tall or short guys?

draggin knee, easier for tall or short guys? i kinda confuse myself thinking about it because both sides make sense...

do u guys think its easier for a taller or shorter guy to drag a knee?

the arguement im seeing so far is, it should be easier because of the length of limbs but the other side is saying if your tall you have to carry more corner speed due to the mass... does mass have as much to do with hanging off as weight?

say for example a 6' guy and a 6'7" guy both the same weight carrying the same speed...

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMO, much easier for a tall person to drag a knee as they can make their leg like a giant outrigger and with equal lean angle it would be closer to the ground. Also easier on a shorter seat bike

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've seen this.. its easier for a TALL guy. I have a guy in my bike club who does track days with me and at summit point a few weeks back this guy was sittin at like 35 degrees of lean and was draggin his knee... it was hilarious!! i call him daddy long legs now.. damn near no lean angle needed!!! lol

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
Tall guys (like me) it's easier. I have a couple short buddies that have a harder time. It's really all about body position. the BEST thing you can have happen, is go to a track day. Have someone take photos of you during a "hot lap" and then look at your body position. Compare it to the pros and you'll see your problems immediately.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I dunno, but maybe b/c the distance from their ankle to knee is shorter, thus the distance needed to complete triangulation is shorter... make sense?

I will try again; He has to lean less since hes knee is going to be closer to the ground in a lean....

:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Tall guys (like me) it's easier. I have a couple short buddies that have a harder time. It's really all about body position. the BEST thing you can have happen, is go to a track day. Have someone take photos of you during a "hot lap" and then look at your body position. Compare it to the pros and you'll see your problems immediately.

its not about me...

<----------thats me in my avatar last year on my 636

i can get knees down pretty easily and have done a few trackdays. was just something that came up on another forum and had me thinking.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
its not about me...

<----------thats me in my avatar last year on my 636

i can get knees down pretty easily and have done a few trackdays. was just something that came up on another forum and had me thinking.
I only wrote that instruction for the guys that need some help. I ride an 05 636 as well... GREAT little track whore! Surely you'd agree on the "seeing yourself" via a photograph thing tho.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
This is 2 weeks ago at HPT Topeka, KS.

I still have issues getting farther off the bike comfortably. I still look at my own pics 4 years later to critique my skillz... that and lap time of course!:helmet:

Attachments

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
This is 2 weeks ago at HPT Topeka, KS.

I still have issues getting farther off the bike comfortably. I still look at my own pics 4 years later to critique my skillz... that and lap time of course!:helmet:
2 weeks ago huh? Thats cool was racing there 3 weeks ago with CCS/ASRA. What kind of lap times are you running if I may ask?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I only wrote that instruction for the guys that need some help. I ride an 05 636 as well... GREAT little track whore! Surely you'd agree on the "seeing yourself" via a photograph thing tho.
for sure! actually a buddy of mine was looking for some help on his form (not that im great) but i had him come over and we strapped his bike down in my trailer, he hung off like he normally does and i took a picture and showed him what he was doing compared to what he thought he was doing. after he made a few adjustments we went out to our local little playground and made some passes while i took pictures of him.

pictures helped me a LOT. even still i try to look, in my avatar i was sitting pretty upright even though it didnt feel like it. ive been working on it though with the help of pictures. still not down as far as i want to be...

part of my problem of getting my head/shoulder down farther is being able to tilt my head back far enough to see ahead of me. if i tuck my head/shoulder too far i cant get my head back to look through the turn and have to pull a "rossi" and look at my line. dunno why, but it strains the hell outta my neck.

·
OMG Look at that squid!!
2,595 Posts
2 weeks ago huh? Thats cool was racing there 3 weeks ago with CCS/ASRA. What kind of lap times are you running if I may ask?
LOL Not as fast as you!
I can run a 2:00.xx right now. Hoping to break into the 1:58's by year end. AND THATS fast enough for me. I'm not racing nor trying to win a (nother) track day crash trophy! Already have 2 of those..!

I have several good friends running CCS Expert this year. Nick Spooner, Mike Simone, Dan Blake... Spooner is getting into the 1:50/ 1:51's on his R6... Hauling ASSSS! They are all running R6's and competing in 600 SS. Other classes to, but the competition is fierce in that class... Jeff Wood, Matt Hall etc.

HPT kicks ass no? I friggin love that track. Been 7 times since 04.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
LOL Not as fast as you!
I can run a 2:00.xx right now. Hoping to break into the 1:58's by year end. AND THATS fast enough for me. I'm not racing nor trying to win a (nother) track day crash trophy! Already have 2 of those..!

I have several good friends running CCS Expert this year. Nick Spooner, Mike Simone, Dan Blake... Spooner is getting into the 1:50/ 1:51's on his R6... Hauling ASSSS! They are all running R6's and competing in 600 SS. Other classes to, but the competition is fierce in that class... Jeff Wood, Matt Hall etc.

HPT kicks ass no? I friggin love that track. Been 7 times since 04.
Cool, yeah HPT is awesome for sure. I love racing there. Yeah Jeff Wood. Robert Jensen and Mike Smith were there as well as Pascal Picotte so yeah there was a bit of competition not to mention the normal CCS fast Experts. My best time was a 1:49.8 but I am sure next time I can get into the 48's with a little seat time. That being said I think between Jensen, Wood, and Smith breaking the record every time out I think it ended up around 1:42.9 by the time they were done.:badteeth: 2:00.xx is not bad at all and race pace would knock you down a few seconds just because you are racing.:thumbsup: Have you ever thought about trying a race out to see how it goes? It's a lot of fun but then again another VERY expensive addiction.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts