Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made my second trip to the drag strip today.
I strapped the front, but otherwise it's a stock '05 ZX10R, w/Yosh slip-on, 16t.
Temp was near 80, elevation is 4000'.
My previous best was a 10.5618 @ 135.71mph, reaction time of .0051
Today I did a 10.3323 @ 136.24mph (with a horrendous) reaction time of .4676
Problem was I red lighted 4 times straight, and was gun-shy about launching on the third yellow, so when I finally clocked a run I was real slow on the trigger.
Whats bad, is the starter kept telling me to stage farther back, but it ended up I was rocking back slightly and getting the red light from unstaging backwards. So I should have been staging deeper.
Ohhh well, you learn something new everytime you run.
I'm hoping to drop into the 9's once I start hitting my reaction times again.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Corrected to seal level, I'm running a 9.82 @ 143.33mph.
The 4000' elevation and super dry conditions are hell on horsepower.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
JodyH said:
Corrected to seal level, I'm running a 9.82 @ 143.33mph.
The 4000' elevation and super dry conditions are hell on horsepower.
do you have a link for a calculator to correct for sea level.

I was going to say you had very good #s anyway for that elevation,so :thumbsup:

Also, do you like the .5 tree....I personally hate it....couldn't you request a .4 tree at the line?...With that tree you just wait for all 3 yellows and go....like a bam bam thing....just a thought but that's what we run for motorcycles on my track.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
bluedevil said:
do you have a link for a calculator to correct for sea level.

I was going to say you had very good #s anyway for that elevation,so :thumbsup:

Also, do you like the .5 tree....I personally hate it....couldn't you request a .4 tree at the line?...With that tree you just wait for all 3 yellows and go....like a bam bam thing....just a thought but that's what we run for motorcycles on my track.:thumbsup:
I agree . . . I totally HATE the .500 tree! It is too much of a guess! I like the .400 Pro Tree! Like you said, it is BAM and GGGOOOO!

For our Street Legal Series, they have no choice but to use the .500 Sportsman Tree. But in the Summit ET Series, we have a split tree (.400 or .500 your choice) partly because we have SNOWMOBILES race with us!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We only have the .5 tree.
To really get a good reaction time I have to go when the 3rd yellow gets it's brightest, but not when it first lights up (red light) and not when it starts to dim (.3+ reaction times).
How's that for a hillbilly guess on the tree?
:badteeth:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Nice times for real and corrected:thumbsup: Keep practicing they will only get better.:helmet:

·
Registered
206 Posts
JodyH said:
To really get a good reaction time I have to go when the 3rd yellow gets it's brightest, but not when it first lights up (red light) and not when it starts to dim (.3+ reaction times).
Tha's a better guess at the .500 tree than I've ever had. I competed in the B&M Shifter Bracket Nationals in Las Vegas in 2004 (against cars) and I think my approximately 14 times down the track in 4 days, I think I had one good light (the cars use the .500 tree). I told myself "No more .500 tree!"

Keep trying though! SERIOUSLY! Don't worry about the numbers somebody in some magazine is running or whatever. My first trip down the track on my 2001 ZX-9R was like 11.76 seconds at 122 mph and eventually I improved that to 10.024 seconds at 137.29 mph (but, it took a lot of runs to get there).

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
JodyH said:
ah, too bad you can't do the .4 tree. I noticed in the link you sent me it only starts at 1200ft elevation....sugesting it doesn't matter much under that. :dontknow: f'sho....bet there are many other factors.

but great time....I think it's SR or Motorcyclist magazine that is saying a stock Gix1k does 9.79s..but knew that was corrected some how(maybe to make it the best time..:idea: ) ...so good time as real world back to back test with the gix the 10r has won plenty even though it's a wheelie monster.:thumbsup:

Also, when I meet Rickey Gadson he specifically asked me about if the clock on my track was doing 1500 elevation correction...or something like that...I didn't really know....I think he liked my #s though because he said I did a good time.:dontknow:

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I have learned that the tens clutch engages fater than all my other kawi's. so i let the third bulb light up just for a moment then dump the power to her.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Very nice. . 2/10th's better than last time, you make that time up every time you go and by the end of the summer you'll be running 6's. . hehee. Seriously though very good numbers, It is still cold here so I haven't been to the track yet. . hoping to get there soon though, I pray for the low 10's :)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
10's on the zx10 is easy. you can get in the 9's

·
Registered
403 Posts
sczx10r said:
10's on the zx10 is easy. you can get in the 9's

I wish it were easy!!!!! I went to the track today, Second time using the 15T, and again I could only muster a 10.7 @ 140mph. I ran a 10.7 six times in a row!!! It would be great if I were bracket racing!!! LOL, but i'm not bracket racing, I'm trying to hit 9's.......I guess by the end of the summer I will have my 9's.......(Maybe) But I think i'm improving with my 60ft times pretty good, learning how to launch this bitch with the 15T...I realize that I don't have to rev her up to 6500-7000rpm with the 15T, I only take her to 4000rpm and launch. I have yet to go WOT from a launch....But in time I will........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts