Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i wanna run at the local track on test and tune night but from my understanding i need a switch that goes around my wrist to kill the bike if i fall off. my question is what in the world is it called and where in the world can i find it? i've seen people call it a dead man switch but that turned up nothing on a net search please help me!!!!!!!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
natisfinestzx10r said:
ok so i wanna run at the local track on test and tune night but from my understanding i need a switch that goes around my wrist to kill the bike if i fall off. my question is what in the world is it called and where in the world can i find it? i've seen people call it a dead man switch but that turned up nothing on a net search please help me!!!!!!!
How do you know you need the switch?...a stock 10 or even a modified without nitrous should not be required in most places. :headshake:

check out this thread as well:

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35815

·
Registered
170 Posts
natisfinestzx10r said:
Its called kill switch lanyard and you can get it at Schnitz Racing website.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I doubt you have to have one, but if ya do.......if you don't want to spend any money you can make your own "tether switch".

Take a short screw and a lanyard, screw the lanyard to the on/off switch on your bike and now you have a "kill switch".:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
... NHRA tracks have a few PITA rules for running bikes. In a nutshell, it breaks down to how fast you're running... in 3 general areas.

anything SLOWER than 120mph of trap speed you must have:
1) Protective coat (should be leather, but I've seen some tracks let people use textiles)
2)Over the ankle boots
3)Gloves
4)Approved full face helmet (snell, DOT, etc.... must be 'current'... something like the last 5 or 7 years)
5)Full length pants (jeans will do)
6)...and a bike in good condition that will pas tech. That means clean, with both functioning brakes and throttle, chain guard, etc.

If you are going OVER 120mph of trap speed, they want (in addition to above):
1)leather (or approved textile... depends on the track) pants to go with the coat.
2)a tether switch (dead mans switch, lanyard, pull switch, etc) that is wired into the low voltage side of the ignition... using the standard bike kill switch circuit works just fine . I bought mine from a local cycle shop, but places like Cycle Gear should have them or be able to order the... along with any dedicated bike race shop/website.

As far as the NHRA rulebook goes, that's all you need for 10.0 and slower... regardless of the actual time Vs MPH you have (so long as it's slower than 10.0). A silly trick for people with fast bikes up here who don't want to put lanyards or full leathers on was just to run full bore 1000ft runs, then brake down to 119 for the traps. :) Some tracks don't like this, and will use the 1/8 mile time/speed to see if you 'should' have run out of the 120mph index. They don't do that up here, but it's not unheard of.

That's it.... until you break into the 9's. Once you're there, you need a NHRA competition license. THAT is a PITA for regular old joe... you'd have to ask for the paperwork on site to get that ball rolling. If you're a mostly stock streetbike (or a novice at the drag racing deal), you shouldn't be seeing the 9's for a while . Don't let a few easy rules discourage you... it's a lot of damn fun, and you should give it a try if you can.

Cheers

PS Get a copy of the rulebook, and read the damn thing! Track officials can (and often are) be wrong about the rules they try to enforce. I've had it happen several times, and sometimes they confuse the car rules with the bike rules. For cars, you need a competition license to run any MPH over 135... where with bikes you do not. Knowing, and being able to point out stuff like that can make quite the difference in your night ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts