Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whos running modifications to clutch pack and what are they? Include all tips on extended clutch life(that you tried and it works, no hear say crap!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
rated zx said:
whos running modifications to clutch pack and what are they? Include all tips on extended clutch life(that you tried and it works, no hear say crap!!)

well Rated it appears to me your one of the fastest guys on here so I don't nessasarily think anyone is going to be able to help you slow down the wear on your clutch..without slowing you down in the process lol.
There are different widths of fibers, have you swapped out any thinner fibers for a thicker one to keep your stack height in specs?? other then that I'm not sure there is much else you can do to make the clutch live longer. Especially in a drag racing situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
BONE STOCK CLUTCH!!!!!! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since i've been running the 10r ruthless, and for the rest of the forum guys, i've been running stock setup, its great and easy to slip, it's just they wear to fast for the money. i get about 35 good et passes per set, then i take them out when i start losing E.T. Notice I said E.T, cause worn clutches wont neccasarily make you lose mph in the 1/8th, just 60', at first. I take them out too man and clean them, resoak in between track trips also, just wanted to see what you guys are trying thats all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
rated zx said:
since i've been running the 10r ruthless, and for the rest of the forum guys, i've been running stock setup, its great and easy to slip, it's just they wear to fast for the money. i get about 35 good et passes per set, then i take them out when i start losing E.T. Notice I said E.T, cause worn clutches wont neccasarily make you lose mph in the 1/8th, just 60', at first. I take them out too man and clean them, resoak in between track trips also, just wanted to see what you guys are trying thats all.
I counted some time slips last night and I had 88 time slips!!! :eyecrazy: Not to mention about 2,000 street miles since I have had the bike. Clutch still feels good even after this w/e. I am about to order another clutch to have a spare. I can get a good deal on steels and fibers if your interested?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
rated zx said:
since i've been running the 10r ruthless, and for the rest of the forum guys, i've been running stock setup, its great and easy to slip, it's just they wear to fast for the money. i get about 35 good et passes per set, then i take them out when i start losing E.T. Notice I said E.T, cause worn clutches wont neccasarily make you lose mph in the 1/8th, just 60', at first. I take them out too man and clean them, resoak in between track trips also, just wanted to see what you guys are trying thats all.
do you check your stack height when you have the clutch out?? I would bet that you can swap fibers to meet the specs of the stack height without changing out an entire clutch. I used to add a thick fiber in my busa stack after 100 or so passes to get the stack height built up a little again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah i checked individual clutch fiber wear with micrometer, everytime, and yes i put thick ones in when needed to compensate. 88 passes?????? yeah alright :dontknow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
rated zx said:
yeah i checked individual clutch fiber wear with micrometer, everytime, and yes i put thick ones in when needed to compensate. 88 passes?????? yeah alright :dontknow:
Maybe instead of doubting him you should listen to what he has to say.. he's cutting the same 60's as you with much less wheelbase.. :wink:
I don't doubt for a second he has that many passes on a clutch. I had that many on a turbo Busa with a stock clutch set-up and I'd guess it had many more in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
look guy, comparing suzuki to kawasaki is like comparing apples to oranges when it comes to clutches. You said you ran a suzuki, so you should no this!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
on top of that, i didn't doubt him, i was just saying his riding style obviously works with the zx10 setup, ask anyone who runs prostar how many passes they get out of the 10s clutches before changes. look at there 60'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
rated zx said:
oh yeah man, i forgot, my bike goes into the 6.20 range when the clutches start slippin down low
Hell we haven't seen a 6.20 time slip much less a 6.0-6.1 time slip. You would think that a stock wheelbase bike would be harder on clutches than a stretched bike. The reason you probably get less passes on a clutch than me is your weight!!! :wink: :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
slips will be posted for all to see, no need to fake the funk here man, im puttin them on in the morning, im at work right now

Hold that thought!!!!!! :fu2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
rated zx said:
slips will be posted for all to see, no need to fake the funk here man, im puttin them on in the morning, im at work right now

Hold that thought!!!!!! :fu2:
If you want me to go do a recount on all my slips I'll do that!!!!!! :crackup:
:eek:ccasion1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
rated zx said:
look guy, comparing suzuki to kawasaki is like comparing apples to oranges when it comes to clutches. You said you ran a suzuki, so you should no this!!!

:rolleyes: really? I don't "no" but I do know. :lol:

A clutch is a clutch. :eek:ccasion1 some people are just harder on them then others.

have you tried heavy duty springs in your clutch??
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
Yall are funny...:lol:

Sounds like lovers quarrel...:makeout:

:postwhore
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it aint that serious pimpin, you cats wanna get hostile, thats what i do for living, meet me down in huntsville, AL. this w/e, there's a race on sunday, we can settle it in the 1/8th, you got the hit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,945 Posts
rated zx said:
on top of that, i didn't doubt him, i was just saying his riding style obviously works with the zx10 setup, ask anyone who runs prostar how many passes they get out of the 10s clutches before changes. look at there 60'

yea there 60 is MUCH better then yours with a stock wheelbase.
I know most of them are cuttin mid to high 1.4's
All of the literbikes from what I see are harder on Clutches then a Busa would be. I don't know if it's because of the amount of slip nessasary or because of the surface diameter of the clutch being smaller. Either way they tend to burn up clutches much faster then a busa does.. The zx-12 is hard on clutches as well.
after your burnout do you lean the bike to the right to soak the plates in oil real good before the run?? I know that has helped for me.
 

·
Hillbillie Mod
Joined
·
20,155 Posts
Well yalls gearing may be different too..

if you have the stock 17t as opposed to a 15t youre gonna have to slip more and prolly go through clutches faster...
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top