Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, i have been having horrible luck with clutches.. i mean every track day i burn one up in a couple passes, or even on the street they are not lasting me shit. I upgraded to a cycle concepts clutch with stronger springs... still no luck... Only thing i can think of as this point is the oil i am running in the bike. I run mobil 1 full synthetic. I ran motul on my old zx10r and my zx9r with out a single problem ever with a clutch with alot more passes. This bike i have only ran mobil 1 and have had the clutch pulled at least 10 times.. what all do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
ive had nothin but good luck with dwayne dragpak both stretch and swb and i run shell rotella synthetic and its lasted me 2yrs but recently started slipin but i will be orderin another dragpak here shortly bc thats the only clutch beside oem thats lasted worth shit. you could change the oil man and see if that help but one thing i did notice with dwayne clutch is you gota keep the cable adjusted alot more often are it will burn up in no time.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one mile on this new oil I change it every 1000 milesI adjust the clutch all the time.. goin motul I guess. .. calling dwayne tomorrow for his input

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ok, i have been having horrible luck with clutches.. i mean every track day i burn one up in a couple passes, or even on the street they are not lasting me shit. I upgraded to a cycle concepts clutch with stronger springs... still no luck... Only thing i can think of as this point is the oil i am running in the bike. I run mobil 1 full synthetic. I ran motul on my old zx10r and my zx9r with out a single problem ever with a clutch with alot more passes. This bike i have only ran mobil 1 and have had the clutch pulled at least 10 times.. what all do you guys think?
Do you habe any videos of your passes? It would help understand what is going on.

Also.. what is getting worn out? Steels warping or fibers burning up? Have any pictures of the last one.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just the steels are burning up, fibers look great.. bike cut a 1.54 60 one of those passes, i think a low 1.6 the next then the last pass i spun real bad, then clutch gave out.. calling cycle concepts in a little bit

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
just the steels are burning up, fibers look great.. bike cut a 1.54 60 one of those passes, i think a low 1.6 the next then the last pass i spun real bad, then clutch gave out.. calling cycle concepts in a little bit
thats exactly how mine look lol. i wouldve thought the fibers would look like crap but they still look good. im actually thinking about reusing them and just pickin up new set of steels.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
talked to cycle concepts, he said i dont have close to the spring pressure needed for my weight with my set up, he said also to run motul oil. He is sending me some different springs, motul oil and all new steels.. just hope its all here by before thursday so i can get it together for kc2k13

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
talked to cycle concepts, he said i dont have close to the spring pressure needed for my weight with my set up, he said also to run motul oil. He is sending me some different springs, motul oil and all new steels.. just hope its all here by before thursday so i can get it together for kc2k13
I made up this "little" video about the different types of springs out there.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I run Dwayne's drag pak in my gen3 with brocks springs, spacers and shimmed. Im around 170ish lbs suited and I have never had any problems. I ride street and have probably 150 passes on my current setup. I also run rotella 5/40 full syn with the brocks petron oil additive.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have Dwaynes clutches in mine and Ive been running Mobil 1 full synthetic car oil for over 3 years. no issues at all. check the pull lever that pulls the clutch rod it might not have any play.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well either way... hoping my new set up works.. may shim these new springs

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Sub'd for some good info.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You're a big guy--your weight is naturally harder on clutches.

Side Note:
Don't run full-synthetics. I'm not scientifically articulate, so I can't school you on the details. But in layman's terms, part synthetics are not as silky smooth and give more 'grip' to your plates.

Personally I 12k clutch slip every race, drag occasionally, and have gone through just two (2) clutches @ 27k miles. Part synthetics the whole time.

·
Registered
772 Posts
How heavy are you? I built a 10 for a guy that's 235 and his clutch always looks great,I could even bet it's a little stiff for him.IVE ALWAYS RAN STOCK FIBERS AND STEELS.....on a mild setup with a 50 shot I put about 300 passes on an OEM clutch with 3stiff springs and 3mm spacers on each spring.just asking but do you have a good clutch hand? Soooo many factors go in a good clutch setup.ive used motul 300v for years and its a religion to me.burnt steels tells me it's slipping terribly,stack height could be off as well

·
Registered
160 Posts
I run Dwayne's drag pak in my gen3 with brocks springs, spacers and shimmed. Im around 170ish lbs suited and I have never had any problems. I ride street and have probably 150 passes on my current setup. I also run rotella 5/40 full syn with the brocks petron oil additive.

I've seen the info on this petrol additive but never came across somebody that actually uses it....how do u like it? And would u recommend it? Everybody can say anything on the net but I need some testimony

1 - 18 of 18 Posts