Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious to know what all the drag racers are using for oil in their bikes, weight, brand? Im using regular Repsol 15w-50. My oil change is coming up and im thinking about trying something different. Also how often does everybody change their oil? I change mine every 2000 even though ive heard it should be 3000 miles.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
I use Castrol R4 superbike oil. I don't change the oil as often as I should.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have had to use non synthetic oil on my new motor but I used r4 superbike on the old one and it ran fine. I think that you should whitch to a lower weight maybe but it's not that big of a deal. 10/40 should do you good but synthetic oil is fine as long as it is sportbike specific that way you don't mess your clutches up.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TX06'10r said:
Im just curious to know what all the drag racers are using for oil in their bikes, weight, brand? Im using regular Repsol 15w-50. My oil change is coming up and im thinking about trying something different. Also how often does everybody change their oil? I change mine every 2000 even though ive heard it should be 3000 miles.
I'm just wondering what's the difference between drag racing requirements and any other riding style when it comes to oil.

·
Registered
376 Posts
conspiracy said:
I'm just wondering what's the difference between drag racing requirements and any other riding style when it comes to oil.
Drag motors are fresh motors, and never broken in like a daily ridden bike. They are used at full throttle or idle all the time, not much in b/w, if any. Parts in them are designed for hitting the strip than the street.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
TheBoss10R said:
Drag motors are fresh motors, and never broken in like a daily ridden bike. They are used at full throttle or idle all the time, not much in b/w, if any. Parts in them are designed for hitting the strip than the street.
My friend in North Carolina does that with his ZX11, but the last time it was fresh was 3 years ago. He had problems with his cam bearing or something like that. He had to pull out the head.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Where would I be able to order ams oil? Also the mobil that you guys are running is it for cars or bikes with gear additives?

·
Banned
856 Posts
regular valvoline 10w40. i change the oil evry other time i go to the track, im convinced it makes the clutches last longer.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
If I ride the bike on the street I'll run Motul 300V 5W-40. At the track I run Redline 2WT Race oil. I change my oil every other race.

·
Registered
376 Posts
conspiracy said:
My friend in North Carolina does that with his ZX11, but the last time it was fresh was 3 years ago. He had problems with his cam bearing or something like that. He had to pull out the head.
Well, when I think of a drag bike, I think of a race bike. Something on the circuit. Not something you put on the street.

TX06'10r said:
Where would I be able to order ams oil? Also the mobil that you guys are running is it for cars or bikes with gear additives?
The Mobil 1 with gear additive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts