Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, I have a 2012 ZX-10 with about 6000 miles on it. Haven't had much of any problems with it, but after sitting in the garage through winter I started having downshifting problems.

I drove it some throughout winter but not a lot. I pulled it out and seems like it is hard to downshift the bike once I am up in 6th gear. I also just changed the oil. Through winter it had full synthetic ams oil, but I went back to full synthetic mobilone oil and it is still hard to downshift. Kinda feels like it may be a little harder than normal to up shift also but not like downshifting.

Not sure how long the clutch will last but we ride the bikes here pretty hard through twisties and our trip to Arkansas.

Any Ideas? Could my clutch already be toast?

·
Registered
941 Posts
i had to soak the clutch plates in oil at 3500 miles. they were bone dry and stuck together with some burn marks on them.

or clutch adjustment needed?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried clutch adjustments. May just go ahead and replace clutch.

I have always ran Barnett clutch kits in my gsxr1000's in the past, but I read a post talking about Barnett clutches are soft and crap. If I do choose to replace the clutch what should I go with? OEM, Barnett, or...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. When I upshift, clutchless, no problems. It shifts up like butter. When I downshift, with clutch, it's not only difficult but I'm getting a lot of feedback from the clutch lever. Sometimes it's so bad it startles me. It's like something is snapping loose at the last second or something as I'm clutching. It also feels like I'm shifting down without the clutch. Very clunky. It just can't be good, whatever it is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah i dont want to open up the clutch just to soak them and have same problem soon again. Id rather get a new clutch kit. Gonna do some research on clutch types tonight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. When I upshift, clutchless, no problems. It shifts up like butter. When I downshift, with clutch, it's not only difficult but I'm getting a lot of feedback from the clutch lever. Sometimes it's so bad it startles me. It's like something is snapping loose at the last second or something as I'm clutching. It also feels like I'm shifting down without the clutch. Very clunky. It just can't be good, whatever it is.
Having never done this before (car or bike):
At what RPM's are you doing this? At what acceleration rate?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dont really pay attention. Just normal shifting. I have done some high speed shifts but the downshifting is where the problem is

·
Registered
682 Posts

Is your clutch cable adjusted properly? When do you get the feedback in the lever, as you let the clutch back out after your shift? If so, it's probably just the slipper clutch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Is your clutch cable adjusted properly? When do you get the feedback in the lever, as you let the clutch back out after your shift? If so, it's probably just the slipper clutch.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It happens when I actually shift(foot lever). The cable seems good. No extra play in the lever and it disengages at a stop which is why it boggles me.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Having never done this before (car or bike):
At what RPM's are you doing this? At what acceleration rate?
Well when I..........

Dont really pay attention. Just normal shifting. I have done some high speed shifts but the downshifting is where the problem is
This^^^

It doesn't seem worse at any given rpm, it's the same all the time. Has done this since day one.

Like I said, upsifting w/o the clutch, this is the smoothest bike I've ever ridden, shifting down, with the clutch, absolute shit!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've noticed that the first downshift I do after upshifting and riding is a bit sticky. I just hzve to pull in the lever a bit more for that first one and then its smoother.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts