Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here running DOT 5 brake fluid in their rides? I was just browsing looking for some DOT 4 to put in my bike after I change the lines and calipers and ran across this DOT 5 stuff. I'd never heard of it before and haven't been able to find any hard core info about it (yet). I get that its silicon-based, has a higher boiling point and blah blah blah.

But what I REALLY want to know is this - does it work well on a ZX10R, does it hurt anything and is it worth the extra $$? I'm about to pull the trigger on some Nissin calipers and already have some Galfer lines that I need to install.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I run DOT5 in mine, the only thing is is you cannot mix it with anything else or it becomes like a gel.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
5.1, eh? Another option. Again, is it worth the extra coin or should I stick to DOT 4?

Either way, this stuff isn't getting mixed with anything else. I'll be cleaning out the reservoir and blowing out the tube between it and the MC, and the lines and calipers all will be replaced. Hell, I might even replace the MC if I find one for a price I like.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Stay with DOT 4. The only advantage that I know of to the DOT 5 is that it doesn't eat paint if it leaks out. For performance applications, DOT 4 is better.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, from all the stuff I'm reading it sounds like sticking with DOT 4 or jumping to DOT 5.1 are the best options. Everybody says to avoid DOT 5 like the plague, unless you race a lot (and I don't) and do a lot of brake maintenance.

I think this time around I'm just gonna stay with DOT 4 since its qualities are well known. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I forgot what I put in my bike when I replaced the stock lines.....I found a unopened bottle of Motul Dot 5.1 in my cabinet so I think I used that stuff and that is an extra bottle. :dontknow:

bloo

·
Certified SLOW
3,131 Posts
I forgot what I put in my bike when I replaced the stock lines.....I found a unopened bottle of Motul Dot 5.1 in my cabinet so I think I used that stuff and that is an extra bottle. :dontknow:

bloo
I'm disappointed in you. You should always know what you fed her. It's like paying for a boob job and not knowing if you got silicon or water bags! :crackup:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I'm disappointed in you. You should always know what you fed her. It's like paying for a boob job and not knowing if you got silicon or water bags! :crackup:
As long as it FEELS the same I don't care...and I feel no diff....it's all GOOD :wink::lol:

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went to a stealership the other day to kill some time and just said fuck it, and just picked up some Motul 5.1. The price was only like $1 more than the DOT 4, so it was a no brainer.

Thanks for the replies guys!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Went to a stealership the other day to kill some time and just said fuck it, and just picked up some Motul 5.1. The price was only like $1 more than the DOT 4, so it was a no brainer.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Make sure you you have everything cleaned out as much as possible before you switch over

·
Registered
874 Posts
What are the advantages of using 5.1 over 4? Just a higher boiling point?

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What are the advantages of using 5.1 over 4? Just a higher boiling point?
As far as I can tell, that is the deal with 5.1. Just the next step after DOT 3 and 4. DOT 5 is a completely different beast, and probably should have been called something else, but 5.1 is the new, improved DOT 4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts