Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Dont want to Beat a dead Horse...but?

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  bkkninja 
#1 ·
I was @ a local shop today and about to buy a chain & Sprockets for my 04 ZX10..the owner told me $150 for every thing.." steel sprockets & O Ring chain "
then he asked if I wanted to up the chain for a bigger CC bike "1400cc" & that would make the chain last longer..I am/was ok with the steel only cause I am a weekend rider and do not race...but was a little unsure about the chain upgrade wasnt 100% sure if it was something I need or if it was real or not..so I need to order a chain & sprockets but..do not know where to start..I want 16t & 41t but do not know the link count I will need & want to make sure I get a good chain thats going to last..I do not mind spending the money the 1st time as long as I dont have to keep replacing....so any help would be greatly appreciated! :badteeth:

#2 ·
no need for the 1400cc chain bit he threw at you. :headshake

The OEM chain length is 110 links and with you using a 16/41 setup that may work but consider a 112 link which will extend the wheelbase a bit.

The new chain should be 120 links that will require cutting or the use of a chain tool to remove the excess links in order to work.

BD

#3 ·
I'm a little unclear as to what was offered. You just need to go back with a 525 sprocket size. Make sure both sprockets are the same size as well as your chain being made for that size. For example, don't buy a 530 (beefier) chain for 525 (factory size) sprockets. They don't work well together. But I don't think you need a 530 chain and I don't recommend 520's for the liter bikes. Hope this helps.

#5 ·
:+1:...it took me 3 years when the 520 started to stretched quick but only at the end of it's life so much it ruined my Aluminum rear sprocket...the Chain lasted longer the owner missed the ball like me I didn't realize it in time. :badteeth:

520 for me though it's light and does last long if well maintained and have thousands of miles on them. :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I purchased a 520 chain , -1 +2 sprockets and had the rear sprocket coated for a longer life span along with a GOLD GXW chain. I got everything for $179 shipped. Maybe it is over kill to some and maybe to you since you don't plan on racing the beast and your a weekend rider, but then it would just make it last even longer for you. For me it was all money well spent. If you don't opt for the rear sprocket to be treated it's $20 less; $159.

#9 ·
#11 ·
When ordering thro them if you get a coated rear sprocket it may take 2-3 days longer b/c of the fact that it needs to be treated. My set up arrived 4 days after I ordered it. Not bad at all. The speedo healer I recently ordered just came in today. Took only two days :cool: If I didn't have drill this weekend I'd have a install frenzy :mrgreen:

#14 ·
Sounds like when I owned my Camero and the shop wouldn't install H rated tires because they require Z rated(over 150mph)....maybe they think are just covering their Arse because 520 is associated with 750 bikes. :dontknow:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.