Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does this sound like a generator problem?? (UPDATED W/PICS)

04 ZX-10 13,000 miles. More than a couple of those are track days. Bike is well maintained/maintenenced.

Last week it was used on a track day at a track in Indiana. After a long right hand turn, when the rider stood the bike up on the back straight and gave it the gas, he says that it just went totally flat on him. It felt like a plug wire or two had been pulled, and was making a low, rattling noise. Someone at the track told him that he had spun a rod bearing, due to oil starvation/too little oil in the motor. Honestly, the oil starvation issue doesn’t seem too likely, since the oil level in the motor was at the top of the sight glass.

Anyway, the owners back home here in La., and we’re trying to figure out just what is wrong with the bike before we go tearing into the motor. Before today, I’d never messed with a 10 except for maintenance issues, so I’m not familiar with the bike or any known issues with it pretty much at all. As far as diagnosis, this is what I’ve done so far.

First, I check that all the coils were firing, and put a set of known good plugs in it. Start it up, the problems still there.
Started the bike up, and you can tell that there is a vague rattling sound apparent and an uncommon “zinging” sound when the motor is revved quickly.
I did a compression test. The motor was good and warm but not hot. All the cylinders are reading and holding anywhere between, say, 225 and 232 psi.
The F.I. led is not flashing as it is supposed to if there is a problem there.
The exhaust butterfly valve is actuating normally.
The engine is not smoking, but if I had to say anything, the exhaust does smell kinda rich. But then, the motor may not have been at a hot enough temp for complete combustion. It never got about 171 deg F on the dash temp gauge before I killed the motor.
The motor does not spin real fast when the starter button is pushed, but then the battery might not have had a full charge. Still, I don’t think it was that weak. Dunno. Forgot my fluke meter at home.
I started the motor again and then I took my stethoscope and listened all over the motor. On the front of the motor, I can hear nothing out of place. At the bottom of the case (still in the front), I can hear nothing that sounds like a rod bearing problem or any other problem with the crank. No strange noises or banging or the like, even when the engine is revved up a bit. Everything sounds nice and smooth. The same goes for the upper front part of the engine. I put the stethoscope all along the head, on the exhaust and flanges, and between the ports. Nothing, no bad sounds.
Working towards the right rear part of the motor, that’s where the “rattling” sound seems to be coming from, esp. when I put my tool around where the clutch cover meets the rear of the cylinders.
I have not pulled the cam cover yet to see if it spit a shim, but the compression test makes me think that’s not a problem.

Originally I was suspecting that there may be a problem with the tensioner/cam chain, like maybe it jumped out of time. That would seem like the most likely culprit, but then like I said, I’m not familiar with this particular motor at all. And then I found this topic: http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10935&highlight=generator

From what I've read there, it sure seems like the generator issue is what we're dealing with. What do y'all think.

I’d really like to have a better idea what’s going on before I just start tearing into the motor. That could waste a lot of time and $$$$, which I guess goes with out saying.

And does anyone have a exact list of just what part #s are needed to fix the problem? I see where there was some kind of mix up for one of the members here that extremelean set right.

Anyway, any advice or insight is appreciated. If there’s something I missed trying, we’re going to get back to it Monday.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Sounds a lot like the generator to me. If you want a complete parts list, you may want to PM extremelean. The difficulties with the repair on my bike stemmed from the part numbers being superseded by updated parts and not getting all of them. If you are going to pay for it yourself (i.e. not warranty), you may find it easier to find a junked '05 and get the whole generator assy to swap in. Or possibly purchase all the parts from the '05.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
busaforhire said:
YOU found that topic?? :mrgreen:
Well, I did ask the ??? on another board, so technically I found it, after you pointed it out to me. :bump:

I didn't know you were a member here. So that's how you found that topic...... :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
po boy said:
Well, I did ask the ??? on another board, so technically I found it, after you pointed it out to me. :bump:

I didn't know you were a member here. So that's how you found that topic...... :eek:ccasion1
I just hope that's the problem. It doesn't matter how we figured it out. :eek:ccasion1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool, Floyd. :mrgreen:

Well, it looks like that was the problem. I haven't torn into it yet, but when I put my sthethescope on the end of the generator shaft and HOLY S**T, the noise is awful.

Does anybody have a good list of the updated, replacement part numbers? I'd like to make sure I have 'em handy before I call the dealer.

Thanks guys. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: The alternator bearing is T-O-A-S-T. Crispy. Well done. FUBAR!!!

Warranty was up in May. Wonder what the chances are Kawasaki will good will the parts?
extremelean, if you see this, what do you think?
It's haulazz's from Labusas bike.

I'll post some pics of the damage after I get back home.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Cool deal at least you figured out what it was.. better then a complete motor nightmare..

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
po boy said:
Thanks for the heads up! You sure saved us a lot of trouble and headache with that link.

:thumbsup:

glad to help.. :eek:ccasion1

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
You're out of warrantee right? How much did the rebuild parts set you back? How different are the replacement parts? I'm wondering if this would be a good preventive mod.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
miykl said:
You're out of warrantee right? How much did the rebuild parts set you back? How different are the replacement parts? I'm wondering if this would be a good preventive mod.
Yes it was out of warranty by three months. I've got a contact at a dealer that's going to try and get the parts goodwilled, but I'm not betting on that.

I wish extremelean would show up to set me straight on which microfiche to go by...the 04 or 05.
And, I'm not too sure just what the root cause of the problem is. What went wrong to make it fail? I'm just not seeing it.

This is what Ron Ayers is asking for the parts I know need to be replaced. I'm not sure that's all it's gonna take.

480J2400 CIRCLIP 24MM $2.42

42033-0010 COUPLING-ASSY $451.03

13234-0021 SHAFT-COMP $134.49

92200-0124 WASHER 24.2X38X1.2 $1.44

21003-0019 STATOR $277.62

92026-0071 SPACER 24.3X38.0X2.0 11.75

Subtotal $878.75
Standard Shipping $36.00
Total $914.75

Freakin' OUCH!!

I'll post back as I get more info. May take a couple of days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, yesterday the bikes owner purchased a generator out of a wrecked bike.
I installed it today. Takes a while to get all that stuff back together.
Got through and took it for a quick test ride. No problems.
The owner had had to leave, but he came home just as I was leaving. He got on it and took off. He passed me on one wheel, givin' me the thumbs up, everything was fine. I called him about 20 minutes later to see just what was up, and he said it started make some kind of noise again when he turned onto the street he lives on, not long after he passed me.. So, I rushed and rushed and took care of some other business and shot back over to his house, stressing the whole time that I'd messed something up some how. I couldn't think of anything.
So I get over there again and get it cranked it up, and heard this damn knocking sound. Break out the stethescope and start listetning.
It's not the starter gear. Not a rod knocking.
It's that damn generator. Again. You can hear it grinding clear as day when you the stethescope on the end of the shaft on the right side. It's not a catastrophic failure, like the last time, but it's going bad all the same. You have to get the revs above about 3,000 rpms before you can hear it.
AARRRRRRGH.

Screw it. He's trading it in tommorrow. I think the generator he got must have been going out, even though it seemed to be fine...spun freely and looked good. He believes that there must be something inherently with the bike. Either way, I can't blame him at all for being shy about putting any more money into it.

Shit. I hate we wasted all that time for nothing.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Some of the part numbers changed from 2004 to 2005. I hope they fixed the problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts