Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy of mine was telling me he poured some brake fluid in his fork seals to swell the seal up so it would stop leaking, he let it sit for about a week and drained it out, put new fork oil in there, and was good to go. He bought the seals but never replaced them because this method worked out for him. The bike has 40,000 miles on the stock seals and he hasn't had any issues other than the first leak and he's ridden a lot since then.

Anybody ever heard of this?

·
Registered
844 Posts
real good possiblity.it's been known to put tranny fluid in power steering too.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Hmmm not a good thing here is a little test you can do yourself put some brake fluid in a tray put in any old rubber part let it soak a couple days it will swell up like huge but in turn the fluid will make the rubber turn to jelly and break apart after that....well you know the end result....but thats just from what ive seen ...ever seen the result when you accidentaly put oil in your brake fluid ...seals swell up brakes stick on ....just my 2 cents...and have been a mechanic for 20+years ...read may be a quick fix but is your life worth it?...i've done lots of forks factory seals are money well spent fork oil takes tremendous heat its always good to change every couple years or sooner depending on miles ridden of course...hope this helps...

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have heard of a guy pouring a little brake fluid in an automatic transmission that was slipping. He claimed it works and that is wasn't a foolproof fix. It was more of a way to keep it limping while you saved the money to the rebuild or a new trans. But it would go for quite a while.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just thought I'd ask, maybe worth a shot. I'm really not looking forward to getting the seal replaced again:headshake

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
A buddy of mine was telling me he poured some brake fluid in his fork seals to swell the seal up so it would stop leaking, he let it sit for about a week and drained it out, put new fork oil in there, and was good to go. He bought the seals but never replaced them because this method worked out for him. The bike has 40,000 miles on the stock seals and he hasn't had any issues other than the first leak and he's ridden a lot since then.

Anybody ever heard of this?
sounds like it might have worked but at 40k why not just replace them?????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts