Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noob to kawi's here, finally got some goodies on the way, got the exhaust off waiting for shortening and a & r baffles and gutted cat, got the tank almost ready to be removed, just wasnt sure if i needed to completely remove it or can i just prop it up? any hints or tips are greatly appreciated
thanks
ryan

·
Registered
3,360 Posts
Propping it up should be just fine I believe...never hurts to take it off though, then it's completely out of harms way...

·
Registered
112 Posts
yeah just take it off and place it asside its easy enough to do, and if your air box is like the 04-05 its way easier to screw with turning that with the tank outa your way...

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah its real easy to take off and you can get to the electrical connectors alot easier, I think the TPS wires are a bit of a pain to get into, might have to remove the airbox to make sure wires are routed correctly but manageable with tank just propped up!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
06-07 you do not need to, in fact you don't even need to take the air box off, the 04-05 pcII has two connectors one under the air box that you would want to take the tank off for. The big connector can be a bit of a pain, and it will feel like you are going to break something, but be persistant and it will come off, reconnecting the PCIII is much easier. Air filter is a peiice of cake with the tank propped up, just use a stubby screwdriver on the bck screws.

·
Postwhore with an 04
4,387 Posts
I prefer to just take it off. Its not hard to remove and just makes it easier.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
9R where abouts are the connectors for the 06-07?
It will be on the right side of the throttle bodies if you are standing behind the bike, if you read the instructions for the PC they don't even recomend you remove the tank, it really is not that hard to get to the connector, its just a very tight fitting connctor, why do more work than you have to, I have a 04 as well, alot of the guys are probably thinking installing the PCIII on the 06 is like the 04, which you could not do without removing the tank and air box, not the case.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here's a more general question for all : the workshop manual tells me to drain the fuel before removing the tank. Is this really necessary, and does the fuel all pour out if I don't ? I suspect not, but just looking for confirmation before I do it.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well it looks like ill be removing the tank anyways, im gonna remove the secondary butterflys while im in there.......who knows, ill give it a try with the tank on. thanks for the tips 9r...

·
Registered
209 Posts
just prop it up on 06 no need to take off.. the PC is easy to install with it like that (once I worked out which way to pull the release on the injector connector DOH), and filter also easy... did this last week :)

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Here's a more general question for all : the workshop manual tells me to drain the fuel before removing the tank. Is this really necessary, and does the fuel all pour out if I don't ? I suspect not, but just looking for confirmation before I do it.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

No you do not have to drain the tank, once you seprate the fuel line it seals, kind of like a dry break line, you may spill a little.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
well it looks like ill be removing the tank anyways, im gonna remove the secondary butterflys while im in there.......who knows, ill give it a try with the tank on. thanks for the tips 9r...
If you are gonna do the flies, I would most definately remove the tank, the screws can be a real bitch, and you most certainly want to stuff a rag down the throttle body below the flies so if you do drop a screw it will not go dont the intake path.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts

Thanks in advance,
Brian
This is done from a safety point view, also the tank is a bitch to carry when full of fuel. So damn heavy. If you plan on removing the tank best to do it when you know the fuel is low in tank. Nice and light to work with.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Only removes these if you got some decent tools and have mechanical experience.
Screws a fairly hard to remove. Requires technique and understanding to get it done correctly and saving ur screws.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thanks 9R-10R, just what I wanted to hear. And thanks too BKK, that makes good sense.

Cheers,
Brian

1 - 20 of 23 Posts