Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Chairman of the Board
16,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the race at Qatar Im wondering if the Tech 3 Yamaha team has the equipment to run with the factory Yami's, Ducati and Honda? Im not ready to slate Spies as the king of road racing yet but I cant help but wonder how good he really is? "IF" he is that good, does he have the machine he needs at Tech3? For that matter Colin is no slouch, Im not sure we wouldnt see him on the podium more if he were in a different saddle. I guess what Im asking is does the Tech3 team have (equipment not riders) what it takes to wrestle a championship from the grips of the factories?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Unfortunately after watching the race I dont think they are there yet but damn close. If Spies or Edwards ahd a factory bike or factory money he would have been 3 or 4. But 5 is very good for a rookie. His biggest challenge will be familiarization with the tracks. Some of the other guys having been riding those tracks 10 + years. But the bike is good but down on power. Handling and brake wise they are very close. I am personnaly pulling for them

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
What most riders tend to say and what makes sense to me is that yes the factory support bikes are indeed very close to what the factory bikes are. For sure rossi, lorenzo, etc is gonna get the new parts first. But if they test well, the other riders will get them soon afterward. You can see that is the case with all the manufacturers too. DePuniet was fast as or faster than the factory hondas in some sessions. From a manufacturers point of view, why would you "hold out" on your satellite teams when at the end of the day, you want your brand on the top. Yamaha would much rather have 4 riders with a legit chance of winning rather than 1 or 2. At that level of racing and the amount of $$$ involved they don't half-ass do anything.

As far as edwards doing better on a full factory bike, he is actually having better results on the tech 3 than when he was rossi's teamate on the factory m1s. So who knows?

Speaking of spies, how bad is suzuki kicking themselves (and rightly so) for not hiring him last year? "Nah we'll just keep capirossi, he is very fast sometimes in qualifying and he may make his 'one or two win a year' return to form this year.":lol: Gotta admit it worked out well for spies though. BTW or10r, if you want to see just how good spies is, just keep watchin him, he's bound to raise some eyebrows this year. A 5th in his first race is pretty impressive. I'm very hopeful for all the American racers judging by what I've seen in this race and preseason testing.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
Spies is for sure raising brows, like expected, but i am confident in saying spies will be on some podiums for sure with the T3 bike. Even if the bike isnt quite there, he has the skills no doubt, to get that bike movin. Gonna be a great year in GP!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Exact same parts ? NO. Factory bikes are always abit ahead of others.
Spies is good and he has proved it but he needs a factory team to shine.
So politics come in. If Yamaha does not ditch Lorenzo (why would they?)
the most possible teams are Honda and then Ducati. Of course salary is of great significance so we'll see...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
At the first race, the Factory and Satellite bikes will be the closest in performance then they will be all year, reason is that new parts will come in and go to the factory bikes first. I actually thought Spies would be a little further up because of that. Also keep in mind that the Yamaha engines (it appears) have been designed for durability a little more so then the others. Thats why they had a bit of a disadvantage. Rossis bike was the slowest top speed out of the ENTIRE field and still won.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Great race, Dovi's bike was on steroids lol! The T3 bikes may podium but only if Stoner or Rossi crash out lol, they don't have quite the speed the factory bikes do.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
At the first race, the Factory and Satellite bikes will be the closest in performance then they will be all year, reason is that new parts will come in and go to the factory bikes first. I actually thought Spies would be a little further up because of that. Also keep in mind that the Yamaha engines (it appears) have been designed for durability a little more so then the others. Thats why they had a bit of a disadvantage. Rossis bike was the slowest top speed out of the ENTIRE field and still won.
:+1: and even more a satellite team is going to remain very close to what the factory guys are using, but the updates come slower and later for a satellite team in motogp. Just goes to show how good ben is, this next racetrack is new to him, so hopefully he can quickly figure out what kind of animal shape the track is and have another great race:lol:, ill send him a keychain

·
Chairman of the Board
16,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:+1: and even more a satellite team is going to remain very close to what the factory guys are using, but the updates come slower and later for a satellite team in motogp. Just goes to show how good ben is, this next racetrack is new to him, so hopefully he can quickly figure out what kind of animal shape the track is and have another great race:lol:, ill send him a keychain
Motegi is next, I think that looks as much like a bunny as anything. I dont know what "The Ben" thinks.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
Motegi is next, I think that looks as much like a bunny as anything. I dont know what "The Ben" thinks.
:lol: ill go with a bunny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts