Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Öhlins front fork FGRT 201 that i bought to my ZX10R 2011 but never installed it. https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/52676/

Now it´s time for my GEN 5 track bike build. One idea popped up, could i fit my Öhlins front fork on my GEN 5 instead of buying a cartridge kit? Will it be problems to use 2016 OEM wheels, discs and Brembo calipers with Ohlins fork?

I will not use OEM front fender holder because I plan to mount Fast Frank QC system for my front wheel.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have Öhlins front fork FGRT 201 that i bought to my ZX10R 2011 but never installed it. https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/52676/

Now it´s time for my GEN 5 track bike build. One idea popped up, could i fit my Öhlins front fork on my GEN 5 instead of buying a cartridge kit? Will it be problems to use 2016 OEM wheels, discs and Brembo calipers with Ohlins fork?

I will not use OEM front fender holder because I plan to mount Fast Frank QC system for my front wheel.
calipers bolt pattern are different , unless you want to use the calipers and rotors off your 2011

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I use OEM wheels and discs with right caliper?

And there is still the question, which is best, Öhlins FGRT 201 och OEM forks with cartride kit? Öhlins would be cheaper an better looking :smile2:

calipers bolt pattern are different , unless you want to use the calipers and rotors off your 2011

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can I use OEM wheels and discs with right caliper?

And there is still the question, which is best, Öhlins FGRT 201 och OEM forks with cartride kit? Öhlins would be cheaper an better looking :smile2:
The Ohlins would technically be better although I'm not sure that if you compared Ohlins cartridges to Ohlins forks you'd be able to tell a difference. Benefits of the full Ohlins forks are usually a better coating on the fork legs, overall more rigid and may have slightly longer travel and they do look badass. The only thing I can't answer is if there are any cartridge kits for the Gen 5 that take advantage of the nitrogen chamber? I know Ktech does not use the nitro and turns the forks into traditional style operation.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The Ohlins would technically be better although I'm not sure that if you compared Ohlins cartridges to Ohlins forks you'd be able to tell a difference. Benefits of the full Ohlins forks are usually a better coating on the fork legs, overall more rigid and may have slightly longer travel and they do look badass. The only thing I can't answer is if there are any cartridge kits for the Gen 5 that take advantage of the nitrogen chamber? I know Ktech does not use the nitro and turns the forks into traditional style operation.
Just to clear up any confusion, the K-tech DDS forks do remove the nitrogen chamber but it does not turn the forks into a open cartridge fork (or traditional style).

Nitrogen in the forks is used to create back pressure in the cartridge. This eliminates cavitation and gives immediate damping response. The K-Tech DDS cartridges use a piston and spring instead of nitrogen to create the same back pressure as what nitrogen would use. So they are still considered "pressurized cartridges".

As to the question about FGRT forks vs OEM with Ohlins carts there are a few advantages of using FGRT forks like mentioned before. But most of the time OEM tubes with cartridges are used because they are the only thing that is legal for racing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the preferred setup for roadracing/trackday purposes? How "good" is the stock setup? Are most folks adding a cartridge insert setup because that's what they're familiar with and/or that's what the "fast guys" are doing? I'm in the process of building mine, and would definitely appreciate hearing any thoughts and opinions. Thank you in advance, and I apologize for the quasi threadjack.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
What is the preferred setup for roadracing/trackday purposes? How "good" is the stock setup? Are most folks adding a cartridge insert setup because that's what they're familiar with and/or that's what the "fast guys" are doing? I'm in the process of building mine, and would definitely appreciate hearing any thoughts and opinions. Thank you in advance, and I apologize for the quasi threadjack.
We had a rider up here doing very well on the oem fork (had the valving/springs changed).

If it's in the budget (suspension is easily the biggest expense in my build) I'd look at a proper cartridge kit. Get stuff that is supported in your area.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Thanks D. Which kit did you decide to go with? How do you like them?
I'll be using the ohlins fkr100 cartridge kit. I don't have them yet and won't have a real review for a couple months.

I used the ktech dds on my last bike and liked them, just no support up here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Scot, what made you switch to the Attack triples vice the Kawasaki "kit" parts. I've heard from a couple people that the Attacks seem to provide a better "feel"... your thoughts?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thank you both for your replies. Scot, what made you switch to the Attack triples vice the Kawasaki "kit" parts. I've heard from a couple people that the Attacks seem to provide a better "feel"... your thoughts?
With the stock clamps on the bike the offset is 26mm which is not bad at all, a very little over trailed..With aftermarket clamps you can set bike up with 27-29mm off set which is where you should want to be.... A bike like the Triumph 675 comes stock with 40mm of offset, Now that's a collar bone breaker!!!! You or I could leave the stock clamps and not have a problem, But racing EXPERT this year makes me LOOK for any advantage I can gain....Good luck with which ever setup you have or go with..Scott

1 - 16 of 16 Posts