Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, My buddys k5 600 has a blown head gasket, and we took it to the stealership to get an estimate on fixing it, and the tech told us that to change the gasket depending on year you have to pull the whole motor. B4 we take it to them and he gets raped out of an extra 300 do have any of yall ever dealt with changing the head gasket on the k5 600 and whether or not that yr the motor has to be pulled or not? Sorry its not abt kawi, but i gotta help out my best friend.

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
YES you need to drop it, it will be more hassle in the bike! Just drop it and save yourself a few hours of bullshitting!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Head gasket can be changed with engine still in the bike. Its a PITA and if you were to attempt it yourself I would recommend removing radiator and front end to give you extra clearance. But proper procedure is to remove engine from the bike. How many hours of labor are they quoting your buddy?

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
6-9hrs at one stealership dependin on droppin the motorand straight 9hrs at the other

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
6-9hrs at one stealership dependin on droppin the motorand straight 9hrs at the other
Wanna hear something CRAZY ... you will have less time in if you just drop the engine. Cause you wont be jimmying, pryin prodding and forcing shit around .. Its a HEAD Gasket . Do you really wanna have to do it twice .. If it was me i would just drop the engine .. but to answer the OP's question on my 2006 GSXR 750 Ive changed plugs, valve cover gasket and some other stuff. Thinking back i know if ya drop the mids, inners and radiator your access should be good enough to be ablle to torque the outside bolts .. :wink:

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Id rather do it for him myself for cheap. i love tinkerin with bikes, but hes VERY OCD abt his shit so he wants them to rape him. honestly as long as he gets his crap fixed and actually rides instead of keepin it locked up yr round. Hes all abt parkin lot pimpin lol hed deff. fit in the recent squid thread, he quote. "likes to have a bike just to say I have one."

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I'll charge you $350 plus the cost of a head gasket and any other services that may be needed..Drop the motor out of chasis and put it in a container and ship it to me via R&L Carriers..

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish, its already been dropped off at moto rouge. thanks anyway

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Looks like the decision was already made, but in any case ... To get the cylinder head off the engine, the exhaust and intake systems have to be disconnected, and if you are at that point, it's a countershaft sprocket, shift linkage, a couple electrical plugs, and a few engine mount bolts from having the engine out of the bike. Not doing that small amount of work will result in a huge amount of struggling due to working in a confined area, as opposed to having the engine wide open on a bench with all the space you want around it.

I've heard of a case where so-called "professional" mechanics rebuilt the top-end of an engine without taking the engine out of the bike, and the engine ended up blowing a head gasket later because they didn't clean the mating surfaces properly, and they didn't do *that* because they didn't have proper space to work around the engine. That's on an engine that can be dropped out of the bike in 45 minutes without even breaking a sweat, either ...

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
looks like the decision was already made, but in any case ... To get the cylinder head off the engine, the exhaust and intake systems have to be disconnected, and if you are at that point, it's a countershaft sprocket, shift linkage, a couple electrical plugs, and a few engine mount bolts from having the engine out of the bike. Not doing that small amount of work will result in a huge amount of struggling due to working in a confined area, as opposed to having the engine wide open on a bench with all the space you want around it.

I've heard of a case where so-called "professional" mechanics rebuilt the top-end of an engine without taking the engine out of the bike, and the engine ended up blowing a head gasket later because they didn't clean the mating surfaces properly, and they didn't do *that* because they didn't have proper space to work around the engine. That's on an engine that can be dropped out of the bike in 45 minutes without even breaking a sweat, either ...
:+2: 100 % agreed

·
Registered
819 Posts
I'll charge you $350 plus the cost of a head gasket and any other services that may be needed..Drop the motor out of chasis and put it in a container and ship it to me via R&L Carriers..

Dwayne has his stuff together. He has figured out how to keep mine alive at 500+ hp and he doesn't bend me over for it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
You do realize you can pull out a engine in less than an hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts