Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am about to turbo my 06 zx10 and want to talk to anyone who has done this , velocity claims its direct bolt on but how safe is 6-8 lbs of boost on a stock motor ? i want to fully build the engine but not till next winter so i want to run the turbo on the stock motor for one summer my bike has 10,000 miles im at least going to have the motor gone through, my buddy has a zx14 turbo but hes running 15lbs obviously he had to upgrade the entire motor just need to get intouch with the some turbo zx10 owners THANKS !!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Its hard to say how much "boost" you can run on a stock motor as that will vary from turbo to turbo, but what I can tell you is many renown motorcycle builders have always told me do not push the stock rods past 275hp. I ride with a guy making 230whp on a stock motor gsxr1000 going on 4k miles and no problems. Hope this helps

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
^I agree, PSI is dependant upon turbo size. As far as what the motor will take, a lot of that depends on the quality of the tune...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys , im going with a stage one velocity kit 6-8psi rated at around 230 hp i intend to beef up the clutch and the top end and hope that will last for one summer , but keep it coming i would like more info

·
Registered
226 Posts
the biggest issue you will run into boosting your bike is fueling. like they said, as long as the tune is done properly, 6-8 lbs is a good area to be in on stocks. i boosted my 06 last winter with the same plans of building the motor next winter too. the money you will spend up front to go to a stage 2 is well worth it though, because when you do run higher numbers, it allows you to just open it all up. plus a set of secondaries with a larger pump is so much easier to get a nice tune out of over the traditional begi. just food for thought though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks this is good stuff , i have never had a turbo bike so im open to all advice , i know im going to do some engine upgrades just not full on bullet proof , thats why i planned on just staying at stage one for a summer then im going to dump no holds barred into the motor and try to go insane with the horse power , but keep it coming , what turbo do you prefer ? is velocity a good reliable system? i dont understand why zx10s arent the most popular bike to turbo cause illl put a zx10 turbo up against a busa turbo any day, i weigh 135lbs and i got it on with my buddies turbo zx14 and i didnt do to shabby , dont get me wrong i can tcompete with it but my ass was not handed to me by any means , and now that im going to a turbo , busa turbo owners are nervous

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Turbo busas and turbo zx14's will be faster because they make ALOT more torque and more ponies too. Way more turbo options for the big bore bikes. If you wanna make the turbo busa guys nervous, be ready to invest $10k into your motor. You can make maybe 250whp on stock internals boosted. Hell, muzzy has a 500hp kit for $10k for the 10r. There are a lot of monster Busas running around. Just an airshifter and exhaust and tune gets them into mid 8 second passes in thr qtr mile. They make tons of torque and torque is what the 10r does not have.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea my builder told me close to 9 in the motor plus the turbo kit so im ready , i just have to make up my mind wether the turbo or the super charger any input on that subject

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
I'm doing the super charger just because it is more compact and less finicky to tune. I have a modified turbo car now and had another in the past. The tuning is never spot on with turbos. On bikes, it seems the oil feed and oil return is an issue with most turbo systems. Plus tuning for the street, partial throttle etc, is a pain in the ass with turbo bikes. i've talked to quite a few turbo bike owners. The super charger I like because it is hidden and also produces more low end torque which our bikes really lack compared to the turbo systems. The super charger kit can also be made to make big power by simply changing the pulley size and retune(assuming fuel is not maxed out). The SC seems like a much easier kit to work with and tune. So aside from tightening and sometimes replacing the SC belt, it is a set it and forget it system. The turbo will need alot of tuning time. It's up to you and your local tuner which system they want.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i agree my friend has a zx14 with a turbo and its a mean bike hands down but its always in the shop , just yesterday his header cracked at the weld so its to the shop again , i really like the super charger , and if i can get away from bullet proofing the engine for a year and its cheaper im waiting to hear from a&a to find out when they are gonna have them ready for 06-07 guys ,have ya heard of anyother companies that make superchargers for our bikes

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hi, i am wondering what computer do you find better for the 06 turbo engine...i am thinking about flashing the ecu or a bazzaz z Fi...but don't really know which is best

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Hi, i am wondering what computer do you find better for the 06 turbo engine...i am thinking about flashing the ecu or a bazzaz z Fi...but don't really know which is best
Bazzaz or flash isn't a good idea to use with a turbo, I would go with a stand alone ecu or power commander 5 pti. You need a system that can add fuel with boost and retard timing depending on the boost as well.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Bazzaz or flash isn't a good idea to use with a turbo, I would go with a stand alone ecu or power commander 5 pti. You need a system that can add fuel with boost and retard timing depending on the boost as well.
Not sure if this is information hidden but does anyone that does flashing like Woolich on ECUs agree with this information?.....after all the Woolich is suppose to get rid of piggybacking things like a PC 5 :wink:

Bloo

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
depends on the Fuel pressure regulator you are using.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Not sure if this is information hidden but does anyone that does flashing like Woolich on ECUs agree with this information?.....after all the Woolich is suppose to get rid of piggybacking things like a PC 5 :wink:

Bloo
The Woolich/flash for Kawasaki's cannot accommodate boost at this point. The Suzuki ECU's have code/flashing available that allows you to rescale the MAP input so you can run boost, but Woolich is not at a point right now where they want to produce that feature for Kawasaki ECU. Justin said perhaps in the future, but it's a lot of work and right now it's not a priority. IIRC the Bazzaz does not have a 5V/pressure trim table for fuel/timing, also making it unsuitable for forced induction tuning.

·
Registered
772 Posts

Bloo

If your gonna own a turbo bike you best know how to tune it,Woolich tuning is great for every application.Yes your gonna need a boost controller,injectors,pump etc...BUT for one to say a pc3-5 is better...wrong

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
If your gonna own a turbo bike you best know how to tune it,Woolich tuning is great for every application.
Oh rly? Did Woolich update the Kawasaki software so we can use pressure table inputs for fuel and timing trims recently? If so, I may do some shopping for my Concours here soon. If not, I'd love to know how you'd tune a boosted bike properly with just the Woolich system on a Kawasaki.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Oh rly? Did Woolich update the Kawasaki software so we can use pressure table inputs for fuel and timing trims recently? If so, I may do some shopping for my Concours here soon. If not, I'd love to know how you'd tune a boosted bike properly with just the Woolich system on a Kawasaki.
Did I say you could tune one solely with Woolich? No I did not,the sky is the limit when your tuning anything. I'm not gonna get in a pissing match about wich is better,but to say you can't tune a turbo bike through ECU flashing is crazy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts