Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm dragracing my 09' zx10r and my wife also uses it when I'm not on it. But she still needed it lower for her to touch comfortably on the ground.
The problem with the Generation 3 swingarm is the upper bracing doesn't allow for it to be lowered very far. The shock reservior hit the bracing and the suspenion is stuck...
I have heard of a gen2 swingarm being used on other Generations so I figured I would try it out. The bracing for the Gen2 swingarm is all done below the swingarm so in theory it will allow for the bike to be lowered even farther.
I found a Gen2 swingarm off ebay for $40 shipped.. It has a few minor scraps but nothing else wrong with it.

I made some new lowering links for the bike a few weeks back when I tired to lower it and the shock stopped it from being any lower and had them ready to install.
I also took out the 9/16" 15mm spacer abover the upper shock mount also to lower the rearend somemore.

All told it worked out perfectly, no fitment or clearances issues whatsoever. The swingarm extentions that I bought worked on both Generations of swingarms.

ALTHOUGH!!!! The Generation 2 swingarm is shorter then the Generation 3 swingarm.

I know this because I used the same chain and everything, when I put the tire back on the chain was way too slack... I mean alot of slack. I'm glad I had about 1-1 1/2" of adjustability in my extentions otherwise I would have had to cut my new master link or find some larger sprockets. But it all worked out and the bike is the same length as it was before with the Gen3 swingarm installed.

So on a regular length bike, make sure you test fit the chain before riveting it together.

All the swingarm parts fit and swapped over without issue. I was able to use my generation 3 rear brake caliper setup. I don't know if you can do this without extentions, I mean reuse the caliper setup. U may have to buy a generation 2 brake setup for a stock wheelbase.

Otherwise it was well worth being able to lower it more. And the looks of it aren't bad either.

The bottom one is the Generation 3 before the swap.. U can see the adjusters are pushed farther back in the top few pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
close up shots

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks good!! I'll give ya $50 shipped for your gen3 arm so you can make your money back!!
It is slightly modified for dragracing and it has a slight ding on the right side where the previous owner must have dropped it on it and it hitting the factory exhaust can. The mod is that the brake tab that holds the brake caliper in place has been cut off this has to be done in order to run a 190 rear tire and have it extended up to about 5-6". Otherwise the tire rubs the brake tab and screws up the sidewall Don't know if u were serious or not. If so please pm me. :thumbsup:

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
Gen2 arm is the best looking arm. Looks good man. Yeah, on the gen2 arm running extensions you have to grind away the rear brake tab on inside of arm. Once you do you can go back 8" . That's what I did atleast.

·
Gen2 Ripper
4,867 Posts
For those wondering, extensions designed for a gen2 arm come with the brake brace tab on them. At least the Myrtle West links do.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Sounds like I'm better off keeping my gen1 arm and selling my gen3 arm due to clearance issues when lowered.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like I'm better off keeping my gen1 arm and selling my gen3 arm due to clearance issues when lowered.
The Gen1 is built about the same in the shock reservior area so I'm not sure if it will be an issue for you or not. The Gen2 swingarm is perfect for taking it even lower though.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
779 Posts
Call me crazy but my bike got longer when I did the gen 2 swap with the same extensions that were on my 3rd gen arm. Your bike looks great! I'm working on making mine look that good again, by the way you should cut them forks. Here a pic of mine unstrapped and forks flush at triple tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
The Gen1 is built about the same in the shock reservior area so I'm not sure if it will be an issue for you or not. The Gen2 swingarm is perfect for taking it even lower though.:eek:ccasion1
Good to know. Thanks!:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
4 Posts
If u dont mind could u send me ur # so we could talk about this swap in detail..Having the same problem and want to do this swap.Thanks Brion...Heres my # if u wanna call me.!229-769-5896

·
Registered
471 Posts
im in the market for a 3rd gen swingarm. if the price is right I have no problem refitting the brake tab. have a gen 2 bike.....trade?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
any of ya'll willing to sell your 3rd gen swingarm?
Pm me.. If interested.. It isn't perfect as it has a small ding/dent on the right hand side of it but it is covered up by exhaust. I bought it that way off ebay and it was never a problem.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I'm dragracing my 09' zx10r and my wife also uses it when I'm not on it. But she still needed it lower for her to touch comfortably on the ground.
The problem with the Generation 3 swingarm is the upper bracing doesn't allow for it to be lowered very far. The shock reservior hit the bracing and the suspenion is stuck...
I have heard of a gen2 swingarm being used on other Generations so I figured I would try it out. The bracing for the Gen2 swingarm is all done below the swingarm so in theory it will allow for the bike to be lowered even farther.
I found a Gen2 swingarm off ebay for $40 shipped.. It has a few minor scraps but nothing else wrong with it.

I made some new lowering links for the bike a few weeks back when I tired to lower it and the shock stopped it from being any lower and had them ready to install.
I also took out the 9/16" 15mm spacer abover the upper shock mount also to lower the rearend somemore.

All told it worked out perfectly, no fitment or clearances issues whatsoever. The swingarm extentions that I bought worked on both Generations of swingarms.

ALTHOUGH!!!! The Generation 2 swingarm is shorter then the Generation 3 swingarm.

I know this because I used the same chain and everything, when I put the tire back on the chain was way too slack... I mean alot of slack. I'm glad I had about 1-1 1/2" of adjustability in my extentions otherwise I would have had to cut my new master link or find some larger sprockets. But it all worked out and the bike is the same length as it was before with the Gen3 swingarm installed.

So on a regular length bike, make sure you test fit the chain before riveting it together.

All the swingarm parts fit and swapped over without issue. I was able to use my generation 3 rear brake caliper setup. I don't know if you can do this without extentions, I mean reuse the caliper setup. U may have to buy a generation 2 brake setup for a stock wheelbase.

Otherwise it was well worth being able to lower it more. And the looks of it aren't bad either.

The bottom one is the Generation 3 before the swap.. U can see the adjusters are pushed farther back in the top few pictures.
damn...now im thinking bout cutting my windscreen if i didnt think it would cost me E.T. from causing more drag/less aerodynamics:dontknow:....looks real good!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts