Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up fellas--

I was wondering about getting a K&N or BMC air filter for my 2008 ZX-Decade, but I don't want to buy it if the stock one is just as good. Can you guys let me know if the air filter helps any??? Should I stay with the stock one???

Your comments are appreciated:wink:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Here we go...

Search "laminar airflow" and you'll find some good info. There are stock air filter proponents, but I'm not one of them.

For those whom filtration is a concern, I've always said that changing your oil somewhat more frequently is just as effective, ATBE, and the environmental balance of never throwing away another air filter with using between 25 and 50 percent more oil may not be that different, if at all.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
Had a K&N; went back to stock.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
What other mods are you doing because just a high flow filter isnt going to help too much, just gonna throw your air fuel ratio off, wait till you do a pipe, pc and a tune

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
k&n or bmc isnt goin to do much if thats the only mod you got done to your bike, but you will save money bc both filters are reusable so you want have to worry about buying another filter anymore.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
k&n or bmc isnt goin to do much if thats the only mod you got done to your bike, but you will save money bc both filters are reusable so you want have to worry about buying another filter anymore.
Probably one of if not the only benefit from using an aftermarket air filter without any other mods.......There have even been a couple times in the past where it seemed that my bike ran better using a stock filter rather than a BMC or K&N too, even along with alot of other mod's and full exhaust system.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Stock flows as much air as an aftermarket. Even with other mods.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
When I ran a BMC (race) my bike ran a little lean. I have a full sys, PC5 + autotune (set to 13.2 AFR). I went back to stock and then on my 2nd stock I took the screen off my 1st one and modded my BMC as shown in the pic. I will put it on a dyno in a few weeks to see what the sniffer reads. Prior reading was 14.5 (last year). With the BMC the RPMs seem to rev a little quicker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't have any hard evidence to suggest one way or another, but IMO other than the reusability factor I don't see it as being worth it. To me it's not worth taking the time to install unless it was already time for a new one anyway.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Something affecting something else or being a contributing factor doesn't mean they're the same - i.e. they're different. They are differing levels of discussion, where the debate about flow can go without empirical proof, which is why I asked for it first.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
paper filters only truely work when partly clogged...You need dirt in there for the filter to do its job......A foam filter is Multidimensional filter..BMC would be my choice..

·
Registered
457 Posts
Still no substantiation for the claim that stock filters flow the same as the specialty filters, especially the race versions.

·
Licensed Dist of HaterAde
11,423 Posts
why is everyone using such big words and arguing over air filters to begin with? damn!!:thumbsup:

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
Think of a foam filter as a multi layered paper filter with bubbles inbetween each layer ,when the outside is clogged it can still flow air...A paper one once its partly clogged,its stops flowing air which leans out a/f ratio..
In regards of k/n over bmc..I like bmc,been told same bad shit from tuners and racers..They rather run paper over a k/n..
The reuseability factor,speaks for itself..

·
Registered
825 Posts
Think of a foam filter as a multi layered paper filter with bubbles inbetween each layer ,when the outside is clogged it can still flow air...A paper one once its partly clogged,its stops flowing air which leans out a/f ratio..In regards of k/n over bmc..I like bmc,been told same bad shit from tuners and racers..They rather run paper over a k/n..
The reuseability factor,speaks for itself..
Less air will richen your mixture,not lean it out.
Like Go Faster,I had a K&N but went back to the stock unit.There was no gain from the K&N that was noticeable.Did not seem to idle as smoothly with the K&N either.
I saw a write up somewhere that had shown that the K&N flowed 9% better than the stock filter.I'll try to find it.

·
Supercharged Mod
4,388 Posts
There are ample dyno comparisons between K&N and stock air filters all over the place on the internet for all sorts of different vehicles, I just haven't seen one for a ZX10R. There's no reason to suspect why the outcome would be any different, though.

On another website that I'm on, we have a sticky thread to de-bunk the K&N versus stock myth, to save repetitive discussions on the same topic. There are links in this thread to many dyno comparisons, so it's easiest to just give the link to that sticky: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=290373 (No, it's not about a ZX10R, but it is about gasoline and diesel internal combustion engines; what it says on the nameplate doesn't make a difference)

I am not a die-hard K&N "hater" by any means. I've dyno tested a K&N and a stock air filter on my race bike, and it made 1/2 horsepower more with the K&N. I probably could have gotten that back by rejetting with the stock filter (with a carbureted engine, slight changes in intake restriction will change the suction pressure on the fuel - this is not true with fuel injection). I'm also about to put a K&N on another bike that I own, although in that case it's only because other changes are being made to the intake system that will prevent the stock air filter box from being used. There are going to be performance gains with this - but it's the other stuff that's going to do it, not the K&N filter itself ...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts