Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went out to the track today. I only got 2 passes in because I had to take my son to soccer practice.

Today, as soon as I got to the track a long time rider I know told me the track sucks again as he already did one pass. So, I tried not to launch too aggressively.

Then on the first pass I hit 10.17s @ 141mph, but get this I HIT THE REV. LIMITER IN FIRST GEAR :badteeth:

I just can’t help to feel I missed my opportunity to hit the 9s on my almost stock bike. :BangHead: but I also know most of it is my fault for taking almost 8 months off for practice, missing out on valuable seat time.

Mods: Stock Wheelbase,Muzzy slip-on(NO PCIII), Lowered & straped geared(16/40), 15,000miles on stock clutch, and I weigh 215lbs fully geared.

·
Registered
448 Posts
:+1:
Same bike and mods, slightly different gearing. I'm 180 in boxers, so were probably close in weight. I've been 9.87, .89 .91 .95 all at that exact same mph. :ayyy: So your definitely there, no worries. My track sucks REAL BAD too so :eek:ccasion1 to ya.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
:+1:
Same bike and mods, slightly different gearing. I'm 180 in boxers, so were probably close in weight. I've been 9.87, .89 .91 .95 all at that exact same mph. :ayyy: So your definitely there, no worries. My track sucks REAL BAD too so :eek:ccasion1 to ya.
thanks for the :eek:ccasion1 but 1 1/2 years ago on a fully prepped sticky track(test and tune day) I did 10.07s @ 145mph and that time slip from that "test and tune day" compared to todays look identical to the 1/8 mile even though my bike shut down for hitting the REV limiter today in first gear...but one thing I have always been consistent and fast at is in the back half. I really think my clutch is going out by the MPH I have been recording lately or lack of compared to my best on that track.:dontknow:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I've been a [email protected]??? with a missed 1-2 shift so I feel your pain. My bike is similar except I have a full system and PCIII and 15/39. I want a 9 so bad I can taste it but I never get the time to go to the track. Haven't even been this year. Maybe when I get to go again that little bottle I tucked under the seat cowl will help. ;)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Keep trying. You might want to think about replacing that clutch with a new stock one pretty soon. Good luck though you will get it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
thanks for the :eek:ccasion1 but 1 1/2 years ago on a fully prepped sticky track(test and tune day) I did 10.07s @ 145mph and that time slip from that "test and tune day" compared to todays look identical to the 1/8 mile even though my bike shut down for hitting the REV limiter today in first gear...but one thing I have always been consistent and fast at is in the back half. I really think my clutch is going out by the MPH I have been recording lately or lack of compared to my best on that track.:dontknow:
Got cha. Didn't know that. If that’s the case, I would definitely yank out the pack and "mike" the fibers and or tumble the steels. If your track traps 145 at an "0", then your probably going to have to do at least that to get the 90's. How's the rest of the bike? Motor feels same, nothing weird there?:dontknow:

The only experience I have with losing a clutch "while racing", was on my 954. Made a full pass (I think a 10.2-10.3) Next pass, I could have shifted all 6 gears before the 1/8th. :badteeth: :lol:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got cha. Didn't know that. If that’s the case, I would definitely yank out the pack and "mike" the fibers and or tumble the steels. If your track traps 145 at an "0", then your probably going to have to do at least that to get the 90's. How's the rest of the bike? Motor feels same, nothing weird there?:dontknow:

The only experience I have with losing a clutch "while racing", was on my 954. Made a full pass (I think a 10.2-10.3) Next pass, I could have shifted all 6 gears before the 1/8th. :badteeth: :lol:
I might have to try another "test & tune day" to be sure as the track is optimum and that's when I usually hit the higher trap speeds. Also, since I been back in the last 2 weeks on bad track condition days not even zx14s or other 1ks have been hitting trap speeds or 1/4mile times like I posted. :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i think the track was not prepped at all and thats the reason you didint run 9s! :dontknow: but anyways let me ask you whats you 60ft on a good day?
On a test & tune day I have hit 1.68s but on Wed. night drags I usually am low to mid. 1.7s. There is a guy that runs a busa and when we raced, I seen him in the 1.7s and still hit 9s somewhat stock like my bike so I know I should be able to get 9s even with those 60ft times because I have beat him before and know my bike is just as strong. So, still looking at the clutch, more seat time, and track conditions.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
On a test & tune day I have hit 1.68s but on Wed. night drags I usually am low to mid. 1.7s. There is a guy that runs a busa and when we raced, I seen him in the 1.7s and still hit 9s somewhat stock like my bike so I know I should be able to get 9s even with those 60ft times because I have beat him before and know my bike is just as strong. So, still looking at the clutch, more seat time, and track conditions.
PM me for pilot services :mrgreen:

BD

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PM me for pilot services :mrgreen:

BD
thanks, but trying to get into the 9s, but when I want to get into the 12s I will surely PM you MR. BD :bd::lol:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't know man. I bracket race with an equally stock ZX12 and Busa. Not to take anything away from our beloved ZX10, but with equal 60ft. times to mine (low 1.7 or high 1.6s) both these bikes have at least 2-3 mph. on me, even at the 1/8th mile mark. Thus translating into a high 9 with very little trouble.
Of course its been proven that the ZX10 has plenty more top end power than the bigger bikes, but I think there extra torque helps them run a little stronger on the strip.

Of course, if we can get those 1.5s :BangHead: Well that would change a few things. :eek:ccasion1 :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Good job Blue....my best was 10.34 at 140 at Formosa...thats before I got kicked for wheelies! :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good job Blue....my best was 10.34 at 140 at Formosa...thats before I got kicked for wheelies! :dontknow:
Wow, that's a great time for a track rider that doesn't do much drag racing. :thumbsup: What were your mods? did you at least lower and strap?

As far as wheelies at drag strip it's not like some race course tracks, they don't tolerate that kind of stuff on most drag racing tracks:headshake . Did you get booted for doing a wheelie on the strip?

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Wow, that's a great time for a track rider that doesn't do much drag racing. :thumbsup: What were your mods? did you at least lower and strap?

As far as wheelies at drag strip it's not like some race course tracks, they don't tolerate that kind of stuff on most drag racing tracks:headshake . Did you get booted for doing a wheelie on the strip?
No strap or lowering, and I never wheelie on purpose. (Really) But it really came up on one run. My buddy said the whole crowd stood up...:dontknow:

They were cool about it though and told me to come back after I learn to keep the front down.

She has lots of mods though and is a real beast.
Full Akro, PCIII, Kawi kit cam intake, Thin head gasket, BST wheels (16ibs lighter) 520 chain kit, -1 in front. The list goes on but you get the idea.

I will try again with a strap on the 22nd.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts