Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question is Do you think America will ever produce a real performance sport bike built entirely in the usa from frame to engine and be a serious contender. The Buell is a good looking motorcycle IMO, but it really lacks in the engine department and handling. Basically a retooled Sportster. I would love to see an American made crotch rocket. I am really afraid though that some companies may think the general thought of us americans is that we are not performance savvy and look foward to the next parts bin harley called the "new" harley. Harley is a cool bike and all but with their stealerships and their snoby Ahole riders that think therir shit doesnt stink bothers me, teh Jap bikes do not loom the same presences who ever buys the typicaly rides them. sorry for the rant

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Problem is they would have to start from scratch with no existing tooling to make an inline 4 , it would be a huge investment and they would have quite a few years catching up to do, but then again, some bright spark restarted Triumph motorcycles and it became quite successful after the initial HUGE investment.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well lets see i have a had a 1979 sportster 1983, 1985. rode many Buells, basically a retooled sporster 1200 cc engine, as previously stated

·
Registered
216 Posts
Between an '03 XB9R and an '04 XB12R i've put over 45000 miles and they handle up there with the best of them.

During that time i did nothing but replace oil, gas, tires and brake pads.

BTW McHaggis what is the photo of. that thing looks awesome!

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
cain772 said:
an american made crotch rocket.

Fischer Motor Company

http://www.fischer1.com/

Yep that one is interesting.
Think it was motorcylclist mag where Fischer wrote in and thanked them for the kind words in an article on the bike and that he was thrilled for his bike to be in the mag.

Then he went on to say that the bike is nowhere near where he wants it to be and can't wait until he can look back on this time as stepping stones. - paraphrased, basic idea.

So he's a guy that is willing to critique his own bike rather than just accept the praise he was given- sounds promising if he can keep going.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
lionheart said:
Between an '03 XB9R and an '04 XB12R i've put over 45000 miles and they handle up there with the best of them.

During that time i did nothing but replace oil, gas, tires and brake pads.

BTW McHaggis what is the photo of. that thing looks awesome!

It's a Motoszysz. http://www.motoczysz.com/main.php?area=home

Basically a guy throwing a bunch of cash at a great idea. It is supposed to be close to MotoGP ready (I think).

BTW Lionheart, BIKE magazine out of ENGLAND wrote up the XB12 as THE BEST HANDLING BIKE AVAILABLE. Big accolades comin' from the Brits. Congrats.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
I wanted the buell to be a little badder when they did the revamp/ gas in frame designed bikes.

Still I sort of want to try out a Ulysses. (sp?)

Adventure tourer that can go at least a little off road....I dunno though.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
lionheart said:
They're awesome as long as your riding an autocross type of track laid out in a parking lot or the road is very tight like 2nd gear at most. On an actual track they can't do the pace that Japanese inline-4s or even twins can. I've seen it firsthand as one of the guys in my group has an XB12 or whatever it is and I think we all saw what the buell did in Formula Extreme against the Japanese bikes. And that was with the AMA doing anything they could to give them an advantage. :lol:

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
engine is the hyosung 650 vtwin engine based on the suzi sv650. Forks i think and also brake discs come from the same manufacturer. Fischer apperantly originally had dibs on the rotax v twin that aprilia used in the original RSV mille. Fischer had to compromise and this was the only engine he could find. Basically the whole bike is a compromise of what he really wanted...pity. I think thats the story anyways...

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mustard said:
engine is the hyosung 650 vtwin engine based on the suzi sv650. Forks i think and also brake discs come from the same manufacturer. Fischer apperantly originally had dibs on the rotax v twin that aprilia used in the original RSV mille. Fischer had to compromise and this was the only engine he could find. Basically the whole bike is a compromise of what he really wanted...pity. I think thats the story anyways...
i've heard the same. it's a shame he can't come up with the funding to build a true sportsbike, he's got some great ideas.

that Motoszysz tho.....AMAZING. hopefully it performs even half as good as it looks. fantastic concept. even with the 999 tail and zx-6r front end, lol.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
see that is what i mean. Fisher is a parts bin bike that truly is not american. I mean I want to see one that has an american born engine in the inline fashion. Its peppy strong and can roll with the 10 and gixxers. I am not really putting down the Buells. I was actully thinking of buying one before the ten but I didnt like the way the B uell was setup. i test drove the big 4 and liked the silky smoothness of power and handling. I want an american bike that can race with the best of them in Moto GP and win it, and be sucessful on sales

·
La Flama Blanca
7,720 Posts
Put the V-rod engine in the buell, throw on some real fairings and there you go an american contender sport bike. The buells already handle awesome, with a few more ponies and shedding a few pounds from the air cooled sportster engine, theyd be on point.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
Yep that one is interesting.
Think it was motorcylclist mag where Fischer wrote in and thanked them for the kind words in an article on the bike and that he was thrilled for his bike to be in the mag.
Then he went on to say that the bike is nowhere near where he wants it to be and can't wait until he can look back on this time as stepping stones. - paraphrased, basic idea.
So he's a guy that is willing to critique his own bike rather than just accept the praise he was given- sounds promising if he can keep going.
:heyyou:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts