Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be putting a new chain and sprockets on my ZX-10R here in the next few days but before I take it apart I wanted to know if there are any special tools you need to remove the front sprocket?

I tried doing a search for 'front sprocket removal' but couldn't find anything with an answer. My guess is you don't need any special tools but I figure it's better to ask then to get everything apart and find out I do.

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,574 Posts
I would suggest an Air powered Impact gun... But other than that nothing special ...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet, thanks for the feedback guys. I was just asking because my friends 04 Ninja ZX-6RR looks like it needs some sort of special tool to remove his front sprocket.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
all the above and i would break it loose before putt'n on the swingarm stand.mine was so tight i had to put a 2 by 4 in the wheel.
What he said! Leave the bike in neutral. Can't go wrong with a breaker bar.
I ended up wrapping a steel pipe in a towel and put it b/t the swingarm and rear wheel. That fucker was TIGHT.

·
Registered
844 Posts
yea , i had to use a 2' breaker bar and a 4' pipe on the breaker bar.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
yea , i had to use a 2' breaker bar and a 4' pipe on the breaker bar.
Yep, I'd say thats the best bet, that's what I had to use. The sprocket nut can be SUPER tight, so be warned.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i saw a video of a guy put 150 lb. of air with a air gun with bike in gear and it ran straight through his garage-the funniest shit i'd ever seen.lol

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
I guess breaker would be last resort. Impact didn't do a damn thing for me.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Seriously? Maybe the impact gun you had wasn't powerful enough or something because I have a reallly nice impact gun and I've never not been able to get any bolt off.
gun is'nt the problem.air pressure is.you'll need 150+

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yep - there's a pretty big difference between the $29 Harbor Freight special and a name brand gun.

EDIT: Actually the guns I've used all recommend 90psi or so - and I've seen a huge difference in performance between the cheapies and the good ones.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
We used a craftsman impact gun on a 20gal compressor.
Not sure the rating on the gun, but it was even a pain just to break it loose with the breaker bar. That SOB was overtightened or something.

·
Registered
844 Posts
start a poll-who got theirs off with air gun and who did'nt.my snap-on could'nt do it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts