Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, what tools or machinery do you use?? Steep learning curve?? I'm sick and tired of paying the stealership and the associated waiting/trailering. Thanks.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
I have an unusually sweet agreement with my local shop that when the service dept is closed (sun/mon) i can use their equip without interuption. :smile: I do have my own static balance tool @ home so i can take my time with that part.

I know thats not much help but.........
BD

·
Registered
131 Posts
Our tire dealer up here charges $10 to remove and replace. And he disposes of the old tire for free.

Good ole' newbusa is generous with his static balancer for the low, low price of coffee and spare wheel weights.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
I too am looking into getting something to do it myself as the shop I bring them to charges $30 for both wheels off the bike. Not to bad but when I am going through around 20 sets+ a year it adds up.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
zx10ragentorange said:
I too am looking into getting something to do it myself as the shop I bring them to charges $30 for both wheels off the bike. Not to bad but when I am going through around 20 sets+ a year it adds up.

yes is does....$600 at least... :mrgreen: you could pay for a tire changer and a balancer in no time.. I have a friend with Marvics and he spooned on his own wheels because no local shops want to take the risk with his wheels.. he said they really aren't too bad. The rubber is softer and more pliable then you may think

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
busaforhire said:
yes is does....$600 at least... :mrgreen: you could pay for a tire changer and a balancer in no time.. I have a friend with Marvics and he spooned on his own wheels because no local shops want to take the risk with his wheels.. he said they really aren't too bad. The rubber is softer and more pliable then you may think
So how exactly does he do it and with what???

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I mount and balance my own tires. I have three Motion Pro tire irons, a 13" car wheel with some split 1/2 fuel line for padding around the rim and a bottle jack. I made a wheel balancer out of some skate board wheel but I just like to fuk with stuff. There is an online tutorial floating around out there in cyber space. I looked at it before I got started to get some ideas.

It ain't hard. It helps to watch some else do it first using very basic tool. I helps to have a couple of pair of hands.

The local dealers won't even mount tire purchased elsewhere so it made my decision easy. I put around 20,000 miles a year on the all the bike combined so tires go fast.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My previous bike was an 01 ZX-9R. I put new 208ZRs on it myself with tire irons and plastic rim protectors. It was a bitch but the rims still look new. Not a scratch. I did this because my previous bikes always got the rims scratched by the dicks at the shop who didn't give a damn. I would seriously consider building a tire lever which makes breaking the bead a cinch. That's really the hardest part. Used to be an old guy in Huntington Beach who made a living doing tires. He did it all on an inverted 30-gallon drum with rubber padding on it. All by hand. It was amazing to watch. He would remove the old ones and pop on new ones in mere minutes. He has since died. I'll probably either buy new tires at the track or bring new ones there and have the tire guy mount them for me on the 10.

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Ryan Schnitz said:
I like 3... Keep one to hold the tire in place on the rim and the othe two to work the rest of it on...

I use windex to put them on... some soap and water works well too...

Never use WD-40 or anything with oil or silicone in it..
Cool, thanks for the info. Now i just need to find the rest of the setup....
Hey Ryan I may be calling you in the near future for a few things. Do you got any other tire changing tools or balancers???

·
Yankee Racer
14,838 Posts
Big Daddy said:
JJ call ur buddy @ LP :wink:

BD
actually I think I may.:lol: Hey BD if I gets me a good deal do you want in on it???:crackup: I still haven't signed up for the program so let me read the "rules and guidelines" so I don't give racers a bad name.:wink:

·
Registered
41 Posts
I highly recomend the Coats RC100... but then I doubt most of you are doing a few thousand tires per year like I am... :mrgreen: Before the air/electric machines came along, the "gold standard" in many motorcycle shops was the manual Coats 220 that you can still buy for around $800 - it's sturdy and will last forever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts