Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

· PostWhore
2,492 Posts
Ive never had a problem on new tires until today. Had some new bt-16s mounted yesterday, and the first time out they were pretty sketchy, so I went extra slow. First time I have used them, Ive always ran michelins.

· ZX-10R enthusiast
6,612 Posts
I like leavin a blackie on the pavement from a new rear tire :thumbsup:
But yea, I've always been tempted to do a burnout or scrub the sides but I never do.
I'm kinda paranoid about that shit but I've never had issues.

· Registered
1,151 Posts
Burn out on a new tire? Hell no! He wasn't serious, was he?

Tires cost too much and don't last long enough as it is. After I spoon a new set on, I just don't do anything too weird for a short while-say, a few good corners on each side. After that, they are good to go.

· Registered
23,477 Posts
burn out no...but i do take sand paper and just touch up the tires...and take it easy for a 100 miles or so:)
I seen a thread some place on this site you can sand paper so much to even get rid of Chicken Strips. :dontknow::lol::helmet:

· Registered
3,561 Posts
Last thing you want to do is a burn out on a new tyre.
You wanna ride like Bluedevil. Take it slow, baby the throttle, get some heat in the tyres.
Then you can use them proper.
Enjoy the new tyres.

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Last thing you want to do is a burn out on a new tyre.
You wanna ride like Bluedevil. Take it slow, baby the throttle, get some heat in the tyres.
Then you can use them proper.
Enjoy the new tyres.
:eek:t: ...another long timer back :thumbsup:

· Registered
23,477 Posts
Yes been awhile. Almost a year.
Sold the bike. :(
Waiting for the next gen.
No matter.....I remember when you couldn't wait for me to hit the 9s in the 1/4 mile...now it's not if but how fast now so check it out.:heyyou::wink: anyway I hope you get a new one soon :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,606 Posts
When I go out for a race I go on the track with new tires. During our warm up lap I just let the tire scrub in. After that lap I am on it 100%. I go through about 15 sets of tires per season that way. Never a problem to date.

· Registered
2,617 Posts
I am guessing the mounting goo was the culprit more-so than the tire protectant?
:+1: Def. wash your new tires if they left tire snot on them. However new tires don't have mold release agents on them like back in the day. I nearly went down on a cross walk at low speed, a little dew can be a very dangerous thing.

· MIA Post Whore
8,914 Posts
burnouts, beltsanders, sandpaper..... Are you guys serious?!?!?

I change my own tires so I don't worry about some kid with shit for brains going crazy mounting lube. Then I gradually work in more lean angle. 20-30 miles she's ready to go (confidence up). On the track...two laps.

..beltsanders... wow.

· Registered
242 Posts
Throwin' in two cents.... My mechanic friend who mounts my tires wipes them down with brake fluid and it texturizes them well enough that they bite from the get go. Anyone else hear/do this?

· SPLAT!!!
2,367 Posts
Oh my god say it aint so!!!! That fuckin sucks man im sorry! I dont know about a burnout but epople use sandpaper and such, i just use caution for the first 100 or so.

Jesus my stomach wrenched when i saw the post was from you :sad:

· Registered
871 Posts
you need to scrub in new tires that means ride the bike carefully until all the shiney greasy top layer is removed if you only ride in city be extra careful when doing this
:+1:
thats what i do just becareful until the new tire coating is off the tire i get on the freeway and go for a ride sorry about the crash tho man

· Registered
67 Posts
this is another good way to brake in your new tires..... put the bike on a set of stands and hit them with some sand paper to get off the top coat of rubber. if you dont have stands then just sand the tires then roll the bike to get the rest. there is a slick coat on the tires. i have done the same thing with my own bike cause i was in a rush to go out and ride.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.