Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing my seals I think mid next week depending on when my tools show up so wondering if I should do I how to with pics and all when doing the forks.... what ya guys think... worth it or should people not try to rebuild their own forks?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Do it up Garth.
If you don't do it, I will the next time I do mine.

But anybody doing it will probably be using the manual, and the instructions in there are pretty concise..... but it never hurts to have extra 'real' photos to reference.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I might as well do it, I'll stick it up on my page or something and do a write up here on the forums.

I ordered OEM Kawi fork seals and dust seals and I'm going to be using Motul expert fork oil 10W

I'm not going to use the kawi tool they use for the fork compressor I was looking all day for the tools I used to use at the old shop I work at but couldn't find it till I Got home... Traxxion Dynamics has a fork tool kit for 90 bux for the compressor the plate that you need to hold the spring down to undo the fork caps, the rod to bleed the system and a fork oil leveler..... I just got this job today though at this local place called powersports center.... basically the same thing as a cycle gear so thats gonna help me out with the parts I will need here and there but I think tomorrow I will order the fork tool kit from them and hopefully get it within a 2-3 days since they are in GA.

My left one is pretty much fully blown out and it contaminated my brake pads as well and the 14 calipers arent cheap for new pads :-(

MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!! plus I need to put a new set of rubber on the bike as well.... things just keep adding up.... but this sucker needs to be in peak condition for whoopin up on all these slowzukis around here

oh yeah I also have to change my oil to and Im using motul 300v 5w40.... Im sure some people know what that stuff costs for a gallon.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
. Traxxion Dynamics has a fork tool kit for 90 bux for the compressor the plate that you need to hold the spring down to undo the fork caps, the rod to bleed the system and a fork oil leveler.....
please link me to this toolkit.......for Pete's sake....

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
ahh crap theres a toll from uhhhh AH motion pro you put it in a vice its awsome! warning replacing fork seals is garanteed to get for oil on every surrface in your garage! it is a very messy job!

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I saw that thing as well.... I'm going to see how much I can get it for tomorrow and see if I'll get that or this tool.... I didnt mind working with this one only pain is when you compress that spring you almost need another pair of hands to slide the plate in there..... I'll check it out tomorrow.

only thing is that tool costs 130 bux and you also need the rod bleeder which is another 40 bux and a fork oil level gauge is 30 bux so... 200 vs 100 ya know... I'm probably going to go the traxxion kit....

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Trust me if you're going to do fork seal again get the Racetech Spring Compressor. With a 14mm wrench you can compress the spring. Makes life easier. With the Traxxion Dynamics compressor you'll need an extra set of hands. Also the fork level guage they are using looks kinda flimsy. Almost like a medical syringe. Motion Pro's is. We had one at the shop and on the syringe part itself said "One Time Use Only". I have the Proggressive Suspention Fork Oil Level Tool and used it on multiple sets of forks no problems.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Trust me if you're going to do fork seal again get the Racetech Spring Compressor. With a 14mm wrench you can compress the spring. Makes life easier. With the Traxxion Dynamics compressor you'll need an extra set of hands. Also the fork level guage they are using looks kinda flimsy. Almost like a medical syringe. Motion Pro's is. We had one at the shop and on the syringe part itself said "One Time Use Only". I have the Proggressive Suspention Fork Oil Level Tool and used it on multiple sets of forks no problems.

Good point but everyone is in a different situation and rides different or some have better luck than others or in your words"if you're going to do fork seal again" is the question.

For example I bought the OEM tools for my zx9r which wasn’t much before the seals went out the most expensive tool was the Motion Pro seal driver and owned the bike for 5 yrs and then had these tools sitting in the garage. I got almost all my money back(sold them on Ebay) even though I paid full price for those tools years earlier.

Now 4 years later I own a ZX10R and the fork seals are still good with 18k miles the same I had on my ZX9R but after 5yrs of riding and talked with a member on this site that did his with minimal tools his major costs was just the oil and seals….just priorities for me and maybe others but fork tools could sit for years, I don’t mind spending the same type of money on things like my special chain adjuster, that is something that will get used and has many times already. :wink:....just putting all this out there from another perspective :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Good point but everyone is in a different situation and rides different or some have better luck than others or in your words"if you're going to do fork seal again" is the question.

For example I bought the OEM tools for my zx9r which wasn’t much before the seals went out the most expensive tool was the Motion Pro seal driver and owned the bike for 5 yrs and then had these tools sitting in the garage. I got almost all my money back(sold them on Ebay) even though I paid full price for those tools years earlier.

Now 4 years later I own a ZX10R and the fork seals are still good with 18k miles the same I had on my ZX9R but after 5yrs of riding and talked with a member on this site that did his with minimal tools his major costs was just the oil and seals….just priorities for me and maybe others but fork tools could sit for years, I don’t mind spending the same type of money on things like my special chain adjuster, that is something that will get used and has many times already. :wink:....just putting all this out there from another perspective :thumbsup:
You definetly make a good point. I guess cause I have multiple bikes its a tool I use often. Also I change my fork oil every 9K miles. But I'm kinda anal. By the way the Ivan's TRE I bought from you is collecting dust in my garage. I installed it and rode with it a bit but hated the fact that it kept messing with my idle. Even with the adjustment. Also I really didn't notice much difference except at low RPM's. After 7K it really didn't feel different. But thanks for it if I didn't say thank you before. (I think I did though):wink:

·
Registered
186 Posts
:hello::hello:it worths it for sure,so go ahead,we,ll be waitin'for it!!also i'll never forget the waste of money you saved me from not installin' the race exh.cam and valve springs:wink::wink:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
You definetly make a good point. I guess cause I have multiple bikes its a tool I use often. Also I change my fork oil every 9K miles. But I'm kinda anal. By the way the Ivan's TRE I bought from you is collecting dust in my garage. I installed it and rode with it a bit but hated the fact that it kept messing with my idle. Even with the adjustment. Also I really didn't notice much difference except at low RPM's. After 7K it really didn't feel different. But thanks for it if I didn't say thank you before. (I think I did though):wink:
did I really sell you an Ivan's TRE, I know I sold one(just don't remember who) but don't need It as I make my own setup. Looking at some of your other posts today you told Ruthless about a certain pipe needed Tunning or it doesn't doesn't create HP as well and that is what Ivan suggests with his TRE-Tunning (not for HP but performance)especially if your doing the sub-throttle adjustment so not sure went wrong or what you where looking for with the TRE :dontknow:. Also, check out the "performance and tech" section carefully, in the Stickies Ivan tells all how to take care of the "fast Idle" if that's what your talking about if not sorry about that my mistake. :wink:

bloo

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
No when you sold it to me you didn't mislead me at all you were actually very helpful. I wasn't looking to get a TRE to make power by any means. I just wanted one to see what the hype was. Even with the sub-throttle adjustment my bike didn't take very well to the TRE. Weird I guess. Even reading on the forum the various threads it seems like some bikes liked it and others didn't. As far as pipes needing tuning to make power it actually happens alot because the factory ECM's programming doesn't allow a dramatic change in fuel delivery. I find that with almost all full systems require you to lean out the bike to make power.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
No when you sold it to me you didn't mislead me at all you were actually very helpful. I wasn't looking to get a TRE to make power by any means. I just wanted one to see what the hype was. Even with the sub-throttle adjustment my bike didn't take very well to the TRE. Weird I guess. Even reading on the forum the various threads it seems like some bikes liked it and others didn't. As far as pipes needing tuning to make power it actually happens alot because the factory ECM's programming doesn't allow a dramatic change in fuel delivery. I find that with almost all full systems require you to lean out the bike to make power.
Sorry if I forgot who I sold it too it's been awhile, yeah the TRE has many ups and downs for what it's worth. I like it for that on-off throttle abruptness in turns at times like if I hit the mountains but I have a switch and turn it on or off but for the most part it's off and do not do the sub-throttle.

I also run a stock bike with just a slip-on. I have beaten many full system bikes with just my slip-on (no PC like the full systems)so maybe your shedding some light on how that could happen against my slip-on bike :dontknow:...anyway thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

Garth, sorry for the Thread jack, so my contribution is to PM Mr.Lopez. He did his fork seals by himself with no problems and little tools. Tell him to send bloo his details as well I forgot to knock on wood after I said my seals have been good for 18k. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
All I know is that I priced all the tools I would need at Ronayers.com (you can find the Kawasaki part numbers in the tech manual and enter them directly on the ronayers website), PLUS seals and covers and I would have been better off to do it myself and have the tools than to pay the shop to do it..... especially as rough as I am on fork seals.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no prob guys...

I started to make the page on my website its here

http://www.garthman.com/forkseal.htm

I just kinda thre it together earlier today and I still want to list all the the tools you need and I'll also post the copies of the pages in the service manual if needed as well... I Think by the end of next week I'll be doing them.....

let me know the input on that page.....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts