Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I rode my Gen 2 about 60 miles on Saturday and noticed that I was leaking oil at the valve cover gasket. It then dawned on me that I hadn't replaced the valve cover gasket when rebuilding, I re-used the old one. I ordered the gasket for that issue last night, now my other question is should I replace those rubber washers that go with the valve cover or has everybody re-used the rubber washers without an issue? See the attached image for a picture of the washers in question, #92055 is the part I'm referring to.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
In all honesty mate id be surprised if its because your gasket is leaking unless it had been damaged when removing or whilst out, possibly its not seated properly or theirs crap of some description trapped in there. Its the same with the seals as well, i reckon you'v got another issue in there.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you mention it, I do recall the gasket having a very small tear/rip when I removed it but I didn't think much of it and the shop put everything back together so I didn't get to inspect it right before installing it. I also believe there could be some debris or old honda bond like you said. But as for the rubber washers..should I save my money or are those critical a component that needs replacing once removed?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I did this last summer but *have not ridden it yet! So maybe i shouldnt even reply lol..but im pretty sure i used the old ones cause they seemed in good shape. If not, its like Zen working on my bike and i wont mind putting some new ones in. I was also probably too generous with the RTV Sealant i used too but whatever lol.

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f23/valve-cover-gasket-advice-282713.html

Edit - i seemed to still get a good bite on the bolts but then again i torqued them to specs w/out going over FWIW.

Reactions: NinjaLife

·
R.I.P. REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,945 Posts
You notice that that is a shouldered bolt, right? Depending on how old and worn those gaskets are, the bolt will torque down before crushing the gasket there as the shoulder bottoms out. If they've never been replaced, it wouldn't hurt. But it's also not in an area that will get lots of oil. The chances of them leaking any is probably not worth mentioning. Reuse them if you're going to pay more in shipping than what you're spending on the parts.

Reactions: NinjaLife

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I did notice that they are shouldered, and I may hold off on ordering them in that case.
Thanks for that link Cap! the last post from SpazOnaZx gave some good advice about using a steel washer if need be.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Always use a new valve cover gasket for this reason alone. If I remember to buy the ones under the bolts I replace them but I've reused them many times without issues. I've never reused a valve cover gasket no matter what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Always use a new valve cover gasket for this reason alone. If I remember to buy the ones under the bolts I replace them but I've reused them many times without issues. I've never reused a valve cover gasket no matter what it looks like.
Sweet! Thanks for the advice!:thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.