Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Dear MOby,

I just saw your answer regards oil change. My manual says that I need to change oil every 3000 miles. But I only ride about 1000 miles per year (very short commute). By the book, I need to perform oil change every three years. Do I really need to change oil every year? Is it okay to change oil every three years, just because I don’t ride that much?

Thank you
Jay

PS: Just to make myself comfortable, I do oil change once a year.
Read more about Do I Really Have To Change My Oil Every Year? at Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Depends on usage

At one extreme, if you use the bike for short hop journeys regularly, I believe the heating / cooling cycle will introduce condensation moisture into the oil much more readily than longer journeys. This moisture will reduce the effectiveness of the oil.

At the other extreme, if you are doing a lot of performance related activities such as track days, drag racing etc. These put a big strain on the oil and again quickly reduces it's performance.

Either end of the scale, I'd probably change oil quite frequently...Every third track day....Every quarter for short hop use.

Otherwise, stick to the service interval and use a high quality semi synthetic (I use ester based synthetic for track).

Hope that helps.

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
Depends on usage

At one extreme, if you use the bike for short hop journeys regularly, I believe the heating / cooling cycle will introduce condensation moisture into the oil much more readily than longer journeys. This moisture will reduce the effectiveness of the oil.

At the other extreme, if you are doing a lot of performance related activities such as track days, drag racing etc. These put a big strain on the oil and again quickly reduces it's performance.

Either end of the scale, I'd probably change oil quite frequently...Every third track day....Every quarter for short hop use.

Otherwise, stick to the service interval and use a high quality semi synthetic (I use ester based synthetic for track).

Hope that helps.
True, but track days don't pressure the bike at all for normal track guys. Pros are a bit different but not that much, imo.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used Mobil 1 MX4T for a few years. But after having to go to 3 Auto Zones to find 4 quarts of it I switched to Amsoil. Buy a twelve pack and good for year or two. On my ZX-10R I noticed at around 4K miles on the oil, shifting resistance starts to build up requiring just a little bit more pressure on the shifter to shift gears. That and milage is usually my signal its time for an oil change.

Since I live in Texas, I can ride almost year round. If I was up north I would change my oil and filter at the end of the riding season so the motor has fresh oil and the fuel tank is full with fresh fuel and Sta-Bil.
When Spring arrives, the bike is serviced and ready to go.

You can always send oil sample off for testing to determine if it is working and to see what contaminants are in the oil.

Reactions: mpp12

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
here in the island... we drive hard and all year around... every 4K new oil and filter... sometimes just new oil and filter one every 2 changes..

·
The Pace
7,164 Posts
My case of amsoil arrived today. But I usually use it for the cages. Trouble is that I also bought two filters for the 10r. Wasn't thinking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts