Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to install a full akra evo2. I have been reading conflicting opinions on whether or not I need to replace the gaskets or use the originals. I currently have 4k on the bike. 05 ti 10r. All 2 cents appretiated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's your opinion BD?

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
if your in a hurry you could use the old ones for now and order them if you have your old system off thats what I did.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I value your opinion and will take your advice as I am but a squid. The gaskets are ordered but I am impatient.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
If your instructions read the same as mine, they tell you that you don't even use the gaskets if your header studs are short.

Mine (on an '04) were short enough that I could only get a few threads to engage the nuts. I initially bought new gaskets and installed them, but the lack of thread engagement made me nervous, so I removed the gaskets.

Result: no difference whatsoever in sealing with or without the gaskets. So, do what you want.

·
Registered
595 Posts
IMO they are cheap and if you do not install new ones and find out after install you need to replace them, well then the money spent would have been worth the frustration of not having to reinstall the exhaust.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
ive had my headers off an on about 3-4 times.. never replaced the gasket and havent had any leaks..

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
If your instructions read the same as mine, they tell you that you don't even use the gaskets if your header studs are short.

Mine (on an '04) were short enough that I could only get a few threads to engage the nuts. I initially bought new gaskets and installed them, but the lack of thread engagement made me nervous, so I removed the gaskets.

Result: no difference whatsoever in sealing with or without the gaskets. So, do what you want.
Do you know what can happen if you don't use the gaskets? Think of the gasket like a washer. Its a cushion between the head and the head pipes. If you remove the gasket all together then the exhaust will wear itself into the head. You will then need a new head or try to mill what is left. I'm not saying it will happen in a month or a year, but it can happen. This was explained to me by a race engine builder. Makes more than enough sense to me.

Replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
1killer1liter said:
Do you know what can happen if you don't use the gaskets? Think of the gasket like a washer. Its a cushion between the head and the head pipes. If you remove the gasket all together then the exhaust will wear itself into the head. You will then need a new head or try to mill what is left. I'm not saying it will happen in a month or a year, but it can happen. This was explained to me by a race engine builder. Makes more than enough sense to me.

Replace the gaskets.
Do what you want. I have 10k miles on the Akra EVO exhaust w/o the gaskets. Removed them to do some work recently, and there is NO wear on the heads.

Instructions from Akrapovic for EVO exhaust. Pay close attention to the big "CAUTION" note at the begining:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
well there you go.. if you can go without them you can definitely go without changing them.. good info and that pretty much ends that debate in my eyes..

·
Registered
595 Posts
Good point, but I find their word choice humerous; adequate=long enough, so shorter=inadequate?

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hmm, a gasket is just that. I find it difficult seeing a manufacturer telling someone to discard a gasket unless the fit and finish of the aftermarket was not precise.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
deezuhl said:
well there you go.. if you can go without them you can definitely go without changing them.. good info and that pretty much ends that debate in my eyes..
it doesn't in my book regardless of what the instructions say. The bike is designed to have gaskets as an OEM setup AND it makes just a bit of common sense to use gaskets. :1848:

BD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts