Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fork seals on my 04 have just been replaced and they are STILL leaking.
Upon return of the forks I noticed some small vertical scratches along the tubes(?) (the black part)
Anyways, the scratches are deep enough that I can run my finger nail across them and feel the groove that they have dug. I tried to take a pic earlier but it wouldn't come out right and I don't have access to the D40 I usually take pics with.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:heyyou:

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you do I have a perfect set that came off my 04 at about 500 miles that you can have for $300.
I'll look into it Mike, thanks.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
If you do I have a perfect set that came off my 04 at about 500 miles that you can have for $300.
Great deal, wish I had the dough. Cost me $250 just to have the forks seals replaced, wished this thread would have came up a month ago.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
That was a bit irresponsible for the shop to replace the seals when there is visible damage.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That was a bit irresponsible for the shop to replace the seals when there is visible damage.
That's what I was thinking! I noticed it when I picked them up and showed him.
How did the guy who changed out the seals not notice?! I'm cool with the shop owner so I'm gonna have to talk to him about this. Either way, I'm still gonna need to replace them I'd imagine :headshake
How the hell would I get scratches on the forks like that though?

·
Registered
781 Posts
That's what I was thinking! I noticed it when I picked them up and showed him.
How did the guy who changed out the seals not notice?! I'm cool with the shop owner so I'm gonna have to talk to him about this. Either way, I'm still gonna need to replace them I'd imagine :headshake
How the hell would I get scratches on the forks like that though?
debris from your low side? Or maybe when they were handled around they got scratched?

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Anybody know a way of polishing out small imperfections? Just had mine replaced twice and there is still a small leak. The only visible damage is a small nick you practically need a magnifying glass to see.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great deal, wish I had the dough. Cost me $250 just to have the forks seals replaced, wished this thread would have came up a month ago.
thats a lot... damn, i paid 120 to get that done

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
on or off the bike?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
with small imperfections you can polish the nic with a jeweler's stone maybe ya'll can try that 1st if its too deep then you'll have to replace them

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
^thanks, where can I get a jeweler's stone?

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok so the guy I take my work to replaced the seals at no charge, apparently he used a wider seal? or something of the like. Anyways, all seems to be well, I done a few wheelies already and im not seeing any leakage at all. I'm freakin stoked! They were leaking so bad it was getting on my calipers and rotors so I've been holding off on the caliper swap and install of my new alth rotors!!! cant wait for the new brake upgrades now!!!!!
I didnt read the rest of the replys all the way through but i seen a bit of good info on polishing the tubes. thanks for the help guys

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, and for what it's worth, my triple tree stand has come in handy big time.
It takes me 20min to drop the forks and 30 to put them back on. I'm gettin kinda good at it now lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts