Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just as the title states...I'm curious if they are the same. I've got an 04 clean title frame to sell and want to know if it would work on the 2nd generation. I don't want to mislead anyone, but in the same regards don't want to short myself to potential buyers if they do interchange. Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could you elaborate on the differences? I know with Honda for example they claim redesigned frame on the 06 when all that was different was a degree or so difference in the neck angle. You can still build an 06-07 on an 04-05 frame and visa versa.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Could you elaborate on the differences? I know with Honda for example they claim redesigned frame on the 06 when all that was different was a degree or so difference in the neck angle. You can still build an 06-07 on an 04-05 frame and visa versa.
Yes, the look very similar but they're NOT the same and not interchangable.

·
Я - Ребен&#108
3,532 Posts
1. swing arm location is different (lower then 04's)
2. foot peg mounts are different (not interchangable 06's are taller/wider than 04)
3. motor mounts are different (up front, 06's are 23 degrees forward of 04's)
4. subframe, not sure but i think its a different mount also

The reason the frames look simulare is because they retain about 60-80% of their R&D. As each new gen comes up they improve uppon the initial frames R&D (where alot of the cost comes from).

It would cost alot of money and time to start off with a totaly clean design frame from scratch vs. improve uppon a well tested frame.

Look at the 08 frame... Thus far the only stated change is that the stearing head is 10mm more forward, and ram air opening is bigger, but to the naked eye it looks the same, even the frame looks exactly the same, but its not... just by looking it seems as thou it retains about 45-65% of the 06's frame design.

This is true even with the 636 line.... each gen is a steady progression then once they have tweak it as much as they can they come out with a totaly clean design frame....

ok im babling...

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Even the frames that "seem" to look the same can also be quite different on the inside, bracing and such. And though something may mount up, it may handle goofey as the flex and suspension and stuff don't work together.

A good example is in the case of the Kawi dirtbike frames. The KX450 from 06 to 08 is the same in all areas of mounts and looking at it; but the thickness and braces etc on the inside are far different......thus the suspension build is far different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts