Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my new registration on my bike from AAA, it's a 8" x 11", way too big for my wallet(not like the one that came when I got the bike, hand size and can be folded to a credit card size). So I call the DMV and ask if I can get a smaller size, they said no, both the DMV and AAA only give 1 size, BUT you can make a photo copy and reduce the size, since on the reg. the first line does quote "THIS VALIDATED REGISTRANTION CARD OR A FASCIMILE COPY IS TO BE KEPT WITH THE VEHICLE FOR WHICH IS IS ISSUED". Hmmmmm, facsimile huh? that means photo copy, cool! wait, let me call the local police and just double check, so I call and ask for a MOTORCYCLE officer, he says, oh that’s fine, we just make sure that you are who are and the bike is in your name yada . . . , Hmmm ok, so I call the CHP in Culver City, since its the CHP that does most of the pulling us over. So I get a hold of and officer there and explaind the whole story to him and he says NO!, I want to see THE ORIGINAL, not the copy, I explained to him that this piece of paper the the STATE OF CALIFORNIA gave me stated a facsimile is legal. He said, nope, I would ask for the original if I pulled you over.

ahhhh, isn't our culture just wonderful, I wonder if they are going to start doing the bike seizure with out a trial in Cali soon?
The right hand can't talk to the FU**ing left

:bs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Unfortunately, the CHP officer is wrong. If he were to cite you for it a judge would throw it out. I spend more time in court schooling these tools on there over zealous 'safety agenda'. They tend to take things above the law because most people don't challenge them in court. I've beaten three tickets this year issued by these tools because they showed up to court unprepared to explain or even understand angular velocity or basic laws of physics and why they can't just point their radar gun and issue a ticket.:rolleyes:

I wish we wouldn't renew their contract or at least relegate them to commercial enforcement only. That way the extra revenue could go to the local LE who are actually doing the community a service rather than hasseling people just trying to get from point A to point B.:mrgreen:

I suspect the CHP attitude comes from getting their lunch money taken when they were kids.:crackup:
 

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that's what I thought trying to be fully legal/legit. So out of curiosity, I called and asked for a supervisor at the DMV, they lady wouldn't tranx so I explained the the situation, she says so then to be on the safe side, why not make a copy, keep the copy at home and carry the original with you, I was stunned, didn't know what to say, mam, wouldn't that defeat the WHOLE purpose of my call?

I said thank you, and figured the DMV didn't hire a 6 year grad from Yale.
 

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
Joined
·
4,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FAF said:
Total BS , a photocopy is fine, the Chip was just being a prick.


Well I just called the CHP in Culver City asking for a supervisor, there were non and was tranx to the same officer I spoke to earlier and he said, you can carry a copy of the reg. but YOU WILL GET A TICKET if it is not the original copy, it will be a fix-t ticket for $10 and the 2nd time it will go up.

So in other words the STATE of California was INCORRECT stating: "THIS VALIDATED REGISTRANTION CARD OR A FASCIMILE COPY IS TO BE KEPT WITH THE VEHICLE FOR WHICH IS IS ISSUED".

I hope I am not the only registered owner of a vehicle in this state out of 10 million who noticed this?
 

·
Rent this space
Joined
·
6,590 Posts
Tell you what lady , why dont I just take a picture of my bike and tape it to the side of my car and leave my bike in the garage..............WTF ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
828 Posts
my cali regs, says and i quote: "This card or a copy shall be kept in the vehicle for which it was issued. This requirement does not apply when the vehicle is left unattended. It need not be displayed, however, it must be presented to any peace officer upon demand."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
bradshow01 said:
my cali regs, says and i quote: "This card or a copy shall be kept in the vehicle for which it was issued. This requirement does not apply when the vehicle is left unattended. It need not be displayed, however, it must be presented to any peace officer upon demand."
Yep, and that is when the judge turns to the asshat and says "Did the defendant present you with the registration or copy thereof?" to which the CHP replies "Yes your Honor." to which the judge replies "Case dismissed. Next!"

:wink:

Fight the power, people.
 

·
Still here
Joined
·
9,059 Posts
If it is stated on the original card that a copy is okay, than that would also be ON the copy and could be "politely" pointed out to the officer on the scene. Or was that line somewhere else?

I hate having to go to court to prove what they should already understand.

Had to for a tag transfer for which I had the paper work but hadn't hit the computer yet. Basically a temp registration on an existing tag rather than a paper tag.

Guy thought he was doing me a favor not arresting me and impouning my bike as he seemed to think, despite the paper and my clear explanation, that I taken my tag from one bike and placed it on another for the night.

Funny thing is that he really wasn't being a dick as he gave us a warning on the 10 or 15 over.
But I had to go to court (60 miles away)and show THE SAME temporary paper to the magistrate who rolled her eyes and sent me on my way.

You'd think with all the lawyers in the world we would start educating out police to a higher level even if we have to pay more. Waste less time and make the important stuff stick in court.

Our city (Coral Gables) has traditionally paid higher than average and offered incentives to get good candidates.

A story of a guy who wanted to be a cop but scored TOO HIGH on the evaluation was denied because they said he would get bored and move on quickly thus wasting training money.I think he ended up getting in eventually, paid for his training or the news pressure I forget.

I think he even had some money in the bank but wanted to make a difference rather than shuffle papers or sell widgets and he had to fight for the privilege because he was "too intelligent."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
If it is stated on the original card that a copy is okay, than that would also be ON the copy and could be "politely" pointed out to the officer on the scene. Or was that line somewhere else?

I hate having to go to court to prove what they should already understand.

Had to for a tag transfer for which I had the paper work but hadn't hit the computer yet. Basically a temp registration on an existing tag rather than a paper tag.

Guy thought he was doing me a favor not arresting me and impouning my bike as he seemed to think, despite the paper and my clear explanation, that I taken my tag from one bike and placed it on another for the night.

Funny thing is that he really wasn't being a dick as he gave us a warning on the 10 or 15 over.
But I had to go to court (60 miles away)and show THE SAME temporary paper to the magistrate who rolled her eyes and sent me on my way.

You'd think with all the lawyers in the world we would start educating out police to a higher level even if we have to pay more. Waste less time and make the important stuff stick in court.

Our city (Coral Gables) has traditionally paid higher than average and offered incentives to get good candidates.

A story of a guy who wanted to be a cop but scored TOO HIGH on the evaluation was denied because they said he would get bored and move on quickly thus wasting training money.I think he ended up getting in eventually, paid for his training or the news pressure I forget.

I think he even had some money in the bank but wanted to make a difference rather than shuffle papers or sell widgets and he had to fight for the privilege because he was "too intelligent."
:crackup:

I'm with you on going to court. Sadly, the ambiguity of the legal system and the lack of any serious oversight committee for police actions make this our only recourse.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Static IP said:
So I got my new registration on my bike from AAA, it's a 8" x 11", way too big for my wallet(not like the one that came when I got the bike, hand size and can be folded to a credit card size). So I call the DMV and ask if I can get a smaller size, they said no, both the DMV and AAA only give 1 size, BUT you can make a photo copy and reduce the size, since on the reg. the first line does quote "THIS VALIDATED REGISTRANTION CARD OR A FASCIMILE COPY IS TO BE KEPT WITH THE VEHICLE FOR WHICH IS IS ISSUED". Hmmmmm, facsimile huh? that means photo copy, cool! wait, let me call the local police and just double check, so I call and ask for a MOTORCYCLE officer, he says, oh that’s fine, we just make sure that you are who are and the bike is in your name yada . . . , Hmmm ok, so I call the CHP in Culver City, since its the CHP that does most of the pulling us over. So I get a hold of and officer there and explaind the whole story to him and he says NO!, I want to see THE ORIGINAL, not the copy, I explained to him that this piece of paper the the STATE OF CALIFORNIA gave me stated a facsimile is legal. He said, nope, I would ask for the original if I pulled you over.

ahhhh, isn't our culture just wonderful, I wonder if they are going to start doing the bike seizure with out a trial in Cali soon?
The right hand can't talk to the FU**ing left

:bs:
...if you called back, and got a different CHP officer, he/she would prolly tell you it was ok. Sounds to me that particular occifer had a bad CHiP on his shoulder... :wink:

D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
595 Posts
Static IP said:
Yeah that's what I thought trying to be fully legal/legit. So out of curiosity, I called and asked for a supervisor at the DMV, they lady wouldn't tranx so I explained the the situation, she says so then to be on the safe side, why not make a copy, keep the copy at home and carry the original with you, I was stunned, didn't know what to say, mam, wouldn't that defeat the WHOLE purpose of my call?

I said thank you, and figured the DMV didn't hire a 6 year grad from Yale.
I think this must be the same lady that thought it necessary to put brail on the drive through ATM's
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top