1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay here it is fellas .

You Will Need :

Yes this is not a ZX10R its My K6 GSXR 750

1. Can of Night-Shades BUY FROM OREILY'S- NAPA - SCHUCKS - AUTO-ZONE or EBAY.

2. Can of Krylon Fission Clear Coat
3. 1000 Grit Wet Sand Paper
4. 92% Rubbing Alcohol
5. Microfiber applicators or washcloths
6. Rubbing Compound

FIRST :

a) Take your taillight out by taking off both seats.
b) Remove the 2 Bolts on the rear seat they are 10MM
c) Look inside the tail towards the tail panels that hold your blinker you will see a Phillips screw holding the panel bracket . Take that screw out
d) Start prying the pop rivets off the tail panels ( Trust me they are junk and will break - Well not junk just not made to be taken off then reused )

e. Gently pull away panels and take the brake light and blinkers out of the trim . ( THE SIDE PANELS DO NOT NEED TO COME COMPLETELY OFF BUT I LIKE TO CLEAN EVERYTHING IF ITS COMING OFF CALL ME ANAL BUT THAT'S ME )

Here are a few pics :

Our Pop Rivets VS the Napa Ones

Second :[br]

1. Prep Your Lights by washing it with rubbing alcohol and allow it to dry
2. Tape up any area you don't want painted or to possibly get wet ( Any Connectors or openings into light )
3. Take your sandpaper and get it wet and start sanding the light all you are doing is scuffing it and sand off any words like CLEAR ALTERNATIVES etc etc
4. Allow to dry and look for any shiny spots ( These are high spots ) sand them again
5. REMEMBER ANY GOOD PAINTED SURFACE IS AS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS PREP . Its not the painting that makes a great project its the prep
6. Once its sanded wash the light again with a cloth dousted in rubbing alcohol The 91% bottle with red writing works best..
7. Allow it to dry

Third:

1. Shake the crap outta yer can
2. Spray the rim or edges with your nozzle about 6 - 10 inches away
3. No sweep the face of the light keeping that same distance on your return pass cover the first sweep 50 % this is the overlap

4. Allow to dry 5 minutes and repeat until your desired darkness is achieved
5. Allow to dry 2 hours or less depending on how hot it is in your painting area
6. Once that is done grab your clear coat and do the exact same thing . If your clear is a little foggy don't worry allow it to dry it will be clear
7. I put 6 heavy coats on mine
If you mess it up either wet sand it or quickly remove it with acetone

Last :

REASSEMBLE . I Plugged in my light to check the depth of darkness and make sure i didnt want it darker before I buttoned it back up .. Heres my pics

NIGHTTIME INSTALL

NO BRAKE PRESSED :

BRAKE PRESSED:

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just so everyone knows the hardest part is disassembling ... ALSO allow the clear to CURE FULLY before you take your first ride. I recommend 12 hours in a moderate climate ( 45-60 Degrees ) and 6 Hours in a warm climate ( 60 and up )
Humid Climates all Parts should Cure INDOORS

·
Registered
96 Posts
man i did this to my 10 last week and it worked great on the headlights and the tail lights but on the turn signals it looked great when sprayed but when it dryed it had cracks all in it. so i ended up buying smoked turn signal off ebay to fix this mess that it caused, and im no stranger to painting something at all.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I would love to do this to the Gen 3 front turn signals but then theres a pair on ebay for sale, I just don't want the turn signals to be really dark

·
Registered
306 Posts
nice right up, i dk what i would do without nightshades, everything i own has something tinted on it hahah :thumbsup:

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I would love to do this to the Gen 3 front turn signals but then there's a pair on e-bay for sale, I just don't want the turn signals to be really dark
Clear alternatives has a semi dark set they just don't look as clean ... they are a tad bit too brown for me ... look at the rear section half disassembled . there is one blinker still installed its a clear alternatives smoke ... see how brown it is... I LOVE NIGHTSHADES .. Of course I live in washington state where hand signals are legal as shit ... don't even need blinkers .. just mirrors ..

Anyone concerned with it chipping or whatever .. I sprayed rattle clear on the front blinkers and it just worried me cause the blinkers were up so high on mirrors and i broke out the gun and compressor and clear coated it with crossfire from napa ... forget the ratio but they provide the ratio if you need it .. im thinking it was 4 / 2 / 1 ( 4 clear - 2 reducer - 1 hardener ) NOT SURE ...

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would love to do this to the Gen 3 front turn signals but then theres a pair on ebay for sale, I just don't want the turn signals to be really dark
Whats the cost ? Are they aftermarket or oem tinted .. VHT Night Shades is 12 - 17 a can , 5 on sandpaper, 5 on rattle clear .. Do the math ...the VHT will do your bike and like 3 others .

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
man i did this to my 10 last week and it worked great on the headlights and the tail lights but on the turn signals it looked great when sprayed but when it dryed it had cracks all in it. so i ended up buying smoked turn signal off ebay to fix this mess that it caused, and im no stranger to painting something at all.
You did your headlights ? I heard some shit about them being a different composite and nothing would adhere to it... including film.. I just never tried it..I always did the lens covers so it was reversible due to cost to reverse If i got too many fix it tickets

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you need help disassembling your tail on your zx10 lemme know PM is best Im experienced in tail disassembly from 2004 to 2009 ..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts