Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been doing this for years and figured i would share it.

tool needed:

12X1.5 tap
hammer
small punch or bit
12X1.5 threaded rod stock
2 matching nuts
1 matching lock washer
1 oring

1. measure the length of the CCT fully extended from end to end, this tells you the mean lenght of the rod stock.

2. Disassemble the CCT

3. no drilling needed, tap the exisiting hole from the motor side out through the threaded side.

3. cut rod to length, leaving length for both nuts and lock washer.

4. Drill through nut on one face of the nut into the rod(all the way through if you want). Use a roll pin or some equivalent to lock the nut to the end of the threaded rod.

5.Assemble.

crappy phone pics....Lord I apologize.

Attachments

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
as a quick follow up, i have used this on my ZX6R, ZX10 and CRF450F which are notorious for failing tensioners.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
as a quick follow up, i have used this on my ZX6R, ZX10 and CRF450F which are notorious for failing tensioners.
Surprised no one has responded to this that's a $60(or more if you buy OEM) savings for almost free if your CCT goes out or not adjusting right with the OEM spring......I have the APE manual model for the 1st gen but may give this a go to see how it compares....maybe even include it in the "How TO" section of this forum....just may need more or better pictures what to punch out etc...but overall looks good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Looks great...But I just an a.p.e. like last week :lol:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As another side note to add. I have found that when installing, use the Spring loaded version to get your starting manual length. When removing the stock spring one,remove the spring first, then remove. This gives you the current tension. From there, you adjust the manual to the same length and can tweak for sound from there.

This way you know you aren't over tight and slowly tighten with caution(if needed).

This can help those who are installing for the first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts